If it was the first time............

swizzlee

RedWhiteAndBlue
Jan 8, 2011
on a mountain
I'd probably dismiss it as an anomaly.

But I remember those Obama campaign events back in '08. Raucous, noisy, exuberant. A real circus atmosphere - not uncommon in the world of political electioneering.

This is now the third or fourth event of this year's season where I've watched several minutes of Obama giving his speech at a political event. Tonight he appeared at a union gathering. One would perhaps expect to see/hear a reasonably enthusiastic crowd.

While not particularly hanging on every word, I do know he was speaking about the economy and jobs. He ended a sentence and paused, waiting for the applause. And it was embarrassing. Some in the crowd seemed to realize they had a pregnant pause on their hands and I could hear a weak spattering of applause. Obama said a few words, chuckled a bit and continued with his speech.

I've seen too many of these lately to dismiss them as an outlier.

Where has all the enthusiasm gone? How many people even showed up? Is this the reason there is so much concern in the DNC about the lack of contributions? How many Dems will just stay home this time?

He's flailing.

But I remember those Obama campaign events back in '08. Raucous, noisy, exuberant. A real circus atmosphere - not uncommon in the world of political electioneering.

This is now the third or fourth event of this year's season where I've watched several minutes of Obama giving his speech at a political event. Tonight he appeared at a union gathering. One would perhaps expect to see/hear a reasonably enthusiastic crowd.

While not particularly hanging on every word, I do know he was speaking about the economy and jobs. He ended a sentence and paused, waiting for the applause. And it was embarrassing. Some in the crowd seemed to realize they had a pregnant pause on their hands and I could hear a weak spattering of applause. Obama said a few words, chuckled a bit and continued with his speech.

Where has all the enthusiasm gone? How many people even showed up? Is this the reason there is so much concern in the DNC about the lack of contributions? How many Dems will just stay home this time?

He's flailing.

Whites don't feel as guilty as they used to ?

There just isn't the excitement over President Obama, as there was when he was nominee Obama. At least not yet. But do not underestimate his followers passion, they will follow him blindly into economic collapse and bring us all down with them.

“Democracy is two wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for dinner,” - Benjamin Franklin

Sorry. The audience wasn't shown so I can't answer that question.

But more likely they're simply disappointed and perhaps were hoping he would provide some answers. Sounds to me like they didn't get any.

I never underestimate blind passion but love doesn't always last forever.

It's the number who fall out of passion that attracts my interest.

Don't underestimate the number of whites that wet their pants over the chance to vote for a black president. The second time just ain't like the first.

I think we have a very slim chance of winning this election. Not many passionate fans of Mitt Romney it seems. Any other of the candidates would have given us a better shot. How does the GOP continue to give us these shit candidates? I guess we also have to blame the majority of the voting conservatives as well for allowing the media to decide who they vote for.

I could be reading all the signs wrong but I think the passion on the Pub side is geared to the ABO factor and not to any particular candidate. Now that he's "the one", his ratings have gone up. We also can't ignore overall enthusiasm by the voters. There's no indication that there is any lack of enthusiasm on the Pub side while this post of mine hi-lites what I believe I'm seeing as a lack of on the Dem side. How many of those Dems will just stay home? That number is relevant.

And I'm not sure the media can be blamed entirely. They are not the ones deciding who will toss a hat in the ring. Were there really any great candidates in the bunch? For that matter, how great were the Dem candidates four years ago? Or the Dems who ran against Bush in '00? I'm an Indie so have never voted in a primary but even if I could, our primary is in June. Yeah, right. I'm a real decision maker, hey?? :) Unfortunately, I've had to hold my nose for a lot of years and I've got two, sometimes three, parties to choose from.

Personally, after the last three+ years, I am not at all interested in another freakin' cheerleader. Dull, boring, CAPABLE Willard will do just fine.

He's flailing.

Whites don't feel as guilty as they used to ?

Why should 'whites' feel guilty? What are they supposed to feel guilty about?

I could be reading all the signs wrong but I think the passion on the Pub side is geared to the ABO factor and not to any particular candidate. Now that he's "the one", his ratings have gone up. We also can't ignore overall enthusiasm by the voters. There's no indication that there is any lack of enthusiasm on the Pub side while this post of mine hi-lites what I believe I'm seeing as a lack of on the Dem side. How many of those Dems will just stay home? That number is relevant.

And I'm not sure the media can be blamed entirely. They are not the ones deciding who will toss a hat in the ring. Were there really any great candidates in the bunch? For that matter, how great were the Dem candidates four years ago? Or the Dems who ran against Bush in '00? I'm an Indie so have never voted in a primary but even if I could, our primary is in June. Yeah, right. I'm a real decision maker, hey?? :) Unfortunately, I've had to hold my nose for a lot of years and I've got two, sometimes three, parties to choose from.

Personally, after the last three+ years, I am not at all interested in another freakin' cheerleader. Dull, boring, CAPABLE Willard will do just fine.

Interesting is the idea that, as long as the obama camp keeps proclaiming their imminent victory, many of their lazy supporters will tend to stay home.

If Obama wins the republicans did it to themselves by nominating Mitt. Remember that poll about a year ago that said anybody was more popular than Obama. No way Obama wins, unless Mitt just sucks that bad.

If Obama wins the republicans did it to themselves by nominating Mitt. Remember that poll about a year ago that said anybody was more popular than Obama. No way Obama wins, unless Mitt just sucks that bad.

Completely agree. If we lose it will be our own fault. I think Newt would have given us our best shot. Yeah he has a seriously troubled past, but right now I'm concerned about the economy, and Newt was the most brilliant candidate. But none of that matters, maybe Mittens can pull it off. The only reason I'm voting for Mitt, other than the lesser of two evils issue, is that Obama could do some serious damage with more Supreme Court nominations.

Completely agree. If we lose it will be our own fault. I think Newt would have given us our best shot. Yeah he has a seriously troubled past, but right now I'm concerned about the economy, and Newt was the most brilliant candidate. But none of that matters, maybe Mittens can pull it off. The only reason I'm voting for Mitt, other than the lesser of two evils issue, is that Obama could do some serious damage with more Supreme Court nominations.

The supreme court issue is the only thing that might make me vote for mitt. I'm in California though, so it will go to Obama probably. Therefore I will probably cast a dissenting vote by going third party.

Forum List

Back