If Only We Listened

Discussion in 'Politics' started by Kevin_Kennedy, Dec 1, 2008.

1. Kevin_Kennedy

Kevin_Kennedy Defend Liberty

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +2,027
  2. Amanda

Amanda Calm as a Hindu cow

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +1,006
    I like Ron Paul but I think his ideas are far enough out there that most Americans knew he didn't have much of a chance at the presidency. If he'd reeled in some of his more astonishing Libertarian views I think he would have done much better.

3. dilloduck

dilloduck Diamond Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +6,403
    If you are not a Republican or a Democrat you don't have a chance. They run the business.

4. Kevin_Kennedy

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +2,027
    Why should he have "reeled in" any of his views? I think that would have been a little disingenuous, and I'm glad he was honest.

And dillo, Ron Paul is a Republican, which is why he got the platform to announce his views.

5. dilloduck

dilloduck Diamond Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +6,403
    Sorry but He will always be a libertarian in my book. One who sold out to try to get into the big game. Even the Republican party barely acknowleged his existence.

6. Annie

Annie Diamond Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +4,770
    For the most part I don't think it was Ron Paul's ideas or views, rather the fringe that supported him and the more mainstream that included the fringe.

7. Amanda

Amanda Calm as a Hindu cow

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +1,006
    Why? To win and have a chance to do some good. I applaud his honesty, it's just no way to win in American politics. And yes, he is registered as a Republican but that doesn't mean he isn't a Libertarian at heart. Some might call that disingenuous, but I'd call it smart.

8. Kevin_Kennedy

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +2,027
    He certainly has some libertarian-esque beliefs, but he's as much a "traditional conservative" in the fashion of Robert Taft, as he is a Libertarian. The Republican Party barely acknowledged him because he represented a threat to the status quo.

9. Caligirl

Caligirl Oh yes it is too!

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +240
    Perot got over 20% of the vote, so it *could* happen. I feel very positive for the future of third parties. Obama showed what tremendous power the internet has to organize and raise small donations to staggering numbers.

I think the libertarians here should organize now, maybe contact a 2012 potential candidate now - and get going now building an internet presence. The stranglehold of the two party system can certainly crack wide open if a third party takes control of organizing a movement via the internet.

Most young people are not affiliated with a party, and the same globalization and demographic shifts that favor the dems will for sure favor third parties.

• Thank You! Thank You! x 1
    Last edited: Dec 1, 2008
  10. Kevin_Kennedy

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +2,027
    Perot was also a billionaire who was able to use his personal fortune to get his name and message out to the public. The internet is a powerful tool, but as Ron Paul's campaign proved, without mainstream media support a candidate doesn't have a shot. Ron Paul was bigger on the internet than any other candidate running, but he was ridiculed and neglected when it came to the mainstream media. He got over 1 million votes but too many voters heard how we was a "kook" or a "fringe candidate" with no shot at winning.

And third party candidates are even worse off. Without Perot's money they can't get the exposure needed to get into the debates, and getting into the debates, in my opinion, is absolutely essential for any candidate that even hopes to make a dent in the establishment.