If Jefferson founded the Republican Party what place do Democrats have in America?

I am a devoted Conservative and find myself fearful that neither of the major parties represents me. Both are Liberal in philosophy, actions, programs and goals.

you are being silly, Ron Paul is Republican, but an impotent and pure one. The others have the same philosophy but know independents decide elections and so cross over a lot. You're job is to keep pushing the Ron Paul wing of the Party, not to get discouraged.

I don't give a rip about social issues. No true conservative would. Any action of government should be to simply allow people to thrive free of fear from hurtful actions of others.

Everything else that government does is an affront to jefferson and to any of the Founders and needs to be stripped away from the activity of government and from the cost, also.

The money spent in 2011 outpaced the money collected by about $4500 per person. I did not see my share of that $4500. I want my fair share which is to say, I wish the thieving, unscrupulous crooks in Washington would take the next decade off and just leave us all alone.

The best government is the least government. To control government, it must be closely watched and this is only possible when it is close at hand. Why are we trusting local issues to Federal Crooks?[/QUOTE]

You can't play the political ideology game using 200 year old characters. Today's democrat party has drifted so far left in the last half century that it is off the charts. You might as well use Joe Stalin.

Oh....are we playing that game?

Would that make Republicans Hitler?

There have been two Republican parties in America, the first the liberals, the Jeffersonians, the Antifederalists, formed around 1789. It was this group that fought the ratification of the Constitution unless a Bill of Rights were added. The second Republican party formed in the 1850's and is today's Republican party. The Democrats of today trace their heritage back to Jefferson. The Democratic party was comprised of both liberals and conservatives, the conservatives of the South. Truman began easing the conservatives out of the Democratic party and today the former conservative Democrats have found their home with the present day Republican party.
And some of the right wing Democrats became DIXIECRATS, before fining refuge in the Republican party.
*FINDING. FDR kept this country together when Communism and Fascism were genuine threats.

Just as Lenin employed Capitalism to save his failing Communist state, FDR used Communism?

Not exactly.

FDR was a power hungry statist and he used the crisis to advance his personal agenda. If he had used his power to invigorate the Capitalistic possibilities of the country, the world might have avoided WW2. As it was, the world was starving and despots ruled the countries whether they were Fascists, Nazis or Democrats.

This is historically inaccurate. Jefferson's Democratic-Republican Party eventually became the Democratic Party under Andrew Jackson and Martin van Buren, whereas the Whig Party eventually collapsed and many of their members created the Republican Party. So technically the Democratic Party is older than the Republican Party.

How can it be older if Jefferson started the Republican party in 1792.

5th Congress (1797-1799)
Majority Party: Federalist (22 seats)

Minority Party: Republican (10 seats)

Other Parties: 0

Total Seats: 32

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

6th Congress (1799-1801)

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

7th Congress (1801-1803)

Majority Party: Republican (17 seats)

Minority Party: Federalist (15 seats)

Vacant: 2

Total Seats: 34

"Historians do not agree on the details surrounding the origin of Parties. Some believe that Jefferson forged the Republican party from coalition of existing state and local parties"....[in the 1790's].

Page 31, Political Parties in America by Robert Huckshorn( most popular Political Science text on parties in USA.

"Although people were still deeply ambivalent about political parties, although one party did not necessarily recognize the legitimacy of the other, and although men on both sides were nostalgic- at one time or another- for the imaginary golden age of political harmony, few people could be found in the early 1790's who believed the parties did not exist. The parties had names: Federalist and Republican."

- Susan Dunn, Jefferson's Second Revolution.

"In referring to political parties I have adopted the names which the respective parties used in self-designation. Thus the Jeffersonian party has been referred to throughout as the Republican Party. This name came into use early in the 1790's among persons who considered themselves of a common political "interest", and the term "Republican interest" was generally used until it was replaced by the more definite "Republican Party".

The Jeffersonian Republicans( the formation of Party organization (1789-1801) by Noble E. Cunningham,Jr.

-During a conciliatory moment at his Inauguration Jefferson said: "today we are all Republicans, we are all Federalists." (referring to the two majors parties at the time)
We have called by different names brethren of the same principle. We are all Republicans, we are all Federalists. If there be any among us who would wish to dissolve this Union, or to change its republican form, let them stand undisturbed as monuments of safety with which error of opinion may be tolerated where reason is left free to combat it.
- When Jefferson won the election of 1800 the National Gazette headline was, "Complete triumph of Republican firmness over the "obstinacy" of the Aristocrats"! ( what Republicans called big government Federalists)

This is historically inaccurate. Jefferson's Democratic-Republican Party eventually became the Democratic Party under Andrew Jackson and Martin van Buren, whereas the Whig Party eventually collapsed and many of their members created the Republican Party. So technically the Democratic Party is older than the Republican Party.

