If i smoked a pork butt on Sunday

And a big bowl of sauteed mushrooms on the side.
It amazes me how people indulge in fungus. Is your palette that frugal?

3/4 of the delicacies of the world came about when people were starving and had to eat shit that NO HUMAN SHOULD EVER CONSIDER EATING.

When you're poor, you get creative.

I remember when our family seasonally gathered different foods every year. It's almost a lost art now...I remember going into the woods with the entire family to hunt mushrooms, I remember going to the beach to gather smelt by the garbage can full, and going to the estuary as a family to dig clams by the gross, picking blackberries and huckleberries every single year, hunting, fishing, crabbing all year round. People do these things for fun but we did it because if we didn't, our diet was seriously limited.

When you've been eating beans and fry bread for about 3 weeks, mushrooms sound pretty good.
Goose grass greens? Fiddleheads?
TN would die. LOL

My granny used to pick the first dandelions of the spring and make a dish out of them..my mom made it once. I think they kind of battered and fried them, if I recall.

And I've gathered Kowash with the tribe ;) when the kids were little, for the root feast in the spring.
The old timers did the dandelion thing around here, too, but I tried them once and found them too bitter to handle. They slip them in green mixes sometimes in fancy restaurants and it takes a lot of blue cheese dressing for me to get them down.
What is Kowash? I Googled it and only came up with last names. Kinda like my goose grass greens, I guess--maybe not the "official" name?

My wife loves mushrooms. I think I will grill her some soon. Thought about stuffing them with boudain sausage. Yes or no?
Don't they dry out?
Hell idk it just popped in my head lol. I have never cooked mushrooms. But I have heard of grilled ones.

We primarily slice them and cook them in butter, scattered out in the pan so they brown a little (too crowded and they just get soggy).

They will dry out on the grill, the sausage may help but I would brush or dip them in oil or butter.

Morels we battered and fried.

We ate a lot of morels when my brother was doing his thing, the fridge was full of them.
I figured I would toss them in olive oil and melted butter right before grilling.
Fast & hot?
I don't think so, unless you cook them first. They need slow and you need to keep the moisture in. Herewegoagain's method probably would work better. I've never made them, but whatever the stuffing is, cook it first. The grilling would just be to get the grilled flavor and to heat them up, I think.

Forum List

Back