If God doesn't exist...

Status
Not open for further replies.
You incorrectly attributed this quote to me instead of Mudda.

Apologies. I'll correct:

Again, here's another example, "2) Christian values were the foundation which Western Civilization was built upon." Religion has separated everyone into little groups that all hate each other and think that everyone else is wrong. The result has been a never ending cycle of wars, hatred and the enslavement of women.

Wrong. It's people's greed, lust, pride, anger and jealousy that were the cause of all those things. Religions attempt to deal with these negative aspects.

Apologies. I'll correct:

Again, here's another example, "2) Christian values were the foundation which Western Civilization was built upon." Religion has separated everyone into little groups that all hate each other and think that everyone else is wrong. The result has been a never ending cycle of wars, hatred and the enslavement of women.

Wrong. It's people's greed, lust, pride, anger and jealousy that were the cause of all those things. Religions attempt to deal with these negative aspects.
And Again you're confusing the bad actions of some Christians with the religion they're supposed to be following.

Jesus answered, "I am the way and the truth and the life.
No one comes to the Father except through me.

What could be more negative than a religion based on a lie ... or more corrupt.

It's people's greed, lust, pride, anger and jealousy that were the cause of all those things.

no, the written text of christianity is the cause. those that chose to worship a book of lies is the answer and the reason for their history of purposeful oppression.

Apologies. I'll correct:

And Again you're confusing the bad actions of some Christians with the religion they're supposed to be following.

It's people's greed, lust, pride, anger and jealousy that were the cause of all those things.

no, the written text of christianity is the cause. those that chose to worship a book of lies is the answer and the reason for their history of purposeful oppression.

Christianity promotes the virtues of thankfulness, forgiveness, humility, chastity, temperance, charity, diligence, patience and kindness. Christianity is responsible for the creation of wonderful charities and organizations which serve the betterment of man. Christians and Christian institutions are usually the first source of literacy, education, and healthcare in the poorer regions.Christians and Christian institutions have been the source of abundant human services from hospitals, orphanages, nursing homes, and schools, to advocacy on behalf of those with no voice, to supporting cultural outreaches, and seeking always to find ways in which to protect and promote human life and its authentic flourishing. Christianity gave us the concept of subsidiarity and has done what no government can ever do, namely teach morality and civility Christianity teaches accountability and responsibility. Christianity teaches that we have a choice in how we behave and that actions have consequences. Christianity inspires a sense of wonder in nature and the universe and helps us feel connected to one another and to nature through regular community gatherings. Christianity helps us feel less alone in the world by binding the community together. Christianity serves to ennoble the human spirit and inspires love, peace and happiness. Christianity brings order to our lives by promoting the virtues of thankfulness, forgiveness and humility. Christianity brings comfort to the terminally ill and can act as a source of hope for the oppressed. Christianity teaches that we can transform ourselves. That it is possible to change for the better. Christian values were the foundation which Western Civilization was built upon. No other institution played a greater role in shaping Western Civilization than the Catholic Church. Modern science was born in the Catholic Church. Catholic priests developed the idea of free-market. The Catholic Church invented the university. Western law grew out of Church canon law. The Church humanized the West by insisting on the sacredness of all human life. The Church constantly sought to alleviate the evils of slavery and repeatedly denounced the mass enslavement of conquered populations and the infamous slave trade, thereby undermining slavery at its sources. Religion gave us great thinkers, leaders and humanitarians. Christianity gave us America. Christianity gave us incredible artwork, music and architecture. Christianity has spread democracy throughout the world. Christians fought other Christians in WWII to end their aggression and rebuilt Europe and Japan after WWII. Christians put a man on the moon and ended the cold war.

For Him to allow the atrocities and wickedness that has occurred in His Church without smiting anybody, and also for other monotheistic religions in His name, guilty of equal crimes, and which span thousands of years without godly punishment... means one of 4 options:

1. He doesn't know
2. He doesn't care
3. He doesn't exist
4. He is evil

Maybe those thousands of years insanity are merely the consequences, the natural result, of people giving their minds over to superstitious archaic lore, irrational religious beliefs and degrading religious practices..

How could you blame that on God?

Seriously.

If you take your own children and instill in them a mental illness since birth by teaching them to believe in irrational nonsense how can you then turn around and blame God for the stupid things they might say or do in life?

