If McChrystal needs to be fired, then..

The ucmj delineates what unbecoming of an officer is, it can be described as nebulous, as it covers quite a bit, a portion below; of article 133 follows;

(3) Examples of offenses. Instances of violation of this article include knowingly making a false official statement; dishonorable failure to pay a debt; cheating on an exam; opening and reading a letter of another without authority; using insulting or defamatory language to another officer in that officer’s presence or about that officer to other military persons; being drunk and disorderly in a public place; public association with known prostitutes; committing or attempting to commit a crime involving moral turpitude; and failing without good cause to support the officer’s family.

emphasis mine......

or article 89-

Punitive Articles of the UCMJ
Article 89—Disrespect toward a superior commissioned officer

Elements.

(1) That the accused did or omitted certain acts or used certain language to or concerning a certain commissioned officer;

(2) That such behavior or language was directed toward that officer;

(3) That the officer toward whom the acts, omissions, or words were directed was the superior commissioned officer of the accused;

(4) That the accused then knew that the commissioned officer toward whom the acts, omissions, or words were directed was the accused’s superior commissioned officer; and

(5) That, under the circumstances, the behavior or language was disrespectful to that commissioned officer.

Obama is not 'commissioned' per se' but he is the c in c, its an example of how this type of thing is in fact frowned upon and a chargeable offense.
McCrystal knows better.

A) Obama is the civilian commander of the military, he holds no rank and is thus not an officer

B) Neither is the Rolling Stone reporter.

Nice try junior

By the letter of the law, McChrystal did not disobey a direct order. McChrystal just lacks courage and honor.

i'll take this as a "no, i can't find one."

nice cheap shot, though.

Cheap shot del? The WHAT do you call what McChrystal did? A man with courage and honor would confront his superior face to face, and air his comments or complaints. A coward wouldn't...
Supposedly he was drunk to boot. :lol:

I never said he was 'senior'......I clearly stated he is not a commissioned officer per se. he is however c in c, I also said the ucmj is a nebulous catch all. He disrespected his c in and chain of command.

He did make comments as to other officers, if you read the article you could not have missed it, but thats not really the issue right this minute but casts a pall on his fitness, thats the way it works in the green machine. Big no no.

Last edited:
Drudge is reporting that McChrystal will resign. If true,it's a real shame. We lost a true Whistle Blower Hero. We should have thanked the man. :(

If he does make him resign, he'll no doubt lay any failures of the Afghan war on his feet. The Hussein dragged his feet for 3 months, then short-changed the military with a compromised surge, but hey lets blame McChrystal so Hussein's poll numbers will go up!

obama needs to grow a set of balls and get over it. i saw nothing in the RS article that was derogatory towards obama, unless mocking some of his choices for high office (biden, eikenberry) is implicitly derogatory of obama.

i didn't vote for him, and i don't think he's doing a good job, but i never thought he was this much of a wuss.

go figure

It's called insubordination.

Sure thing moonbat, fire him. Can't wait to see the 60 Minutes interview where the General can speak freely about how inept this regime really is.......

I never said he was 'senior'......I clearly stated he is not a commissioned officer per se. he is however c in c, I also said the ucmj is a nebulous catch all. He disrespected his c in and chain of command.

He did make comments as to other officers, if you read the article you could not have missed it, but thats not really the issue right this minute but casts a pall on his fitness, thats the way it works in the green machine. Big no no.

The UCMJ is not nebulous. It's black and white. He should probably resign, but he did nothing illegal. Stating that he did or might have is stupid and shows a complete lack of understanding of the UCMJ.

ahhh, so you've got a link. would you mind sharing because i'm really puzzled about this whole affair.
First Read - McChrystal's PR man resigns, how Rolling Stone got more access

there's nothing there about him being drunk.

fail

:confused:

" Hastings says he stumbled onto unprecedented access with McChrystal. After McChrystal's press advisers accepted a request for the profile, Hastings joined McChrystal and his team in Paris. It was supposed to be a two-day visit, followed up with more time in Afghanistan.

