If God Is...?

My preferred 'story' concerning religion is actually an account of a real person from Alexandria in the 5th century. Hypatia, a woman, has often been credited with being the first mathmatician who hypothesised and sought to prove that the earth is a sphere, as opposed to being flat. But her teaching and theories offended the rising dominance of Christainity under Constantine. She was murdered and her school was trashed after refusing to capitulate to the bishop of Alexandria's will. These were the events that precipitated the burning of the Library of Alexandria, the single largest source of knowledge in the known world at the time.

Last edited:
My faith believes that God has yet to reveal many things about Himself and the universe. So no it's not the last word on God. Really, it's only the first.

I guess what gets to me is the notion that God and science can't coexist. Between the naivety of the Fundamentalists that refuse scientific evidence to the folks that can reason the complexities of the Universe, but still think it's all a random coincidence.

One side as bad as the other.

• Thanks
Reactions: del
Gotta agree with LoneLaugher on this one. I definitely prefer reason to faith.

I have faith in some things, but all of my faith is reached via observation and calculation. For instance, without knowing what she's thinking, if a girl reacts in a certain way to my advances, I have faith that I can scoop her out of the club. If I give a crackhead a ride to his dealer's house and I stop and get out at a 7-11 without taking the loose change out of my ashtray, I have faith that I'm probably coming up short on loose change. I honestly don't think I'm capable of having 100 percent blind faith in anything, though it's certainly something I tried to reach for a number of years.

Ultimately, though, this issue is one on which I see eye to eye with Ayn Rand: if you take what -anyone- else says as gospel, you're willfully forfeiting your position as the final arbiter of your own reality. Anyone who removes their own conscience from that final arbiter position doesn't deserve the sentience they were lucky/blessed enough to be born with.

If god is....

Now that is the real question.

all the other questions about god are irrelevant till that one is answered.

Last edited:
No. There is no proof of any god. Seeing is believing.

Believing is seeing. When you pierce the viel of unbelief, things become much more obvious.

And there are plenty of evidences for God. If you choose not to believe them, that's your perogative, but there is evidence.

The scriptures are evidence. The natural world around us is evidence. The planets of the solar system and their orbits are evidence.

The strongest evidence I have experienced is my own witness from the Holy Spirit. I can't explain away that or deny it. Granted, you dont have to believe my experience, it's mine, but I can't avoid believing it because I know it happened.

The only way to truly know God is to have your own personal experiences with Him. The scriptures teach us how that occurs.

Gotta agree with LoneLaugher on this one. I definitely prefer reason to faith.

I have faith in some things, but all of my faith is reached via observation and calculation. For instance, without knowing what she's thinking, if a girl reacts in a certain way to my advances, I have faith that I can scoop her out of the club. If I give a crackhead a ride to his dealer's house and I stop and get out at a 7-11 without taking the loose change out of my ashtray, I have faith that I'm probably coming up short on loose change. I honestly don't think I'm capable of having 100 percent blind faith in anything, though it's certainly something I tried to reach for a number of years.

Ultimately, though, this issue is one on which I see eye to eye with Ayn Rand: if you take what -anyone- else says as gospel, you're willfully forfeiting your position as the final arbiter of your own reality. Anyone who removes their own conscience from that final arbiter position doesn't deserve the sentience they were lucky/blessed enough to be born with.

I certainly understand your position. Personally, I dont see that we are ever asked to take blind faith. In fact, i see faith in Christ as very illuminating.

If god is....

I think God answered that when He said "I AM"

and it is the ultimate question. One of Supreme importance. Because if He is there, and I can testify that He is, then the course of our lives can dstrastically change compared what they could be if He isnt.

If god is....

and it is the ultimate question. One of Supreme importance. Because if He is there, and I can testify that He is, then the course of our lives can dstrastically change compared what they could be if He isnt.

Umm some human wrote that down.
From the same group of humans that claim to be the chosen of god, etc.

Your proof of god's existence seems to all revolve around one manuscript that humans wrote down.

"Believing is seeing. When you pierce the viel of unbelief, things become much more obvious."

Sounds like LSD, but it's LDS.

If god is....

Umm some human wrote that down.
From the same group of humans that claim to be the chosen of god, etc.

Your proof of god's existence seems to all revolve around one manuscript that humans wrote down.

Try applying Conscience..... We'll leave the light on for you. ;)

Can't decide if I am an atheist or just incredibly pissed of at God. I can't accept that any God that gives a damn about us would allow what happened to a woman as selflessly giving and widely adored as my mother, she died after long and horrible suffering, can't forgive him/her/it for that, easier to just consider the universe empty and meaninglessly chaotic.

My preferred 'story' concerning religion is actually an account of a real person from Alexandria in the 5th century. Hypatia, a woman, has often been credited with being the first mathmatician who hypothesised and sought to prove that the earth is a sphere, as opposed to being flat. But her teaching and theories offended the rising dominance of Christainity under Constantine. She was murdered and her school was trashed after refusing to capitulate to the bishop of Alexandria's will. These were the events that precipitated the burning of the Library of Alexandria, the single largest source of knowledge in the known world at the time.

The Agora is the movie. Terrible how early christians were vandals and murderers.

Forum List

Back