Wouldn't it be your own fault?

No! That is not an answer based on the question. Sure! If you instill that mental illness into your offspring, and then they go about and do things that are detrimental to society, they are still following the religion that the parents taught them. Which tells them that "God" commands and approves those horrific acts.

So it does come back to the "God" question. Because if that bullshit didn't exist, most people wouldn't do the bad things they have done. And if "He" is an omnipotent, benevolent, and all-knowing figure, there are only 4 reasons why He would allow what has happened in the last 6000 years of recorded human history.

Somehow that got trapped in the previous post, but here it goes again:

No! That is not an answer based on the question. Sure! If you instill that mental illness into your offspring, and then they go about and do things that are detrimental to society, they are still following the religion that the parents taught them. Which tells them that "God" commands and approves those horrific acts.

So it does come back to the "God" question. Because if that bullshit didn't exist, most people wouldn't do the bad things they have done. And if "He" is an omnipotent, benevolent, and all-knowing figure, there are only 4 reasons why He would allow the mass atrocities that have happened in the last 6000 years of recorded human history. I'm talking the really terrible shit.

I was born into that religious bullshit. I refused it as a child, and after many years, learned reality. Luckily, my parents didn't force me to continue the bullshit. But I still did, on my own, researching stuff... and learned a lot of things! Before the internet!

If i was one of those people given the choice to accept or die, during the Crusades and the Inquisitions... I would have probably accepted the BS if I had a family. If i didn't, I would have spit in their faces, and let them burn me as a faggot, and try to take as many of them down before I got burnt.

The question I proposed, and the votes I'd like to see, are based on why a benevolent, omnipotent, all-knowing "God" would let those horrors happen. There are 4 options that I can think of, and I listed them above. If anyone can think of a 5th, feel free to add it.... :)

Last edited:
Here it is again, for posterity...

For Him to allow the atrocities and wickedness that has occurred in His Church without smiting anybody, and also for other monotheistic religions in His name, guilty of equal crimes, and which span thousands of years without godly punishment... means one of 4 options:

1. He doesn't know
2. He doesn't care
3. He doesn't exist
4. He is evil

Actually, there is a 5th option, and that is that our universe is a simulation in somebody else's computer game.

And they're trying different stuff, and don't really care what happens. They're not a benevolent God, but a snot-nosed kid in some very technically-advanced society. Sometimes they don't even know what happened if they weren't present at the time. And they're not evil. They're just playing a video game, like the "Sims", but way more advanced.

And that's us. We're the consequences.

A lot of scientists are into this idea, but it raises other questions about those "other" people that are playing the video game. It's definitely an option though.

That should be #5. We are a virtual simulation (like the Matrix)...

For Him to allow the atrocities and wickedness that has occurred in His Church without smiting anybody, and also for other monotheistic religions in His name, guilty of equal crimes, and which span thousands of years without godly punishment... means one of 5 options:

1. He doesn't know
2. He doesn't care
3. He doesn't exist
4. He is evil
5. He is playing a video game

Last edited:

How do you know it's a lie. And keep in mind that not everyone wants to get to God. Your reasoning is founded on a straw man argument. You'll have to do better than that.

Here it is again, for posterity...

1. He doesn't know
2. He doesn't care
3. He doesn't exist
4. He is evil

I think Christians would answer with the free will business but then I'd counter with why then have a god at all. I think your question is a good one and one I've been asking as well. How can an omnipotent god allow ISIS (for instance) slaughter men, women, and children. Also, Christians thank God when something good happens so why do they think God has a hand in things then and not at other times.

You want greedy? The Catholic church is the richest entity in the world and have their hand out every time you go to church.

That is an example of human greed not a greedy religion. You're confusing the two.
So the heads of all religions are going to hell?

Enlighten us, what good has religion brought?

Religions have helped some of us become more loving and compassionate people, lessened our fears and brought much inner peace. This radiates out into society in large and small ways.
I dunno brah, don't you watch the news? Christians shooting doctors, Muslims wanting to kill everyone, Sikhs and Hindus at each other throats... What your talking about is what religion is supposed to do. That wasn't the question. Please try again.

All you doing is cherry-picking to make your case. Everything I mentioned is grounded in reality. You can find case after case of people saying how their faith has changed them and how they're doing positive things in the world. You ignore these things because they don't fit you narrative.

