If MLK were alive today the rightwingers would call his a race hustler

I think more white people are open minded now, back than if me or you moved into a white neighborhood we would be harassed, attacked and have crosses burned in our yards on a daily basis, my parents marriage would not even be recognized.

There's been a small measure of "progress," kind of like what Malcolm X said, when a 12 inch knife is pulled out only 6 inches the knife isn't as deep but still there and even if it was yanked out its going to leave a scar. I know black people today who have bought homes in affluent neighborhood full of whites who have had police pull up to their house to ask them what are they doing in that neighborhood or the people in that neighborhood have called police on them to report "suspicious" people in their neighborhood, there's a lot of work that needs to be done.

Oh I agree 100%, we are not there yet and there is alot of work that needs to be done however I am sure things are definently better now than they were in the 1960s.

Oh, I agree, but enough wasn't done back then and as a result people are still struggling, both black and white. Obama's election exposed a lot of what really exists, that deep seated covert racism that people have been hiding and when Obama campaigned and became president people saw it first hand that a large part of America is still racist and thinks a "****** is just a ******" unless of course you pose no threat and do whats "expected of you. Look at home two black Republicans, Colin Powell and Michael Steele get treated by their own party, Powell doesn't act far right looney and look what Rush Limbaugh and Dick Cheney says about him. Michael Steele takes Limbaugh to task only to lay prostrate after his party pissed on him for rightfully speaking the truth about Rush Limbaugh.

"I have a dream that my four little children will one day live in a nation where they will not be judged by the color of their skin but by the content of their character."

It's a damn shame this part of Dr. King's dream is completely ignored by idiots who see everything through the lens of race.

More like idiots from the right who only know that one quote and forget the others by King and his actions. If rightwingers cared about King;s dream they wouldn't support busting unions and taking away employee benenfits because King got assassinated in Memephis while he was defending those very things.
If you cared about Dr. King's dream you wouldn't be a race hustling bastard.

daveman just described himself. :lol:

Here, I will show you. daveman, which party was responsible for the Civil Rights Act of 1964.

"I have a dream that my four little children will one day live in a nation where they will not be judged by the color of their skin but by the content of their character."

It's a damn shame this part of Dr. King's dream is completely ignored by idiots who see everything through the lens of race.

More like idiots from the right who only know that one quote and forget the others by King and his actions. If rightwingers cared about King;s dream they wouldn't support busting unions and taking away employee benenfits because King got assassinated in Memephis while he was defending those very things.

Translation: I had no real come back worthy of relevance now I will just attack and act like a spoiled, bratty teenager that says "Dad I hate you" when proven wrong.

There's been a small measure of "progress," kind of like what Malcolm X said, when a 12 inch knife is pulled out only 6 inches the knife isn't as deep but still there and even if it was yanked out its going to leave a scar. I know black people today who have bought homes in affluent neighborhood full of whites who have had police pull up to their house to ask them what are they doing in that neighborhood or the people in that neighborhood have called police on them to report "suspicious" people in their neighborhood, there's a lot of work that needs to be done.

Oh I agree 100%, we are not there yet and there is alot of work that needs to be done however I am sure things are definently better now than they were in the 1960s.

Oh, I agree, but enough wasn't done back then and as a result people are still struggling, both black and white. Obama's election exposed a lot of what really exists, that deep seated covert racism that people have been hiding and when Obama campaigned and became president people saw it first hand that a large part of America is still racist and thinks a "****** is just a ******" unless of course you pose no threat and do whats "expected of you. Look at home two black Republicans, Colin Powell and Michael Steele get treated by their own party, Powell doesn't act far right looney and look what Rush Limbaugh and Dick Cheney says about him. Michael Steele takes Limbaugh to task only to lay prostrate after his party pissed on him for rightfully speaking the truth about Rush Limbaugh.
One more time for stupid leftists:

Opposition to Obama's policies and actions is not racism.

Translation: I had no real come back worthy of relevance now I will just attack and act like a spoiled, bratty teenager that says "Dad I hate you" when proven wrong.
You'd have a point if you'd actually proven me wrong.

You judge people by the color of their skin. Try to justify it all you want, but Dr. King didn't want that.

Further, no one is keeping you down. Any problems in your life are your own fault.

One more time davetard, that is strawmen argument you made.

I agree however there is only so much you can do to change the way people feel, changing the Jim Crow laws and letting Blacks have equal rights on paper didn't change the way alot of the white folks felt back than, I definently see some changes but we do have a long way to go.

Its not so bad now but there is still ignorance out there.

There is ignorance against blacks, latinos, and whites along with other "groups" of people.

My girl is Cabo Verde and we get looks from both white and black people out in public, not polite looks either. Its not frequent, usually people don't seem to be like that but we have both had someone of our own race say something to us in public about "why are you with that person...they are (insert color)"

Its so ignorant sounding when people say that.

Its not so bad now but there is still ignorance out there.

There is ignorance against blacks, latinos, and whites along with other "groups" of people.

My girl is Cabo Verde and we get looks from both white and black people out in public, not polite looks either. Its not frequent, usually people don't seem to be like that but we have both had someone of our own race say something to us in public about "why are you with that person...they are (insert color)"

Its so ignorant sounding when people say that.

I agree I can't stand those attitudes, just think 50 years ago you and your girl would come under physical attacks for your union.

I agree however there is only so much you can do to change the way people feel, changing the Jim Crow laws and letting Blacks have equal rights on paper didn't change the way alot of the white folks felt back than, I definently see some changes but we do have a long way to go.

I agree with you that laws have changed but attitude changes are the true indicator of change, if there is no attitude change more and more laws are going to be createdcombat the same problem.

One more time davetard, that is strawmen argument you made.
No, it's not, you moron.

I agree with you that laws have changed but attitude changes are the true indicator of change, if there is no attitude change more and more laws are going to be createdcombat the same problem.

Changing a law on paper is easy however changing the way people feel is a much harder thing to change, that is a battle we are fighting to this very day.

Changing a law on paper is easy however changing the way people feel is a much harder thing to change, that is a battle we are fighting to this very day.

And its the racist attitudes that necessitates changes in laws, so while I agree that laws have come a long way racism itself hasn't really changed, people have a habit of thinking that changes in laws=progress in *RACE RELATIONS*, they're separate things.

And its the racist attitudes that necessitates changes in laws, so while I agree that laws have come a long way racism itself hasn't really changed, people have a habit of thinking that changes in laws=progress in *RACE RELATIONS*, they're separate things.

Good point.

The submissive, harmless MLK, just as I thought, some people love distorting him.

Where ever in any of my post did I suggest MLK was submissive or harmless? Not at all. The man is anything but submissive. While perhaps "harmless" in the notion of someone who wasn't advocating for riots and mass beatings or significant violence, he was far from "harmless" to the status quo at the time.

No sir, the one doing the distorting is yourself, looking at a post and deciding to read into it things that are entirely figments of your imagination based upon your own biases. No where in my post did I make any suggestion of what you stated, nor do I hold any such view that MLK are either of those two adjectives.

However, one can have a very dominant personality while being significantly different than the Sharptons and Jackson's of the world. I don't think suggesting that the 1960's MLK would not necessarily act exactly in the same fashion in 2011 is suggesting he's "submissive".

Forum List

Back