If God doesn't exist...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Apologies. I'll correct:

Wrong. It's people's greed, lust, pride, anger and jealousy that were the cause of all those things. Religions attempt to deal with these negative aspects.
Religion is the one that invented women as second class citizens. Some religions outright enslave women with other religions' duplicity.

Islam certainly does but today's Christianity treats women very well.
Is that why the pope won't let women be equal to men, even in the church?

Again, you're cherry picking. Most Christians I know aren't Catholic and women in their churches are treated equal to men.
So what small sect are you from?

PS dingbat liked your last post and he's a Catholic, lol. I guess he doesn't know what the word means, lol.
This isn't a football game. I don't root for "my" team. I root for truth. If you ever said anything that made sense and was truthful, I'd agree with that too.

No. I'm saying you don't know what you're talking about.
Ya, that old saw "you're ignorant", :lol:
Still, you have no proof for what you're talking about.

Post #2387. That you don't know something so basic to Christianity shows me your ignorance of the religion.
He doesn't care. He is only here for his own amusement. He is a troll.
Shaddap! Or I'll send you back on TILT! :rofl:
You are the one who has an external locus of control, ot me. I don't transfer my control to external sources, that's what you do. In fact you just did that when you blamed Brynmr for YOUR actions. It seems that now there are two of us who control you.

Last edited:

Post #2387. That you don't know something so basic to Christianity shows me your ignorance of the religion.
Are you talking about God or mudda?
lol, good one. Mudda.

Yep, hang on to that old saw for dear life! It's all you've got! :lmao:

Are you too stupid to understand the point I made or are you just covering for your mistakes. I'm guessing the latter.
Actually I believe it is more driven by pride and vanity. He can't admit that he was ever wrong about anything.

Are you too stupid to understand the point I made or are you just covering for your mistakes. I'm guessing the latter.
Actually I believe it is more driven by pride and vanity. He can't admit that he was ever wrong about anything.

Yeah, that's a better explanation.

Religion changes people to feel better about themselves by telling them a load of malarkey, just like Scientology, Jim Jones, John Smith and all the rest of the con men. I guess we have a very different version of the words "good actions". Mine doesn't involve filling people's heads with nonsense, otherwise known as brainwashing, so I can get them to follow me like sheep. They might as well be on hard drugs, they also waste lives.

You're claiming religions are nonsense because you think they are nonsense. That's nonsense. You're showing your ignorance of religions and setting up straw man arguments.
If a placebo religion makes people feel better without doing any harm to them or other, I'd say go for it. But sorry, religions cause so much hate against others, like women, gays, other religions, doctors... and cause too many wars, even today. So the only strawman argument is the one made by your invisible friend who doesn't actually exist.
Not true. Dopamine serves two purposes; 1. it makes us feel happy; 2. it turns on all of the learning centers of the brain. Research shows that being happy has a competitiveness advantage to being neutral, negative or stressed. Furthermore, research shows that we can train our brains to be happy by being thankful, prayerful and performing random acts of kindness over a 30 day period. All things that Christianity teaches its adherents to practice on a regular basis. So while it may be true that all Christians don't practice these values, the ones that do will enjoy a happiness advantage. It is no accident that Western Civilization was so successful. Happiness leads to success.

http://greatergood.berkeley.edu/pdfs/GratitudePDFs/6Emmons-BlessingsBurdens.pdf (thankfulness)

Dweck, C. (2007). Mindset: The new psychology of success. New York, NY: Ballantine Books. (meditation/prayer)

http://sonjalyubomirsky.com/wp-content/themes/sonjalyubomirsky/papers/LSS2005.pdf (conscious/random acts of kindness)

If a placebo religion makes people feel better without doing any harm to them or other, I'd say go for it. But sorry, religions cause so much hate against others, like women, gays, other religions, doctors... and cause too many wars, even today. So the only strawman argument is the one made by your invisible friend who doesn't actually exist.

Despite the fact that you are making a fringe argument, your argument has two major flaws which are common to all critical theory arguments; 1. your analysis was made in a vacuum; 2. what you did analyze lacked objectivity.