And Again you're confusing the bad actions of some Christians with the religion they're supposed to be following. These bad people would commit bad actions whether they were Christians or not.
Religion changes people to feel better about themselves by telling them a load of malarkey, just like Scientology, Jim Jones, John Smith and all the rest of the con men. I guess we have a very different version of the words "good actions". Mine doesn't involve filling people's heads with nonsense, otherwise known as brainwashing, so I can get them to follow me like sheep. They might as well be on hard drugs, they also waste lives.

You want greedy? The Catholic church is the richest entity in the world and have their hand out every time you go to church.

That is an example of human greed not a greedy religion. You're confusing the two.

Only if you hold to the false idea that only perfect people are admitted to Heaven.

Apologies. I'll correct:

Religion is the one that invented women as second class citizens. Some religions outright enslave women with other religions' duplicity.

Apologies. I'll correct:

No worries.

Only if you hold to the false idea that only perfect people are admitted to Heaven.
So you can be a greedy bastard like the pope and still get into heaven? No thanks, I think I'll pass on it. :D

Apologies. I'll correct:

Christianity promotes the virtues of thankfulness, forgiveness, humility, chastity, temperance, charity, diligence, patience and kindness. Christianity is responsible for the creation of wonderful charities and organizations which serve the betterment of man. Christians and Christian institutions are usually the first source of literacy, education, and healthcare in the poorer regions.Christians and Christian institutions have been the source of abundant human services from hospitals, orphanages, nursing homes, and schools, to advocacy on behalf of those with no voice, to supporting cultural outreaches, and seeking always to find ways in which to protect and promote human life and its authentic flourishing. Christianity gave us the concept of subsidiarity and has done what no government can ever do, namely teach morality and civility Christianity teaches accountability and responsibility. Christianity teaches that we have a choice in how we behave and that actions have consequences. Christianity inspires a sense of wonder in nature and the universe and helps us feel connected to one another and to nature through regular community gatherings. Christianity helps us feel less alone in the world by binding the community together. Christianity serves to ennoble the human spirit and inspires love, peace and happiness. Christianity brings order to our lives by promoting the virtues of thankfulness, forgiveness and humility. Christianity brings comfort to the terminally ill and can act as a source of hope for the oppressed. Christianity teaches that we can transform ourselves. That it is possible to change for the better. Christian values were the foundation which Western Civilization was built upon. No other institution played a greater role in shaping Western Civilization than the Catholic Church. Modern science was born in the Catholic Church. Catholic priests developed the idea of free-market. The Catholic Church invented the university. Western law grew out of Church canon law. The Church humanized the West by insisting on the sacredness of all human life. The Church constantly sought to alleviate the evils of slavery and repeatedly denounced the mass enslavement of conquered populations and the infamous slave trade, thereby undermining slavery at its sources. Religion gave us great thinkers, leaders and humanitarians. Christianity gave us America. Christianity gave us incredible artwork, music and architecture. Christianity has spread democracy throughout the world. Christians fought other Christians in WWII to end their aggression and rebuilt Europe and Japan after WWII. Christians put a man on the moon and ended the cold war.
Christians may have put a man on the moon, but it was science, not religion, that did the heavy lifting.

Religion changes people to feel better about themselves by telling them a load of malarkey, just like Scientology, Jim Jones, John Smith and all the rest of the con men. I guess we have a very different version of the words "good actions". Mine doesn't involve filling people's heads with nonsense, otherwise known as brainwashing, so I can get them to follow me like sheep. They might as well be on hard drugs, they also waste lives.

You're claiming religions are nonsense because you think they are nonsense. That's nonsense. You're showing your ignorance of religions and setting up straw man arguments.

Apologies. I'll correct:

Religion is the one that invented women as second class citizens. Some religions outright enslave women with other religions' duplicity.

Islam certainly does but today's Christianity treats women very well.

You're claiming religions are nonsense because you think they are nonsense. That's nonsense. You're showing your ignorance of religions and setting up straw man arguments.
If a placebo religion makes people feel better without doing any harm to them or other, I'd say go for it. But sorry, religions cause so much hate against others, like women, gays, other religions, doctors... and cause too many wars, even today. So the only strawman argument is the one made by your invisible friend who doesn't actually exist.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Forum List

Back