If I were a Repblican congrescritter

Quantum Windbag

Gold Member
May 9, 2010
Personally, I am going to send this to every Republican in Congress. Join me and make life hard on Obama and Democrats.

I’d schedule a new vote in the House on the individual mandate, but replace the “penalty language” with language specifically acknowledging that the “penalty” is actually a tax. If the Democrats vote “aye,” they’ve acknowledged breaking the Obama pledge not to raise taxes on the middle class. If the Democrats–specifically those who already voted for the mandate–vote “nay”, what becomes of the tax argument in future litigation?

The Volokh Conspiracy » If I were a Republican Congressman

Personally, I am going to send this to every Republican in Congress. Join me and make life hard on Obama and Democrats.

I’d schedule a new vote in the House on the individual mandate, but replace the “penalty language” with language specifically acknowledging that the “penalty” is actually a tax. If the Democrats vote “aye,” they’ve acknowledged breaking the Obama pledge not to raise taxes on the middle class. If the Democrats–specifically those who already voted for the mandate–vote “nay”, what becomes of the tax argument in future litigation?

Bon Bon beat you to it, he is already plotting to overturn the legislation the lawsuits declined to overturn.

Bon Bon beat you to it, he is already plotting to overturn the legislation the lawsuits declined to overturn.

You object to holding elected officials accountable to their vote?

My question is, and has been why would Romney overturn the mandate? Romney has claimed that the resolutions that are already in effect for Obama care that keep insurance companies from dropping people for getting sick, that requires insurance to be made available for the sick, and that limits costs of insurance are all things he wants to implement even though Obamacare does all of those things. How does Romney plan to pay for all of those costs to the corporate insurance giants without crashing them? His plan in MA was the mandate, AKA tax, he put in place as the only way to up insurance company income to overcome the losses they would get5 in doing these things.

Now, being a Romney fanboy could you tell us anyway aside from taxpayer bailouts that Romney plans on implementing to overcome insurance company costs. We all know romney is the corporate hero of the rich, and that he takes lots of money from the insurance companies to finance his campaigns, and that he is a personal friend of the CEOs that would be directly hurt if he revoked the mandate.

Don't get me wrong, as a person who feels that single payer with an option to pay for improved service if you are rich is the way to go, and eliminating the mandate would crash our present system and force the government to step in to provide healthcare because it is just not profitable for the free market to actually help the sick. It is only profitable to charge the healthy until they get sick. If Romney were to actually turn on his people he would destroy health insurance entirely. It is actually great news if Romney tries to do this. I would just like to know why you think Romney would go against every action he has ever made to follow his word that he always breaks.

If the Democrats–specifically those who already voted for the mandate–vote “nay”, what becomes of the tax argument in future litigation?

The Republicans should maneuver them into voting for legislation specifically calling it a penalty and not a tax. That'll never hold up in court! :)

If the Democrats–specifically those who already voted for the mandate–vote “nay”, what becomes of the tax argument in future litigation?
The Republicans should maneuver them into voting for legislation specifically calling it a penalty and not a tax. That'll never hold up in court! :)

The legal expert who insisted that Obamacare is constitutional under the commerce clause speaks.

Forum List

Back