Religion promotes the virtues of thankfulness, forgiveness, humility, chastity, temperance, charity, diligence, patience and kindness. Religion is responsible for the creation of wonderful charities and organizations which serve the betterment of man. Religious persons and institutions are usually the first source of literacy, education, and healthcare in the poorer regions. Religious persons and institutions have been the source of abundant human services from hospitals, orphanages, nursing homes, and schools, to advocacy on behalf of those with no voice, to supporting cultural outreaches, and seeking always to find ways in which to protect and promote human life and its authentic flourishing. Religion gave us the concept of subsidiarity and has done what no government can ever do, namely teach morality and civility Religion teaches accountability and responsibility. Religion teaches that we have a choice in how we behave and that actions have consequences. Religion inspires a sense of wonder in nature and the universe and helps us feel connected to one another and to nature through regular community gatherings. Religion helps us feel less alone in the world by binding the community together. Religion serves to ennoble the human spirit and inspires love, peace and happiness. Religion brings order to our lives by promoting the virtues of thankfulness, forgiveness and humility. Religion brings comfort to the terminally ill and can act as a source of hope for the oppressed. Religion teaches that we can transform ourselves. That it is possible to change for the better. Christian values were the foundation which Western Civilization was built upon. No other institution played a greater role in shaping Western Civilization than the Catholic Church. Modern science was born in the Catholic Church. Catholic priests developed the idea of free-market. The Catholic Church invented the university. Western law grew out of Church canon law. The Church humanized the West by insisting on the sacredness of all human life. The Church constantly sought to alleviate the evils of slavery and repeatedly denounced the mass enslavement of conquered populations and the infamous slave trade, thereby undermining slavery at its sources. Religion gave us great thinkers, leaders and humanitarians. Religion gave us America. Religion gave us incredible artwork, music and architecture. Christianity has spread democracy throughout the world. Christians fought other Christians in WWII to end their aggression and rebuilt Europe and Japan after WWII. Christians put a man on the moon and ended the cold war.

So getting back to my point that your argument has two major flaws; your argument that God and religion have done little good is not objective and you have yet to tell us what good the alternative to religion has done. Exactly what has militant atheism done? Because as near as I can tell, militant atheism's claim to fame is murdering 200 million people in the 20th century.

Critical theory is the theory to unfairly criticize everything that you don't believe in to validate what you do believe in. The problem is that you never test what you do believe. Critical thinking is used to test what you do believe. Critical theory is used to test what you don't believe.

Your god. DUH!

I don't believe in "God". Feeling silly now?
No, if you're going to hide that fact and take pot-shots, then you must be pretty embarrassed about your sect.

I wasn't hiding anything. Your mistake was you presumed what I believed without asking. Now you're compounding your mistake by trying to blame me. You should take some responsibility.
My opinions stand on their own, regardless of anyone's subterfuge, or lack of belief in a god. So you're a loser anyways. Happy? :D

Religion is the one that invented women as second class citizens. Some religions outright enslave women with other religions' duplicity.

Again, you're cherry picking. Most Christians I know aren't Catholic and women in their churches are treated equal to men.

PS dingbat liked your last post and he's a Catholic, lol. I guess he doesn't know what the word means, lol.
This isn't a football game. I don't root for "my" team. I root for truth. If you ever said anything that made sense and was truthful, I'd agree with that too.
You should google the word Catholic, you've obviously lost your way.

Good, you have a good hold on your myths. Good for you.

You are the one who has an external locus of control, ot me. I don't transfer my control to external sources, that's what you do. In fact you just did that when you blamed Brynmr for YOUR actions. It seems that now there are two of us who control you.
Am I allowed to have anyone but god control me? :dunno:
I bet there's a passage in the bible about that, do you know it?

lol, good one. Mudda.
lol, good one. God.

Your god. DUH!

I don't believe in "God". Feeling silly now?
No, if you're going to hide that fact and take pot-shots, then you must be pretty embarrassed about your sect.

I wasn't hiding anything. Your mistake was you presumed what I believed without asking. Now you're compounding your mistake by trying to blame me. You should take some responsibility.
My opinions stand on their own, regardless of anyone's subterfuge, or lack of belief in a god. So you're a loser anyways. Happy? :D
I'm happy most of the time. It is the secret of my success. I suspect Brynmr is too. I doubt very seriously if you are though. People who troll religious forums to mock the beliefs of others do not have true happiness which is why they seek artificial happiness. The problem with that is that it is not satisfying. You need to constantly feed your wolf.

You should google the word Catholic, you've obviously lost your way.
How so?

Am I allowed to have anyone but god control me? :dunno:
I bet there's a passage in the bible about that, do you know it?
I'm not sure of what Bible verse you are referring to but you are allowed to do anything you want. It's called free will. Choose wisely because choices have consequences. We live in a universe where there has never been an uncaused event. Effects have causes. At any point in your life you are the sum of your choices.

lol, good one. Mudda.
lol, good one. God.
Which is how I know you are not objective. Critical theory is the theory to unfairly criticize everything that you don't believe in to validate what you do believe in. The problem is that you never test what you do believe. Critical thinking is used to test what you do believe. Critical theory is used to test what you don't believe.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Forum List

Back