If only they all had guns

I'm skeptical about any direct cause and effect. What were the violent crime rates in those pistol-packing states before concealed carry? Did concealed carry actually drop the violent crime rates?

Crime went down in Washington DC after the Supreme Court ruled against the strict anti gun laws there.

Just something to think about.
It's anecdotal until proven. Would you govern based on anecdotal evidence?

It is proven, even the anti gun nuts in DC admitted it.

Anyone who has served in the military knows the power of class. Give a grunt a stripe and they become supreme commander of those without. I have been reading Vollmann's 'Rising up, Rising down' on the Russian revolution and the Kulaks, give a peasant power and all death breaks lose. Weird that those who worship guns, worship freedom, for me, given or taken, I'll take a punch in the mouth anytime over a fight with a 9mm. Bang bang you're both now dead.

"Political power grows out of the barrel of a gun." Mao Tse Tung

What you seem to be ignoring is that when EVERYONE has guns that sort of crap doesn't occur. It's when only ONE group has those guns that things get nasty. Why do you insist on ignoring that simple fact? Hmmmm???

But a BB gun wasn't produced at the mall was it? It was a lethal weapon. And I don't have a phobia about guns. I haver a phobia about people with edgy tempers, "Rambo complexes" and lethal weapons all mixed up in a public place.

Nothing is more frightening than a hot headed person who thinks himself either invulnerable or as a crusader packing heat in public. The "Dirty Harry" mindset is one of dire consequences.

And yet, those states where CCW's are easy to obtain are also, paradoxically, the most peaceful. How you explain that Willis?

I'm skeptical about any direct cause and effect. What were the violent crime rates in those pistol-packing states before concealed carry? Did concealed carry actually drop the violent crime rates?

It's good, and absolutely proper to be sceptical, however there are many criminologists studies that show what I posted to be absolutely correct. As far as your question about crime rates you are correct that in most areas it had no measurable effect do to the historically low crime rates any way. However, many counties (the best study is one that went county by county to compile the statistics) did see a significant drop in crime after the laws were passed.

Conversely where guns have been outlawed we see a corresponding increase in crime as well. This too is well documented. Correlation does not equal causation is a scientifc maxim that can't be ignored. But, and it's a very big but, when the correlations are this strong both on the pro and negative side, one has to pay attention to the facts in evidence.

Conceal Carry Baby! Dont leave home with out packing heat.

And yet, those states where CCW's are easy to obtain are also, paradoxically, the most peaceful. How you explain that Willis?

It's good, and absolutely proper to be sceptical, however there are many criminologists studies that show what I posted to be absolutely correct. As far as your question about crime rates you are correct that in most areas it had no measurable effect do to the historically low crime rates any way. However, many counties (the best study is one that went county by county to compile the statistics) did see a significant drop in crime after the laws were passed.

Conversely where guns have been outlawed we see a corresponding increase in crime as well. This too is well documented. Correlation does not equal causation is a scientifc maxim that can't be ignored. But, and it's a very big but, when the correlations are this strong both on the pro and negative side, one has to pay attention to the facts in evidence.
Personally I own a 12 gage shotgun for home defense. I do not hunt, but I appreciate hunters and do not begrudge them arms. I do have issues with conceal carry though. I can see situations becoming tragedies when a hand gun is readily available. Tempers flare, words are exchanged and some Dirty Harry wannabe whips out his gun and before thinking about the consequences, pulls the trigger.

Folks who should think twice about driving due to poor reflexes and vision are now armed and in public. Policemen who under go far more rigorous training than the average boob on the street are more reluctant to grab their side arms and engage. I find it all too unnecessarily dangerous to us innocent bystanders.

I can't remember the name of the towns now, but back in the 80s there was one town that passed a law requiring all their adult citizens to carry guns. They had so many exception, it pretty much amounted to, "unless you don't want to.." Didn't matter. Crime went down almost 100% overnight. A nearby city had their crime go up by 30%. Don't know what the nearby city ended up doing about it but they were sure complaining loudly. Wish I could remember the name of the town, I think it was down south somewhere.

Personally I own a 12 gage shotgun for home defense. I do not hunt, but I appreciate hunters and do not begrudge them arms. I do have issues with conceal carry though. I can see situations becoming tragedies when a hand gun is readily available. Tempers flare, words are exchanged and some Dirty Harry wannabe whips out his gun and before thinking about the consequences, pulls the trigger.

Folks who should think twice about driving due to poor reflexes and vision are now armed and in public. Policemen who under go far more rigorous training than the average boob on the street are more reluctant to grab their side arms and engage. I find it all too unnecessarily dangerous to us innocent bystanders.

I really suggest you do some research on your concerns. You will find them wholly unfounded. CCW laws have been relaxed for over a decade now in most states and the situation you describe has yet to occur. I don't doubt that it certainly could but it hasn't yet and that tells me something.

The last time a lot of innocent bystanders were shot in a shootout was by the good old NYPD. It is a sad fact, but most cops are not well trained in the use of their firearms.

"All nine people wounded during a dramatic confrontation between police and a gunman outside the Empire State Building were struck by bullets fired by the two officers, police said Saturday, citing ballistics evidence."

Read more: NYPD: 9 shooting bystander victims hit by police gunfire | Fox News

I can't remember the name of the towns now, but back in the 80s there was one town that passed a law requiring all their adult citizens to carry guns. They had so many exception, it pretty much amounted to, "unless you don't want to.." Didn't matter. Crime went down almost 100% overnight. A nearby city had their crime go up by 30%. Don't know what the nearby city ended up doing about it but they were sure complaining loudly. Wish I could remember the name of the town, I think it was down south somewhere.

Kennesaw GA. The crime drop was not that significant as Kennesaw is a small town but the crime rates in the surrounding areas have indeed gone up.

Forum List

Back