If Government is Inept, why not get rid of it?

You'd guess wrong, but that's to be expected.

Now, who were you saying is a libertarian who is also an anarchist? You know, your original claim. Don't go moving goal posts, again.

This should be interesting.

I'd still say my guess is fairly accurate, since you think libertarianism and anarchism are polar opposites.

Really? Is that what I said?

Better review.

Come back when you understand what I said, not what you imagine I said.

I'm sorry, your exact words were "Mutually exclusive," not "polar opposites." Regardless, your point was that libertarianism and anarchism do not go together, and I think the father of modern libertarianism, Murray Rothbard, would vehemently disagree.

I'd still say my guess is fairly accurate, since you think libertarianism and anarchism are polar opposites.

Better review.

I'm sorry, your exact words were "Mutually exclusive," not "polar opposites." Regardless, your point was that libertarianism and anarchism do not go together, and I think the father of modern libertarianism, Murray Rothbard, would vehemently disagree.
And, they don't; unless some equals none, in your mind.

Better review.

What do you mean by "some equals none?"

OK. Libertarians believe in some government, anarchists believe in none. They cannot be the same unless some = none. But, you claim that some libertarians are anarchists.

OK. Libertarians believe in some government, anarchists believe in none. They cannot be the same unless some = none. But, you claim that some libertarians are anarchists.

Well that's where you've made your mistake. Not all libertarians believe in some government. As a libertarian, I can assure you that some among us are anarchists.

Well that's where you've made your mistake. Not all libertarians believe in some government. As a libertarian, I can assure you that some among us are anarchists.
Then you are an anarchist, not a libertartian, if you believe in no government.

"Government is Broken"--"Government is inept"--"Government is the problem"

"YADA YADA YADA"

These are the statements uttered by rightwingers every election year. But if the problem is government, then why not get rid of it? I can think of numerous reasons why government sucks(reason #1--I am not the Dictator!) but I wonder why a rightwinger does not.

For all the Rightwingers, Libertarians, Conservatives and even rightwing Fascists--Why do you wish to keep or destroy government.

I wish to destroy it but it's just a symptom of mankinds nature so it's not going anywhere. It's like wanting to destroy death, cancer, pain and suffering. Government is in that group but since we are humankind it will always be with us. I want government gone like I want cancer gone but it's not gonna happen, but you aren't going to see my supporting cancer.

Anarcho-capitalists are libertarians. You can be both at the same time.

Here we go again with the goal posts. YOU said some libertarians are anarchists. That is not possible. Deal with it.

So then tell me why Libertarians divide themselves into mini anarchists and macro anarchists. The key word being anarchists
The same reason that demopublicraticans have factions who proclaim themselves to be "moderates".

And I don't belive for a second that Libertarians are 'anarchists' on whole. They just want Government Limited to Constitutional Mandates as written.

Government IS a necessary evil. Witout it? A society WILL become anarchist. The KEY is to limit it's function(s)...with the people firmly wrested in control of it.

And what's so terrible of that?

It's just in my view people take on the monikers of thier party(ies), and forget the core premise of Limited government...and who's gonna control what...then it explodes when whatever party gets the nod of the people...and put on the skis! The slopes get slippery from here.

[Dude? This is just a comment piled in with yours. Nothing else].

~T

So then tell me why Libertarians divide themselves into mini anarchists and macro anarchists. The key word being anarchists
The same reason that demopublicraticans have factions who proclaim themselves to be "moderates".

And I don't belive for a second that Libertarians are 'anarchists' on whole. They just want Government Limited to Constitutional Mandates as written.

Government IS a necessary evil. Witout it? A society WILL become anarchist. The KEY is to limit it's function(s)...with the people firmly wrested in control of it.

And what's so terrible of that?

It's just in my view people take on the monikers of thier party(ies), and forget the core premise of Limited government...and who's gonna control what...then it explodes when whatever party gets the nod of the people...and put on the skis! The slopes get slippery from here.

[Dude? This is just a comment piled in with yours. Nothing else].

~T
I know...Thanks for adding. ;)

Here we go again with the goal posts. YOU said some libertarians are anarchists. That is not possible. Deal with it.

Most libertarians would include anarcho-capitalists under the category of "libertarian". Deal with it.
That still doesn't change the fact that a libertarian cannot be an anarchist, as you said they could.

Damn, some cannot just suck it up when they err. Be a man about it. :rolleyes:

:lol:

I have been ruminating recently on what are the crucial questions that divide libertarians. Some that have received a lot of attention in the last few years are: anarcho-capitalism vs. limited government, abolitionism vs. gradualism, natural rights vs. utilitarianism, and war vs. peace. But I have concluded that as important as these questions are, they don’t really cut to the nub of the issue, of the crucial dividing line between us.

Do You Hate the State? by Murray N. Rothbard

This is a pretty good article as it relates to libertarian-anarchism and libertarian-minarchism.

Most libertarians would include anarcho-capitalists under the category of "libertarian". Deal with it.
That still doesn't change the fact that a libertarian cannot be an anarchist, as you said they could.

Damn, some cannot just suck it up when they err. Be a man about it. :rolleyes:

The irony is thick here.

I have been ruminating recently on what are the crucial questions that divide libertarians. Some that have received a lot of attention in the last few years are: anarcho-capitalism vs. limited government, abolitionism vs. gradualism, natural rights vs. utilitarianism, and war vs. peace. But I have concluded that as important as these questions are, they don’t really cut to the nub of the issue, of the crucial dividing line between us.

This is a pretty good article as it relates to libertarian-anarchism and libertarian-minarchism.

Yet, that still doesn't change the fact that some libertarians cannot be anarchists, as you said they could.
Some libertarians are anarchists, however.

Grow up.

"YADA YADA YADA"

These are the statements uttered by rightwingers every election year. But if the problem is government, then why not get rid of it? I can think of numerous reasons why government sucks(reason #1--I am not the Dictator!) but I wonder why a rightwinger does not.

For all the Rightwingers, Libertarians, Conservatives and even rightwing Fascists--Why do you wish to keep or destroy government.

The problem, in principal or per se, is Not with government, it is with society and culture.

There could, in theory, be a Truth-based society and then the government would have Truth-based legitimacy.

Yet, that still doesn't change the fact that some libertarians cannot be anarchists, as you said they could.
Some libertarians are anarchists, however.

Grow up.

Yes, I said it because it's true, no growing up necessary.

"YADA YADA YADA"

It's not the CONCEPT that's broken, inept, and the problem. It's the way it's being carried out, and the people doing it. And we're TRYING to get rid of it. That's rather the whole point of bringing the brokenness to people's attention.

Forum List

Back