‘If Fred Got Two Beatings Per Day…’ Kid's Homework Asks

Sunni Man

Diamond Member
Aug 14, 2008
Patriotic American Muslim
Third graders in in Gwinnett County, Ga., were given math homework Wednesday that asked questions about slavery and beatings.

Christopher Braxton told ABC News affiliate WSB-TV in Atlanta that he couldn’t believe the assignment his 8-year-old son brought home from of Beaver Ridge Elementary school in Norcross.

The question read, “Each tree had 56 oranges. If eight slaves pick them equally, then how much would each slave pick?”

Another math problem read, “If Frederick got two beatings per day, how many beatings did he get in one week?”

Another question asked how many baskets of cotton Frederick filled.
“I was furious at that point,” Braxton said.

“This outrages me because it just lets me know that there’s still racists,” said Stephanie Jones, whose child is a student at the school.

“Something like that shouldn’t be imbedded into a kid of the third, fourth, fifth, any grade,” parent Terrance Barnett told WSB-TV. “I’m having to explain to my 8-year-old why slavery or slaves or beatings are in a math problem. That hurts.”

“In this one, the teachers were trying to do a cross-curricular activity,” Gwinnett County school district spokeswoman Sloan Roach said.

Roach said the teachers were attempting to incorporate social studies into math problems.

“We understand that there are concerns about these questions, and we agree that these questions were not appropriate,” she said

http://abcnews.go.com/blogs/headlines/2012/01/if-fred-got-two-beatings-per-day-homework-asks/

Last edited:
A couple of my black students said they were offended and embarrassed by the amount of time teachers spend on slavery. Overkill can be counter-productive. PC on steroids.

Third graders in in Gwinnett County, Ga., were given math homework Wednesday that asked questions about slavery and beatings.

Christopher Braxton told ABC News affiliate WSB-TV in Atlanta that he couldn’t believe the assignment his 8-year-old son brought home from of Beaver Ridge Elementary school in Norcross.

The question read, “Each tree had 56 oranges. If eight slaves pick them equally, then how much would each slave pick?”

Another math problem read, “If Frederick got two beatings per day, how many beatings did he get in one week?”

Another question asked how many baskets of cotton Frederick filled.
“I was furious at that point,” Braxton said.

“This outrages me because it just lets me know that there’s still racists,” said Stephanie Jones, whose child is a student at the school.

“Something like that shouldn’t be imbedded into a kid of the third, fourth, fifth, any grade,” parent Terrance Barnett told WSB-TV. “I’m having to explain to my 8-year-old why slavery or slaves or beatings are in a math problem. That hurts.”

“In this one, the teachers were trying to do a cross-curricular activity,” Gwinnett County school district spokeswoman Sloan Roach said.

Roach said the teachers were attempting to incorporate social studies into math problems.

“We understand that there are concerns about these questions, and we agree that these questions were not appropriate,” she said

http://abcnews.go.com/blogs/headlines/2012/01/if-fred-got-two-beatings-per-day-homework-asks/

This just is not possible...

Why is this viewed as racist?

The school Principal said: "the teachers were attempting to incorporate social studies into math problems."

Isn't this what PC "progressive education" is all about? :cool:

What's so difficult about those questions?

The first answer is 7 and the second is 14.

What is with people and math these days?

Snaps: Round the rough and rugged rocks the ragged rascal rudely ran. Aw, it's no use, Doc. I'll never learn to talk good.

Dr. Thornton Poole:
Do not despair, Mr. Provolon-e. We shall try a different tack. "Rocco the rum-runner rubbed out Rico the Rat with his Rosco for robbing his rum-running receipts."

Snaps: Rocco the rum-runner rubbed out Rico the Rat with his Rosco for robbing his rum-running receipts!!!!!

Dr. Thornton Poole:
You've got it!

Snaps: Well, yeah! You finally came up with something that made sense!

While I have never seen or heard about this kind of social studies/math crossovers before I have heard of dealing with math problems designed to address problems students might actually face?

Two men have two guns each for a total of four guns. The magazine of each gun holds ten bullets. How many bullets do the men have?

The local drug dealer has 30 dime baggies cocaine to sell. How much does he make in profit if he pays $4.00 for each baggie from his supplier?

While I have never seen or heard about this kind of social studies/math crossovers before I have heard of dealing with math problems designed to address problems students might actually face?

Two men have two guns each for a total of four guns. The magazine of each gun holds ten bullets. How many bullets do the men have?

The local drug dealer has 30 dime baggies cocaine to sell. How much does he make in profit if he pays $4.00 for each baggie from his supplier?

Oh, I've heard of math being taught this way, though usually they would use baseball as the tool.

Correct

The black kids need to keep perpetuating the victim/slave mentality

And the white kids forever feeling guilty for being white.

Leftist/Progressive strategy 101 for keeping people divided and dependent.

I saw this bit of news on the HLN News one afternoon, and they indeed showed the actual papers that the questions had been asked on....and they also had a brief interview with a school official, who admitted the questions were not appropriate and there were a few parents who were outraged.
At the end of the news feed, they announced those particular tests were removed from the Georgia school system and were shredded, so they could not be used elsewhere.

Forum List

Back