If everyone is special, no one is special

CSM said:
Brain surgery might be a good example. If I have to have brain surgery, I want the best damn brain surgeon that can be had. I definitely do not want the brain surgeon that graduated with the rest of the class but has no clue how to perform brain surgery.
I don't think you have to worry. The top medical schools and colleges and prety good a weeding out the weak.

Kathianne said:
What I seriously disagree with J on though is that kids are getting 'smarter', because of earlier exposure to higher level materials, along with so many outlets for information. He's correct about the exposure, starting in 1st grade the students are exposed to geometry at a basic level, becoming more complicated each year. Of course they start out with the solids that can be manipulated, then lines, etc. He's also correct about the amount of information available at the click of a key
I agree, Geometry in 1st grade is stupid. That's the time for the basics of arithmetic. Here's how I see it **Note, I can't remember the name everything that was taught in elementary school, so my suggestions are for both the things I mention, and for math, "at the same level."
1st: The Basics (Addition, Subtraction)
2nd: Solidify the basics and start adding new material
3rd: Multiplication and Division, Fractions and Decimals and the like.
4th: Review and strengthen understanding. Divide the class into Gifted, Average, and Slow learners
5th PreAlgebra for Gifted and Average; back to the basics for Slow
6th Algebra 1
7th Geometry and Intermediate Algebra
8th PreCalculus
9th Calculus
10th Statistics
11th Linear Algebra and Multivariable Calculus
12th Either done with Math, or advanced honors courses

I think this is a good Gifted program. Average and slow students would probably finish at calculus and precalulus respectively

Mr.Conley said:
I don't think you have to worry. The top medical schools and colleges and prety good a weeding out the weak.

I agree, Geometry in 1st grade is stupid. That's the time for the basics of arithmetic. Here's how I see it **Note, I can't remember the name everything that was taught in elementary school, so my suggestions are for both the things I mention, and for math, "at the same level."
1st: The Basics (Addition, Subtraction)
2nd: Solidify the basics and start adding new material
3rd: Multiplication and Division, Fractions and Decimals and the like.
4th: Review and strengthen understanding. Divide the class into Gifted, Average, and Slow learners
5th PreAlgebra for Gifted and Average; back to the basics for Slow
6th Algebra 1
7th Geometry and Intermediate Algebra
8th PreCalculus
9th Calculus
10th Statistics
11th Linear Algebra and Multivariable Calculus
12th Either done with Math, or advanced honors courses

I think this is a good Gifted program. Average and slow students would probably finish at calculus and precalulus respectively
I agree, that is how most gifted math programs are done. What I was addressing was the 'normal' curriculum, where too many kids are lost by 4th grade.

Mr.Conley said:
That's why they need to divide the kids up by ability as soon as possible.
On that we'll agree. See what I posted earlier about university education departments being at the core of what we are speaking of...

Mr.Conley said:
That's why they need to divide the kids up by ability as soon as possible.

It'll never happen. Holding back the brightest americans by tethering them to the stupidest is the NWO tactic. It will not end anytime soon.

rtwngAvngr said:
It'll never happen. Holding back the brightest americans by tethering them to the stupidest is the NWO tactic. It will not end anytime soon.

I currently work for our local school district, and I can tell you for certain that the interest, resources and money are overwhelmingly being thrown at what they like to call "bridging the gap". This is a euphemism for bringing up minority test scores to be more in line with, and at the expense of, "majority" test scores. In fact, the Superintendent regularly tells the newspapers that this is his #1 goal for the entire district. No one seems to care about challenging the achievers, or raising their scores even higher to make them competitive with other districts.

Abbey Normal said:
I currently work for our local school district, and I can tell you for certain that the interest, resources and money are overwhelmingly being thrown at what they like to call "bridging the gap". This is a euphemism for bringing up minority test scores to be more in line with, and at the expense of, "majority" test scores. In fact, the Superintendent regularly tells the newspapers that this is his #1 goal for the entire district. No one seems to care about challenging the achievers, or raising their scores even higher to make them competitive with other districts.
I've was lucky in choosing school districts with very good gifted/accelerated programs. However, things took a turn for the worse, when it was decided that any student that wished 'a challenge' could sign up, signing a waiver that they understood the problem that would come to the GPA, if they failed to earn a 'C' or above.

The kids that were not recommended for AP/honors were mostly forced into the classes by their by their parents. As a teacher I can tell you that you DO NOT want a significant number of students to fall below 70%. Sooo, the higher achieving students, still were being slowed down by those that couldn't or wouldn't grasp the material quickly.

I agree that schools should track, at least by 3rd grade. Gifted should be homogenous, as should those that fall below a certain level. The 'great middle average' could also be tracked by subject, and *gasp* by work ethic. Meaning that a 3rd or 4th grader, that works really hard may well end up in honors/ap by high school. By 6th grade, they can be doing the same math series as 'gifted' but usually at a slower pace, with less 'depth'/exploration.

Abbey Normal said:
I think MORONS are in charge everywhere, the local school board here destroyed a good system, in the name of "Economic social diversity".

Abbey Normal said:

I mourn the death of america.

Forum List

Back