If i smoked a pork butt on Sunday

hush both of you...i see this shit...ya know...

i am thinking of doing turkey for winter solstice or rib roast
Don't you like barbecue, bones? What did we say?
I'd go with the rib roast. Is that the one with the crown of bones sticking up with little paper booties?

The butt turned out GREAT! Couldn't even tell it I cooked it on Sunday.
Thanks guys!
I tried barbecue for the first time last week at our new barbecue restaurant. Pulled smoked chicken. I liked it, but maybe the smoke flavor was a little strong. There were two kinds of barbecue sauce on the table, and I tried them both, but mostly all I could taste was the smoke. Next week, they'll start serving ribs, which is what I'm really looking forward to.
I don't like too much of a smoky flavor. For this butt, I only used a piece of wood about 2" in diameter and about 7 inches long or so. For meat this size, I usually wrap in alum foil after a couple hours.
Don't be fooled by liquid smoke. A lot of lazy bbqers use that junky bullshit.
Hell, I went down the road and tried out a new BBW joint. The lazy asshole cooked it in the oven with liquid smoke. Gross.
You know, TN, you might be right. He has two smokers and a pile of hardwood outside, but he isn't using them (they're covered in snow, now). When I walked in, I couldn't smell smoke at all, and the kitchen is open to the dining area. For this area, where most everyone cooks their meat to death, the fact that it's moist and tender is enough of a novelty, I guess. He seems to be doing pretty well.

You'll find that the majority of BBQ joints use gas fired pitts and a little wood,while it turns out decent BBQ it doesnt compare with the real deal.
Dont know where you live but you may not even have real BBQ available in your area.
This is the type place you're looking for....
upload_2016-12-14_11-5-21.png

This guy is a legend but it's hell trying to get in the door.
Austin's Franklin Barbecue

Thanks guys!
I tried barbecue for the first time last week at our new barbecue restaurant. Pulled smoked chicken. I liked it, but maybe the smoke flavor was a little strong. There were two kinds of barbecue sauce on the table, and I tried them both, but mostly all I could taste was the smoke. Next week, they'll start serving ribs, which is what I'm really looking forward to.
I don't like too much of a smoky flavor. For this butt, I only used a piece of wood about 2" in diameter and about 7 inches long or so. For meat this size, I usually wrap in alum foil after a couple hours.
Hell, I went down the road and tried out a new BBW joint. The lazy asshole cooked it in the oven with liquid smoke. Gross.
You know, TN, you might be right. He has two smokers and a pile of hardwood outside, but he isn't using them (they're covered in snow, now). When I walked in, I couldn't smell smoke at all, and the kitchen is open to the dining area. For this area, where most everyone cooks their meat to death, the fact that it's moist and tender is enough of a novelty, I guess. He seems to be doing pretty well.

You'll find that the majority of BBQ joints use gas fired pitts and a little wood,while it turns out decent BBQ it doesnt compare with the real deal.
Dont know where you live but you may not even have real BBQ available in your area.
View attachment 102030
I'm in Maine, and I'm guessing I still have not had real barbecue. But at least the meat isn't cooked to jerky consistency, which is how meat is served around here. I've visited the south a couple times, but didn't have a car to get to places outside the city that sell the real thing. My mouth is still trying to imagine any pork that isn't dried out and tasteless. Maybe in the spring when the snow melts, this guy will fire up the smokers he's got outside.

So when you are finished smoking your butt you need to wrap it tightly in foil then wrap that in a towel and let it sit until it cools (if you aren't serving it sooner).

Then into the fridge or freezer.

That way you keep the juices in the roast, just reheat slow in the oven at a low temp until hot again, it should taste like you just cooked it, only better.

If you are using rosemary, remember not everybody loves it (I absolutely love the stuff but my kids don't). So if you used it somehow while smoking, remove the stems before stashing it away. Better, don't use it at all during smoking, but open up package and add just a sprig when you reheat it.

So when you are finished smoking your butt you need to wrap it tightly in foil then wrap that in a towel and let it sit until it cools (if you aren't serving it sooner).

Then into the fridge or freezer.

That way you keep the juices in the roast, just reheat slow in the oven at a low temp until hot again, it should taste like you just cooked it, only better.

If you are using rosemary, remember not everybody loves it (I absolutely love the stuff but my kids don't). So if you used it somehow while smoking, remove the stems before stashing it away. Better, don't use it at all during smoking, but open up package and add just a sprig when you reheat it.
I wrapped in saran wrap, then foil.
I warmed it back up for about 35 min or so at 275. Perfect :)
No rosemary on butts.

Thanks guys!

View attachment 102030
I'm in Maine, and I'm guessing I still have not had real barbecue. But at least the meat isn't cooked to jerky consistency, which is how meat is served around here. I've visited the south a couple times, but didn't have a car to get to places outside the city that sell the real thing. My mouth is still trying to imagine any pork that isn't dried out and tasteless. Maybe in the spring when the snow melts, this guy will fire up the smokers he's got outside.

After doing a google search I can't make a definitive conclusion as to whether Maine has real BBQ but I did see some pics that agree with your over cooked dried out meat assessment.

And a big bowl of sauteed mushrooms on the side.
It amazes me how people indulge in fungus. Is your palette that frugal?

3/4 of the delicacies of the world came about when people were starving and had to eat shit that NO HUMAN SHOULD EVER CONSIDER EATING.

When you're poor, you get creative.

I remember when our family seasonally gathered different foods every year. It's almost a lost art now...I remember going into the woods with the entire family to hunt mushrooms, I remember going to the beach to gather smelt by the garbage can full, and going to the estuary as a family to dig clams by the gross, picking blackberries and huckleberries every single year, hunting, fishing, crabbing all year round. People do these things for fun but we did it because if we didn't, our diet was seriously limited.

When you've been eating beans and fry bread for about 3 weeks, mushrooms sound pretty good.

3/4 of the delicacies of the world came about when people were starving and had to eat shit that NO HUMAN SHOULD EVER CONSIDER EATING.

I remember when our family seasonally gathered different foods every year. It's almost a lost art now...I remember going into the woods with the entire family to hunt mushrooms, I remember going to the beach to gather smelt by the garbage can full, and going to the estuary as a family to dig clams by the gross, picking blackberries and huckleberries every single year, hunting, fishing, crabbing all year round. People do these things for fun but we did it because if we didn't, our diet was seriously limited.

When you've been eating beans and fry bread for about 3 weeks, mushrooms sound pretty good.
Goose grass greens? Fiddleheads?
TN would die. LOL

Goose grass greens? Fiddleheads?
TN would die. LOL

What the hell are those?

Shrooms sauteed in butter with a good dash of Worcestershire until they're golden brown. Oh mercy.

you make it hard to disagree lol

Forum List

Back