5th Congress (1797-1799)

6th Congress (1799-1801)

7th Congress (1801-1803)

"Historians do not agree on the details surrounding the origin of Parties. Some believe that Jefferson forged the Republican party from coalition of existing state and local parties"....[in the 1790's].

Page 31, Political Parties in America by Robert Huckshorn( most popular Political Science text on parties in USA.

"Although people were still deeply ambivalent about political parties, although one party did not necessarily recognize the legitimacy of the other, and although men on both sides were nostalgic- at one time or another- for the imaginary golden age of political harmony, few people could be found in the early 1790's who believed the parties did not exist. The parties had names: Federalist and Republican."

"In referring to political parties I have adopted the names which the respective parties used in self-designation. Thus the Jeffersonian party has been referred to throughout as the Republican Party. This name came into use early in the 1790's among persons who considered themselves of a common political "interest", and the term "Republican interest" was generally used until it was replaced by the more definite "Republican Party".

The Jeffersonian Republicans( the formation of Party organization (1789-1801) by Noble E. Cunningham,Jr.

-During a conciliatory moment at his Inauguration Jefferson said: "today we are all Republicans, we are all Federalists." (referring to the two majors parties at the time)
We have called by different names brethren of the same principle. We are all Republicans, we are all Federalists. If there be any among us who would wish to dissolve this Union, or to change its republican form, let them stand undisturbed as monuments of safety with which error of opinion may be tolerated where reason is left free to combat it.
- When Jefferson won the election of 1800 the National Gazette headline was, "Complete triumph of Republican firmness over the "obstinacy" of the Aristocrats"! ( what Republicans called big government Federalists)

If you read my full post, and not just the last sentence, your question is answered.

Really, it would seem they have little place in America given that their ideas about big government are the opposite of the basic Constitutional idea of limited central government formalized by our founders.

FDR was really the first liberal Democrat and his New Deal was mostly leftist inspired, not America inspired, as his choice of Henry Wallace, Alger Hiss and the others would indicate. Now they have Obama who had two communist parents and voted to the left of Bernie Sanders. How can we conclude that Democrats are anything but a genuine Trojan Horse on American soil? I have yet to hear an answer to this.
Read the Federalist Papers! Madison, Jay, and Hamilton argued FOR a strong central government. As did Jefferson but with more input from the states.

Context is everything in this. Strong in the year 1787 is something entirely different than today. At that time, the Supremacy Clause was a debatable idea.

The power and autonomy of the states was an unchallenged premise of the union while the overreach of today's federalism would have been an absolute deal breaker for the ratification of the Constitution.

You can't play the political ideology game using 200 year old characters. Today's democrat party has drifted so far left in the last half century that it is off the charts. You might as well use Joe Stalin.

Oh....are we playing that game?

Would that make Republicans Hitler?

how would that be possible given that Republicans since Jefferson were for very very limited government while Hitler was the exact opposite??

The central government was a threat to liberals and Jefferson feared governments based on their history of governments of that period,

of course that is 100% absurd, Jefferson looked at all of history and gave us freedom from all central governments regardless of period

but when Jefferson and his party became the government, government seemed less of a threat. The size of government was never part of the core values of liberals,

here are 50 Jefferson quote to prove you are 100% wrong:

"That government is best which governs the least, because its people discipline themselves."

"The path we have to pursue[when Jefferson was President ] is so quiet that we have nothing scarcely to propose to our Legislature."

-The democracy will cease to exist when you take away from those who are willing to work and give to those who would not.

-The natural progress of things is for liberty to yield and government to gain ground.

" the natural progress of things is for liberty to yield and government to grain ground; that the greater the government the stronger the exploiter and the weaker the producer; that , therefore, the hope of liberty depends upon local self-governance and the vigilance of the producer class."

-A wise and frugal government, which shall leave men free to regulate their own pursuits of industry and improvement, and shall not take from the mouth of labor (read-taxes) and bread it has earned -- this is the sum of good government.

-Experience hath shewn, that even under the best forms of government those entrusted with power have, in time, and by slow operations, perverted it into tyranny.

-History, in general, only informs us of what bad government is.

-I own that I am not a friend to a very energetic government. It is always oppressive.

