If music gives you goosebumps, your brain might be special

A thousand thanks for this OP. This phenomenon has happened to me all my life, with different pieces of music, Madame Butterfly's solo in Un Bel Di Vedremo, Vaughn Williams The Lark Ascending, Springsteen's guitar solo in Because the Night, Ernest Gold's Exodus, to name a few. It's going to happen again in a minute because I am listening to Dvorak's String Quartet, No. 12 in F, "The American", lento.

I thought that this experience was a weirdness unique to me as an individual. I was never able to describe it to another person. It's wonderful to find out that others have the same reaction and that it actually has a name, a French name like "frission." I remember reading an article on it that said that some 40-50% of people have it, but apparently I can't spell it well enough to find the article via an internet search.

It seems that human brains are not all wired the same. I think that those of us who have this capacity get an extra treat in life.

It doesn't mean you are special. It happens to everyone when we hear a song that evokes an emotional response. Lol. I mean seriously? These were questions I was asking when I was like 5. :D

It doesn't mean you are special. It happens to everyone when we hear a song that evokes an emotional response. Lol. I mean seriously? These were questions I was asking when I was like 5. :D

What I find is that some songs/singers do and most don't. The Toys do it for me as does much Tchaikovsky.

Greg

Maybe not. Working link? Story? Point?

the link works. just click on it.

The link is working now. Good! Then I must be a very special person because I more than get goosebumps, I've devoted my life to music and audio research and reproduction, even to the point of creating my own playback technology.

A thousand thanks for this OP. This phenomenon has happened to me all my life, with different pieces of music, Madame Butterfly's solo in Un Bel Di Vedremo, Vaughn Williams The Lark Ascending, Springsteen's guitar solo in Because the Night, Ernest Gold's Exodus, to name a few. It's going to happen again in a minute because I am listening to Dvorak's String Quartet, No. 12 in F, "The American", lento.

I thought that this experience was a weirdness unique to me as an individual. I was never able to describe it to another person. It's wonderful to find out that others have the same reaction and that it actually has a name, a French name like "frission." I remember reading an article on it that said that some 40-50% of people have it, but apparently I can't spell it well enough to find the article via an internet search.

It seems that human brains are not all wired the same. I think that those of us who have this capacity get an extra treat in life.

Musical scales are based on tones that appeal to emotions.

Major=Happy

Minor= Sad

Harmonic Minor= Mexicanny

Melodic Minor= Pretty Dazzly Jazz

Pentatonic= Blues/Rock

iu

^Song in Major scale.

What I find is that some songs/singers do and most don't. The Toys do it for me as does much Tchaikovsky.

Greg

Well I didn't mean it happens for everyone with every musician. :) I mean it happens to everyone when they hear a certain song or whatever. Music is powerful.

There is a distinction to be made between knowledge and appreciation of music, and knowledge of scales run up and down on the piano, thumb under, the torture that this is, and this specific neurological/physiological phenomenon, experienced by some but not all.

I haven't arrived at the correct wording to express this, but suffice it to say that I note among some in the U.S. population a tendency to deny that individual people have innate differences and a tendency to insist, against all evidence, that all of us are all the same or should be.

There is a distinction to be made between knowledge and appreciation of music, and knowledge of scales run up and down on the piano, thumb under, the torture that this is, and this specific neurological/physiological phenomenon, experienced by some but not all.

I haven't arrived at the correct wording to express this, but suffice it to say that I note among some in the U.S. population a tendency to deny that individual people have innate differences and a tendency to insist, against all evidence, that all of us are all the same or should be.

I think the vast majority of people have heard a song that has given them goosebumps. This doesn't mean you are special at all. Lol.

Generally speaking, most people share the ability to be stimulated by sounds, sights, scents, tastes, etc.

I think the vast majority of people have heard a song that has given them goosebumps. This doesn't mean you are special at all. Lol.

Dummy, I just said that. Apparently, those who experience this phenomenon are different neurologically from those who don't. This is not a discussion that involves anyone being "special." It's a discussion of those who have a trait and those that don't have it.

Generally speaking, most people share the ability to be stimulated by sounds, sights, scents, tastes, etc.
Vestibular sensations are not nearly as neat as kinetic... to include prognosticating abilities..

Dummy, I just said that. Apparently, those who experience this phenomenon are different neurologically from those who don't. This is not a discussion that involves anyone being "special." It's a discussion of those who have a trait and those that don't have it.

Wow. What a miserable bitch, but anyways, maybe you should read the OP title again because it certainly does state "special" in there.

Wow. What a miserable bitch, but anyways, maybe you should read the OP title again because it certainly does state "special" in there.

Geez, you are a thin-skinned little thing. I didn't interpret the word "special" as meaning "better than" in this context. We were just discussing that some people have a trait that others don't. It's interesting to explore differences between people and how they are manifested through genetics, etc. I even had a phone conversation with my brother last night, one of the least curious and imaginative people I've ever met, just for fun. I asked him to describe his fingers, excluding thumb. He thought I was crazy but went along. Like mine, his middle finger is the longest, his ring finger the next longest, his index finger the third longest, pinky is the fourth. But his feet are different, with toes in descending order, while my second toe is longer than my "big" toe. And neither of us can twist our tongues into that "O" shape, like some people can.

Yes. I do feel that some in the U.S. population seem to think that we all popped out of the same cookie-cutter. These people are no fun, but they're cool as long as they don't interfere with the rest of us.

Chill out.

Forum List

Back