If i start a small business

Hookay..enough with the hypotheticals.

Here's a real world example.

HP was a dominant force in the UNIX server industry when it hire failed CEO Carly Fiorina to take over. She didn't build anything up. She didn't start the company. She failed at her previous position at Lucent as well. Why did she get hired? No idea. Okay..she's got to be boss. Her great idea? Maximize profit by laying off over 30K employees and shipping the jobs overseas. On top of that..she merged with Compaq..in a bid to get into the mainframe business. She was looking to capitalize on Tandems.

The result?

Over 30K people out of work.

HP Stocks drop through the basement.

Tandem is a bust..because people move from mainframes to Linux servers.

And Carly makes a bundle.

THAT'S the Conservative way. Destroy and profit.

Everytime.

I believe I'd like to see some evidence that Carly is a conservative, or even a Republican, before you get to tar us all with this brush. MOST people on the right, CEOs and otherwise, don't consider driving a company into the ground and walking away to be a model for success, but it's odd how many people on the left seem to think that, however much they then whine about how "awful" it is to do.

Carly ran as a Republican in the last election...and lost.

Google works for you too.

Now prove she's a conservative, and THEN we can move on to you proving that this represents the "conservative way" in general.

It's kinda funny, because in another thread, we were just talking about whether or not one can say that the left hates and denigrates the Koch Brothers just because SOME people on the left do it, and here you are, applying the behavior of ONE person to the entire right.

Double standard, thy name is ignorant liberal.

Just to remind everybody, "Republican" is NOT necessarily synonymous with "Conservative". In numerous cases they can be quite opposite.

I believe I'd like to see some evidence that Carly is a conservative, or even a Republican, before you get to tar us all with this brush. MOST people on the right, CEOs and otherwise, don't consider driving a company into the ground and walking away to be a model for success, but it's odd how many people on the left seem to think that, however much they then whine about how "awful" it is to do.

Now prove she's a conservative, and THEN we can move on to you proving that this represents the "conservative way" in general.

It's kinda funny, because in another thread, we were just talking about whether or not one can say that the left hates and denigrates the Koch Brothers just because SOME people on the left do it, and here you are, applying the behavior of ONE person to the entire right.

You were proven wrong..

But piss and vinegar to the end.

Now that's my KIND OF WOMAN! :clap2:

How successful would I have to make it until I'm one of those evil businesses?
The criteria is the same for businesses as individuals. If you cheat, lie, and steal to reach your goals, you qualify.

Then why does the left continually demonize businesses that don't do that, But merely for their size?
We expect more from individuals or businesses that reach the top. When a small business tries to drive away competition, we say that's just business. But if a business like Exxon Mobil or Walmart destroys competition in local markets we condemn them. Likewise a smaller business might contribute say 1% of it's income to elect sympathetic candidates. But if Exxon attempted to do this they would be condemned by the public. In essence we hold those that have attained great success, be them individuals or businesses, to higher standards. I think it's just part our believe in fair play.

Just to remind everybody, "Republican" is NOT necessarily synonymous with "Conservative". In numerous cases they can be quite opposite.
When it comes to personal beliefs labels are often meaningless. I know Democrats that believe strongly in abortion rights and are against gun control. Presidents have have appointed many judges that they thought would be sympathetic to their liberal or conservative views, only to see them rule just the opposite.

Most liberals or conservatives seem to have predictable stands on the issues until they are elected to Congress. However once elected, those beliefs are always challenged by reality. Too often the choice is to stick with the party line or vote your conscience. Unfortunately, almost all votes in Congress are along party lines. Often legislation is passed or voted down based on how it might be precede by supporters with little regard for content.

I yearn for the day when collisions can be formed to pass legislation that is good for country instead for the party. Neither party is all right or wrong.

Last edited:
When it comes to personal beliefs labels are often meaningless. I know Democrats that believe strongly in abortion rights and are against gun control. Presidents have have appointed many judges that they thought would be sympathetic to their liberal or conservative views, only to see them rule just the opposite.

Most liberals or conservatives seem to have predictable stands on the issues until they are elected to Congress. However once elected, those beliefs are always challenged by reality. Too often the choice is to stick with the party line or vote your conscience. Unfortunately, almost all votes in Congress are along party lines. Often legislation is passed or voted down based on how it might be precede by supporters with little regard for content.

I yearn for the day when collisions can be formed to pass legislation that is good for country instead for the party. Neither party is all right or wrong.

That will happen if we can pass a constitutional amendment making it illegal for the federal government to dispense any of the people's money as charity or to benefit ANY special interest, group, or constituency.

At the state and local level we need ironclad laws that one adminisration cannot obligate subsequent administrations for ANY expenditure in such a way that it cannot be rescinded.

And require government budgets at all levels to be balanced.

And voila. You immediately have mostly honest and ethical government.

Why don't those of you on the Right simply name the government policies you support that do in fact serve to primarily help the poor?

That's hard to say because every government program in existence has become rife with waste, corruption, and bureaucracy. If they were to be reformed, I'd support the following:

Social Security for those who need it
Temporary Unemployment Insurance
Section 8 housing
SSI Disability

You were proven wrong..

But piss and vinegar to the end.

Now that's my KIND OF WOMAN! :clap2:

In other words, you can't defend your method of picking one person and claiming they represent the "conservative way of doing things" now that you've been called on it.

Thank you. I accept your surrender. Move along.

The criteria is the same for businesses as individuals. If you cheat, lie, and steal to reach your goals, you qualify.

Then why does the left continually demonize businesses that don't do that, But merely for their size?
We expect more from individuals or businesses that reach the top. When a small business tries to drive away competition, we say that's just business. But if a business like Exxon Mobil or Walmart destroys competition in local markets we condemn them. Likewise a smaller business might contribute say 1% of it's income to elect sympathetic candidates. But if Exxon attempted to do this they would be condemned by the public. In essence we hold those that have attained great success, be them individuals or businesses, to higher standards. I think it's just part our believe in fair play.

I'm assuming that by "we", you either mean other ignorant, envious jackwagons like yourself, or you have a mouse in your pocket. I think MOST of the public actually knows that your version of "holding to a higher standard" is really just mindless jealousy and vitriol against those who dare to be more successful than you. I think they also know that there's nothing any more wrong or less fair about a large company competing against other companies in its field than there is when a small business does it, so long as both stay within the law. Likewise, there's nothing wrong with a large company donating the maximum allowed to a political campaign. Anyone who really believes it's possible to take money out of politics should consider honestly how much money politicians control.

really? How so? what conservatives are not republicans?

Back during the GOP reform revolution that began in 1994, there were 30 some conservative Democrats who were swept into office at the same time those visionary Republicans took control of Congress. And those Democrats shared most of the same principles and goals as did the conservative Republicans. The leader was a young man by the name of Tim Penny who I would have voted for had he run for ANYTHING!! An exemplary human being, statesman, and briliant legislator. Unfortunately, as most of the other reformers did, he term limited himself out of office after six years.

There are many, if not most, independents who are quite conservative. These make up the core group of the Tea Party movement.

Conversely there are many liberal Republicans. We uncharitably often label them RINOs, but that is a misnomer because like the Democratic Party used to be, the GOP is a big tent that accepts many different points of view. Over many decades now, however, the GOP has been as guilty as the Democrats in growing the size, power, and scope of government. They have been a tad more fiscally conservative and don't grow it as fast, but their hands aren't clean in increasing deficits and the debt.

Forum List

Back