-I predict future happiness for Americans if they can prevent the government from wasting the labors of the people under the pretense of taking care of them.

-My reading of history convinces me that bad government results from too much government.

-Our country is now taking so steady a course as to show by what road it will pass to destruction, to wit: by consolidation of power first, and then corruption, its necessary consequence.

-Sometimes it is said that man cannot be trusted with the government of himself. Can he, then be trusted with the government of others? Or have we found angels in the form of kings to govern him? Let history answer this question.

-The spirit of resistance to government is so valuable on certain occasions that I wish it to be always kept alive.

-Most bad government has grown out of too much government.

-Were we directed from Washington when to sow and when to reap, we should soon want bread.

-Experience hath shewn, that even under the best forms [of government] those entrusted with power have, in time, and by slow operations, perverted it into tyranny.

-I think myself that we have more machinery of government than is necessary, too many parasites living on the labor of the industrious
"Agriculture, manufactures, commerce and navigation, the four
pillars of our prosperity, are the most thriving when left most
free to individual enterprise. Protection from casual
embarrassments, however, may sometimes be seasonably interposed."
--Thomas Jefferson: 1st Annual Message, 1801.

"The policy of the American government is to leave their citizens
free, neither restraining nor aiding them in their pursuits."
--Thomas Jefferson to M. L'Hommande, 1787.

"[Ours is a] policy of not embarking the public in enterprises
better managed by individuals, and which might occupy as much
of our time as those political duties for which the public functionaries are particularly instituted. Some money could be
lent them [the New Orleans Canal Co.], but only on an assurance that it would be employed so as to secure the public objects."
--Thomas Jefferson to W. C. C. Claiborne, 1808.

"The rights of the people to the exercise and fruits of their own industry can never be protected against the selfishness of rulers
not subject to their control at short periods." --Thomas Jefferson
to Isaac H. Tiffany, 1816.

"Our wish is that...[there be] maintained that state of property,
equal or unequal, which results to every man from his own industry
or that of his fathers." --Thomas Jefferson: 2nd Inaugural
Address, 1805.

"To take from one because it is thought that his own industry and that of his father's has acquired too much, in order to spare to
others, who, or whose fathers have not exercised equal industry and skill, is to violate arbitrarily the first principle of
association--the guarantee to every one of a free exercise of his industry and the fruits acquired by it." --Thomas Jefferson: Note
in Tracy's "Political Economy," 1816.

"Private enterprise manages so much better all the concerns to which it is equal." --Thomas Jefferson: 6th Annual Message, 1806.

"The merchants will manage [commerce] the better, the more they are left free to manage for themselves." --Thomas Jefferson to Gideon Granger, 1800.

"If ever this vast country is brought under a single government, it will be one of the most extensive corruption, indifferent and incapable of a wholesome care over so wide a spread of surface." --Thomas Jefferson to William T. Barry, 1822. ME 15:389

Some] seem to think that [civilization's] advance has brought on too complicated a state of society, and that we should gain in happiness by treading back our steps a little way. I think, myself, that we have more machinery of government than is necessary, too many parasites living on the labor of the industrious. I believe it might be much simplified to the relief of those who maintain it." --Thomas Jefferson to William Ludlow, 1824. ME 16:75

The parties of Whig and Tory are those of nature. They exist in all countries, whether called by these names or by those of Aristocrats and Democrats, Cote Droite and Cote Gauche, Ultras and Radicals, Serviles and Liberals. The sickly, weakly, timid man fears the people, and is a Tory by nature. The healthy, strong and bold cherishes them, and is formed a Whig by nature." --Thomas Jefferson to Lafayette, 1823. ME 15:492

"Agriculture, manufactures, commerce and navigation, the four pillars of our prosperity, are the most thriving when left most free to individual enterprise. Protection from casual embarrassments, however, may sometimes be seasonably interposed." --Thomas Jefferson: 1st Annual Message, 1801. ME 3:337

"The power given to Congress by the Constitution does not extend to the internal regulation of the commerce of a State (that is to say, of the commerce between citizen and citizen) which remain exclusively with its own legislature, but to its external commerce only; that is to say, its commerce with another State, or with foreign nations, or with the Indian tribes." --Thomas Jefferson: Opinion on Bank, 1791. ME 3:147

"Our tenet ever was that Congress had not unlimited powers to provide for the general welfare, but were restrained to those specifically enumerated, and that, as it was never meant that they should provide for that welfare but by the exercise of the enumerated powers, so it could not have been meant they should raise money for purposes which the enumeration did not place under their action; consequently, that the specification of powers is a limitation of the purposes for which they may raise money. ." - Thomas Jefferson

"When the people find they can vote themselves money, that will herald the end of the republic."
-- Benjamin Franklin

"We still find the greedy hand of government thrusting itself into every corner and crevice of industry, and grasping at the spoil of the multitude. Invention is continually exercised to furnish new pretenses for revenue and taxation. It watches prosperity as its prey and permits none to escape without a tribute."