The volcano in Iceland, however, changed those plans. As the ash disrupted air travel, Hastings ended up being "stuck" with McChrystal and his team for 10 days in Paris and Berlin. McChrystal had to get to Berlin by bus. Hastings says
McChrystal and his aides were drinking on the road trip "the whole way."

"They let loose," he said. "I don't blame them; they have a hard job." "

Oh, fine...he was just drinking a lot as he talked to the Rolling Stone. :thup:

Bleh, as if anyone is going to believe you

Care to defend your statement that I am a quitter for retirement after 22 years , 2 wars, and a third deployment?

Care to defend your statement that A commanding officer's first responsibility isn't to his men?

care to defend your statement that soldiers don't fight for each other first and foremost?

The UCMJ is not nebulous. It's black and white. He should probably resign, but he did nothing illegal. Stating that he did or might have is stupid and shows a complete lack of understanding of the UCMJ.

Uh huh, nothing is black and white, please.....what I said simply demonstrates an understanding of how the military works, polices itself ,the politics inside it, and whats more, how guarded the status of civilian command is, secdef, army navy etc. is protected. As I said no they are not commissioned officers BUT they are afforded and due respect equal to if not greater than those with which they serve as soldiers, marines etc.

I am willing to wager if he is asked to resign it will not come from obama but the Chief of staff.

Last edited:

Uh huh, nothing is black and white, please.....what I said simply demonstrates an understanding of how the military works, polices itself ,the politics inside it, and whats more, how guarded the status of civilian command is, secdef, army navy etc. is protected. As I said no they are not commissioned officers BUT they are afforded and due respect equal to if not greater than those with which they serve.
I am willing to wager if he is asked to resign it will not come from obama but the Chief of staff.

Oh, ever served? Military life IS black and white.

Uh huh, nothing is black and white, please.....what I said simply demonstrates an understanding of how the military works, polices itself ,the politics inside it, and whats more, how guarded the status of civilian command is, secdef, army navy etc. is protected. As I said no they are not commissioned officers BUT they are afforded and due respect equal to if not greater than those with which they serve.

sure and the day to day is black and white, in the field things blur a bit, they always do.

if you have served for what ever years 22..? then you must have at least reached e-7, 8? You think if you and your platoon sgt had sounded off the way he and his guys did about your CO or Batt CO and he'd just slough it off? What you said may even have the virtue of being true, but that won't cut any soap......he let it get out, and hes screwed.

sure and the day to day is black and white, in the field things blur a bit, they always do.

if you have served for what ever years 22..? then you must have at least reached e-7, 8? You think if you and your platoon sgt had sounded off the way he and his guys did about your CO or Batt CO and he'd just slough it off? What you said may even have the virtue of being true, but that won't cut any soap......he let it get out, and hes screwed.

You didn't answer. Have you served?

Actually I'm retiring as an O3 , that's a Captain. Let me tell you something, a smart commander doesn't shit his pants over every little thing. BUT the UCMJ is absolutely black and white. No shades of gray as in civilian life. There can't be. ANY action could be life threatening so there is no gray.

Actually I'm retiring as an O3 , that's a Captain. Let me tell you something, a smart commander doesn't shit his pants over every little thing. BUT the UCMJ is absolutely black and white. No shades of gray as in civilian life. There can't be. ANY action could be life threatening so there is no gray.

yes, I did....I said;

did you start out as an officer? 3 pay grades in 22 years?

no shades of gray? well whatever....we won't see eye to eye on this.

yes, I did....I said;

did you start out as an officer? 3 pay grades in 22 years?

no shades of gray? well whatever....we won't see eye to eye on this.

No I didn't. I joined at 17 and in my mid 20s went to college than OCS . I'm a little old for a captain, but not much.

Forum List

Back