If Obama defeats Romney...

No time to read the whole thread--house guests arriving shortly and we aren't ready--but I'm getting strong vibes that if Romney is the nominee, he will pick Christie as the VP. And that will be a very strong ticket.

There's a large number of us though who would not look adversely on a Cain/Gingrich ticket as I'm pretty sure Cain would choose Newt as his running mate.

Then there is the Ron Paul/Gary Johnson ticket that looks very likely if by some long shot Paul won the nomination. That one though I think is iffy to beat Obama.

No clue who Bachmann, Huntsman, or Santorum would choose but I think it right now looks unlikely that any of them will be either the nominee or the VP pick.

Christie won't accept it. He's made himself absolutely clear. He's honoring his commitment to his state. Good for him.

I'd love to see Romney tap Cain as VP.... mainly because the left would go ape-shit. :lol:

I wouldn't go "apeshit" over Romney choosing Cain. What the GOP does is of very little interest to me.

You should probably pay a little attention since they will be in power after the next election.

God Almighty will speak to the Evangelicals and tell them to Vote Romney and make obie wan go back to the windy city..

Why Not? He spoke to our last president and told him to invade Iraq...or so he said:

George Bush: 'God told me to end the tyranny in Iraq' | World news | The Guardian

"George Bush has claimed he was on a mission from God when he launched the invasions of Afghanistan and Iraq, according to a senior Palestinian politician in an interview to be broadcast by the BBC later this month.
Mr Bush revealed the extent of his religious fervour when he met a Palestinian delegation during the Israeli-Palestinian summit at the Egpytian resort of Sharm el-Sheikh, four months after the US-led invasion of Iraq in 2003.

One of the delegates, Nabil Shaath, who was Palestinian foreign minister at the time, said: "President Bush said to all of us: 'I am driven with a mission from God'. God would tell me, 'George go and fight these terrorists in Afghanistan'. And I did. And then God would tell me 'George, go and end the tyranny in Iraq'. And I did."

Mr Bush went on: "And now, again, I feel God's words coming to me, 'Go get the Palestinians their state and get the Israelis their security, and get peace in the Middle East'. And, by God, I'm gonna do it."

Mr Bush, who became a born-again Christian at 40, is one of the most overtly religious leaders to occupy the White House, a fact which brings him much support in middle America."

should Obama thank the evangelicals for their bigotry?

Ed Rollins said last night that over 20% of evangelicals will not vote for Romney because he is a Mormon. That's amazing.

I don't like Romney..and I don't plan to vote for him. But he's never injected his religion into the political debates or conversation. It should not be a factor.
agree. I lived in Massachusetts when he was governor and he NEVER injected his faith in to his governorship.

Yep.

And the funny thing is..no Democrat is going to make this an issue. This is purely on the right.

And the funny thing is..no Democrat is going to make this an issue. This is purely on the right.

Well, let's hope that's true. I am seriously disgusted with Barack Obama at this point, but I really do, even now, believe he has a little more class than that.

it may be more than that and it will be some "main-streamers" too.

IF romney is seen as the prohibitive fav. at some point just as the primaries wind up, the Networks et al will roll-out with specials on Mormonism and we all know, or that is those of us right or left minus our heads up our 'denial' asses that they will be negative in connotation every teeny weeny chance they get.
I have read the book or Morman, and there are some far out stories, dictum, dogma etc. granted.......but the Old Testament isn't exactly free of its own issues either. Won't matter;)

His vp pick should he win the nomination will solidify the base. I see him picking a hard right conservative.

Funny you should say that. I saw a republican and democratic pudit suggesting that he might be thinking about Herman Cain. Given his behavior toward Cain, that's not so farfetched. It would be a more exciting ticket then say, Romney/Pawlenty..but not as safe.

it would be akin to mccain picking sawwah...

and that didn't go so well.

Ed Rollins said last night that over 20% of evangelicals will not vote for Romney because he is a Mormon. That's amazing.

I don't like Romney..and I don't plan to vote for him. But he's never injected his religion into the political debates or conversation. It should not be a factor.
agree. I lived in Massachusetts when he was governor and he NEVER injected his faith in to his governorship.

Yep.

you are fucking mad with rabies....go get some shots. .....and rehab.

I don't think evangelicals are really that bigotted, nor do I think they will support Obama over Romney.

I don't think evangelicals are really that bigotted, nor do I think they will support Obama over Romney.

I never said they'd support obama over romney. I said they'd stay home, which Obama would appreciate.

If?

Would it make any real difference either way?

Probably not. The people in this country resemble those in the movie "The Matrix" more with each passing day. Sheep...being led around to their food and water.

should Obama thank the evangelicals for their bigotry?

No, they should thank the GOP Establishment of being so afraid of the Tea Party and Evangelicals (happy to take your vote, not interested in your opinion) that they foisted a candidate they knew they didn't want on them.

Romney sucked as a candidate in 2008. He's pretty much sucked as a candidate his entire career, which is why he's lost 3 elections for every one that he won.

And it's not bigotry to have legitimate concerns about a cult that wants to play politics, but doesn't want to leave any fingerprints at the crime scene.

I'm just guessing at the percentage of Republicans who call themselves evangelical, but it's probably close to 20%..? So Ed Rollins, at this stage of posturing for the nomination, claims that 20% of THEM refuse to vote for Romney. I think that obviously remains to be seen and most likely if given the choice of Obama winning or not winning, they will join the other 80% of their fellow evangelicals, hold their nose and vote for the Mormon... Just my opinion. I'd still like to see the Rollins quote though...

Actually, the percentage of self-described Evangelicals in the Republican base is about 44%, and about 41% of them won't vote for a Mormon. (The real number is probably a lot higher, but we have to assume some of them don't want the pollster to think badly of them.)

Here's the thing, though. 19% of independents won't vote for a Mormon. 27% of Democrats won't.

But here's where are falling into the trap the MSM and Democrats are laying for you. Five minutes after Romney gets the nomination, they are going to do a bunch of stories about Mormonism and Mormon splinter groups like the Fundementalist Latter Day Saints. They are going to tell you all about their crazy beliefs and whacky history.

And it ain't gonna be pretty.

I'm very skeptical that one would see such a large effect (20% fewer evangelicals voting for Romney than they would for a non-Mormon Christian). Remember that after Obama captured the nomination high-profile pro-Hillary groups were vowing they would never vote for him. In the end, people mostly voted their party and the pro-Hillary groups' dissatisfaction proved a non-factor. And even if hard-right evangelicals do spurn Romney, it will be very hard to disentangle the religious aspects from the political, since Romney is well to their left politically.

Even pastor Jeffress conceded that religion wouldn't play a deciding role for him in the general election. He urged people to support Perry over Romney because he considered the latter a non-Christian. However, he also said he preferred Romney to Obama, a vowed Christian, because he preferred Romney's politics.

The pro-Hillary Groups didn't think Obama was the follower of a false prophet.

That is what Evangelicals think about Mormons.

Forum List

Back