-- Thomas Paine

When the people find they can vote themselves money, that will herald the end of the republic."
-- Benjamin Franklin

"We still find the greedy hand of government thrusting itself into every corner and crevice of industry, and grasping at the spoil of the multitude. Invention is continually exercised to furnish new pretenses for revenue and taxation. It watches prosperity as its prey and permits none to escape without a tribute."
-Thomas paine

"If the government robs Peter to pay Paul, it can always count on the support of Paul." [in America to bottom 45% pay no Federal taxes]
-Winston Churchhill

"The government of the United States [federal government] is a definite government confined to specified objects [powers]. It is not like state governments, whose powers are more general. CHARITY IS NO PART OF THE LEGISLATIVE DUTY OF THE GOVERNMENT."
-James madison
Jefferson: "Congress has not unlimited powers to provide for the general welfare, but only those specifically enumerated."

Patrick Henry
Tell me when did liberty ever exist when the sword and the purse were given up?

Thomas Jefferson
"The strongest reason for the people to retain the right to keep and bear arms is, as a last resort, to protect themselves against tyranny in government."

I see,... and with the deepest affliction, the rapid strides with which the federal branch of our government is advancing towards the usurpation of all the rights reserved to the States, and the consolidation in itself of all powers, foreign and domestic; and that, too, by constructions which, if legitimate, leave no limits to their power... It is but too evident that the three ruling branches of [the Federal government] are in combination to strip their colleagues, the State authorities, of the powers reserved by them, and to exercise themselves all functions foreign and domestic."
-- Thomas Jefferson to William Branch Giles, 1825. The Writings of Thomas Jefferson

James Madison: "If Congress can do whatever in their discretion can be done by money, and will promote the general welfare, the government is no longer a limited one, but an indefinite one subject to particular exceptions."

James Madison: "The government of the United States is a definite government, confined to specific objectives. It is not like state governments, whose powers are more general. Charity is no part of the legislative duty of the government."

James Madison in Federalist paper NO. 45: "The powers delegated by the proposed Constitution to the federal government are few and defined. Those which are to remain in the State governments are numerous and indefinite. The former will be exercised principally on external objects, as war, peace, negotiation, and foreign commerce."

I am for doing good to the poor, but I differ in opinion of the means. I think the best way of doing good to the poor, is not making them easy in poverty, but leading or driving them out of it." - Benjamin Franklin

"When the people find that they can vote themselves money, that will herald the end of the republic."
-Benjamin Franklin

"The Constitution only gives people the right to pursue happiness. You have to catch it yourself." - Benjamin Franklin

One single object... [will merit] the endless gratitude of the society: that of restraining the judges from usurping legislation.
Thomas Jefferson, letter to Edward Livingston, March 25, 1825
Our peculiar security is in the possession of a written Constitution. Let us not make it a blank paper by construction.

Thomas Jefferson, letter to Wilson Nicholas, September 7, 1803

That these are our grievances which we have thus laid before his majesty, with that freedom of language and sentiment which becomes a free people claiming their rights as derived from the laws of nature, andnot as the gift of their chief magistrate.

Thomas Jefferson, Rights of British America,

The Constitution... is a mere thing of wax in the hands of the judiciary which they may twist and shape into any form they please.

Thomas Jefferson, letter to Judge Spencer Roane, September 6, 1819

The principle of spending money to be paid by posterity, under the name of funding, is but swindling futurity on a large scale.

Thomas Jefferson, letter to John Taylor, May 28, 1816

They are not to do anything they please to provide for the general welfare, but only to lay taxes for that purpose. To consider the latter phrase not as describing the purpose of the first, but as giving a distinct and independent power to do any act they please which may be good for the Union, would render all the preceding and subsequent enumerations of power completely useless. It would reduce the whole instrument to a single phrase, that of instituting a Congress with power to do whatever would be for the good of the United States; and as they sole judges of the good or evil, it would be also a power to do whatever evil they please...Certainly no such universal power was meant to be given them. It was intended to lace them up straightly within the enumerated powers and those without which, as means, these powers could not be carried into effect.

Thomas Jefferson, Opinion on National Bank, 1791

Okay libs. Cite the Jefferson quotes that illustrate the Communist stance taken by the Democrat Party of today.

In fact, they spied for Stalin and some were hung!!

5th Congress (1797-1799)

6th Congress (1799-1801)

7th Congress (1801-1803)

You have posted the same Jefferson was a Republican thread four or five times. Each time you have been provided the correct historical interpretation of the Democratic Republican Party and what it became. Each time you ignored it and came back posting the same nonsense again

Fool me once, shame on you.....

Last edited:
Saddam Hussein is as close to being Republican as Jefferson was

After all......they both had Republican in their name....right?

but they stood for opposite political ideas and so were not "close". Is that really over your head?

Really, it would seem they have little place in America given that their ideas about big government are the opposite of the basic Constitutional idea of limited central government formalized by our founders.

FDR was really the first liberal Democrat and his New Deal was mostly leftist inspired, not America inspired, as his choice of Henry Wallace, Alger Hiss and the others would indicate. Now they have Obama who had two communist parents and voted to the left of Bernie Sanders. How can we conclude that Democrats are anything but a genuine Trojan Horse on American soil? I have yet to hear an answer to this.

What place to dems have in America?

good lard. You sir are little more than a would be tyrant.

and

wilson was the first far leftist in Office.
Not T.R.?

Jayzus!

First, let's get our history straight. The Republican Party (the GOP) was founded in the 1850s. The first national candidate was John C. Fremont of the new state of California, founded only five years before. Not Thomas Jefferson. The first candidate elected as a Republican was Abraham Lincoln (who fought a war to unite and strengthen a NATIONAL government over Conservatives who were fighting for state's rights).

As a result of the Civil War, all southern states (the former Confederacy) merged politically into what became known as the "Solid South". A region where a Republican could win only if the Democrat candidate was dead. And sometimes not even then.

Conservatives believe in state's rights in all things other than national defense. It stands to reason, and it was expressed as so, that "state's rights" was the defense of segregation and the oppressive "Jim Crow" laws. Remember, Conservatives.

Don't swap political party for political ideology just to right a wrong committed in history.

Last edited:
Each time you ignored it and came back posting the same nonsense again

Fool me once, shame on you.....

if true you would not be so afraid to show your best example of nonsense. what does your fear tell you?

You still haven't explained how the Republican Guard is not Republican

It is as historically accurate as your connections

Jayzus!

First, let's get our history straight. The Republican Party (the GOP) was founded in the 1850s. .

Then the Congressional Record got it wrong??

5th Congress (1797-1799)

6th Congress (1799-1801)

7th Congress (1801-1803)

You still haven't explained how the Republican Guard is not Republican

The Republican Guard was for very very very strong central government, while Jeffersonian Republicans were for the exact opposite.

Smoking Gun

rumsfeld_&_hussein1.jpg

What place to dems have in America?

good lard. You sir are little more than a would be tyrant.

and

Is this merely left wing ranting or can you support what you say? How can Republicans be tyrants when they are for limited government?

The republican party is for limited government? Is that why they vote to use that government's authority to prevent gays from getting married? Limited government, but one that enforces morality when it suits them? Is that why we have a patriot act? Because Republicans are all about limited government?

Not saying all republicans agree with these things, but making the blanket statement that Republicans are for limited government is silly.

Last edited:
Seems to me that implying that either party has a monopoly on founding principles involves ignoring a lot of what that party actually does.

Since independents decide elections both parties cross over so don't appear consistent to the novice. Republicans though have introduced 30 Balanced Budget Amendments since Jefferson. Newts passed the house and fell one short in the Senate. Democrats defeated them all. Today our debt would be $0 not $16 trillion.

Libertarians are pure, but purely impotent. Hope that helps you along?

Once again, things like The Patriot Act and using the power of government to deny homosexuals the right to marriage are not policies used to sway independents. They're simply promotions of government and centralized power that Republicans use when it suits them.

Also, regardless of the reasoning behind those compromises of individual freedom and decentralized governing that the GOP often uses to sway independents, these compromised positions nevertheless ARE inconsistent with the philosophy, regardless of the perception of novices like myself.

Lastly, I'm well aware of how libertarians do in the polls. This may effect the reasoning BEHIND many of the republicans' compromises of Jeffersonian philosophy, but it doesn't change whether or not those compromises are, in fact, compromises.

Last edited:

Forum List

Back