If everybody agrees abortion is bad, why is Pro-life so unpopular?

Discussion in 'Religion and Ethics' started by chrismac, Dec 24, 2008.

1. chrismac

chrismac Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +10
    I'll admit it: I'm pro-life. I hate the idea and practice of abortion. I guess I mostly hate it being used as a tool of convenience, but I think it's all around an unethical practice.

I'm not so much against it being used by rape victims, women whose lives are at risk, fetal health, incest, or minor children. I understand those are tough circumstances.

I could be wrong, but I think most people who claim to be pro-life aren't against it based on those instances. We understand they're extenuating circumstances. My problem with the pro-choice attitude is that I don't understand how the decision to have sex is any less of a choice than having an abortion. I feel like, unless you're a victim of rape, you chose to risk pregnancy. So, social reasons for abortion ring hollow when you knowingly put yourself in an unstable situation.

As for the thread title, it's like, people on both sides will agree abortion is a problem, and we need to diminish the number of abortions. Well, if that's the case, why is it pro-lifers are so antagonized because we want to, gasp, diminish the number of abortions?

I think to change anything, you have to change your outlook first. If you take the attitude that it's the woman's right to choose, and you can't bring yourself to stand in her way, that's fine. But then don't try to make yourself feel better by saying you want the number of abortions to go down. It's disingenuous.

2. Cecilie1200

Cecilie1200 Gold Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +7,052
    I'm a little curious where you got the idea that the pro-life position and the people who hold it are "so unpopular". Admittedly, they're unpopular with their political and ideological opponents, but that's sort of expected.

3. Dante

Dante On leave Supporting Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +6,054
    Women have been having abortions forever. sex involves emotions which can and do often rule out the kind of decision making about choices that you are speaking of. I'd bet most women do not purposefully put themselves into a position where they will have to deal with pregnancy.

you are mischaracterizing what it is pro-lifers are about.

and I hardly ever trust anyone who's reasons hide behind 'the children'

It is NOT disingenuous to want fewer abortions yet believe in a woman's right to choose. your whole post is either disingenuous or ignorant. what is it?

• Thank You! Thank You! x 2
  4. Dante

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +6,054
    prolifers are annoying as they are the mrs. kravitch's of the neighborhood. they want to force other people into making a life choice that is NONE of their business, they are butting into other people's*personal lives with the excuse that it is for 'the unborn'

yeah, so concerned with the unborn while there is enough suffering going on with the born.

and spare me the innocent bs. no brain stem, no cigar. abortion sucks, but so does amputation

5. KittenKoder

KittenKoder Senior Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +1,714
    Again, people ignore the rainbow to complain about the rain. No one likes to be reminded of all the colors in any stance, they only see extremes (black and white). That's where almost the entire debate falls into those violent protests on both sides (mostly from the extreme pro-lifers who wind up not only killing the unborn but also the doctors and mothers with their violence ... kinda stupid).

6. Silence

Silence wanna lick?

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +457
    I think what I see you saying is that it's only the Pro-lifer's who want to reduce the number of abortions but not the pro-choicers, is that right?

Nope, I've never heard one pro-life politician say that the goal should be to reduce the number of abortions by reducing the number of unwanted pregnancies.... that's a pro-choice stance.....education and contraception to reduce pregnancy....whereas most pro-life politicans believe in abstaince only education and do not believe in providing contraception on the government dime.

Most Pro-Lifers don't want to "diminish" the number of abortions....they want to eliminate them altogether, with no exceptions. They want abortion outlawed and they want to force women back to the time when they either had to have the baby or procure a back alley abortion, which was unsafe and dangerous.

7. eots

eots no fly list

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +2,606
    why would pro choice want to diminish some thing that is not wrong in their eyes ?
    why would people or companies with share holders want to diminish their source of revenue...this would make no sense

8. Cecilie1200

Cecilie1200 Gold Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +7,052
    What part of "I expect their political opponents not to like them" made you think I was hungering after an explanation of WHY their political opponents don't like them? Where did I say, "Gosh, I really can't understand why a bunch of people with a morally indefensible position predicated mostly on their desire to be selfish don't like me, I so desperately want them to like me, I hope one of them explains so that I can fix myself and earn their good opinion"?

Spare ME. The day a twit like you DOES like me and approve of me, I'll know that I've really screwed up. I already knew where you were coming from before you started spewing, and please believe that none of this self-righteous tripe makes me spit on it any less.

9. Dante

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +6,054
    oh the drama! you really ought to get your ass over to Hollywood.

It is impossible for my position to be selfish as I am a man and as a man will NEVER have to make and live with the decision to have an abortion. Even the idea of contemplating that one spins my head.

So I guess your rant is just about you saying "Gosh, I really can't understand why a bunch of people would think I'm immature and childish in my outlook on life, I so desperately want them to dislike me, so I can validate my world view."

Spit? How truly ignorant of you---and childish. Why don't you take a chill pill and take a walk....

. a long walk...

. off of a short pier.

Merry Christmas you angry little fucker.

;/O

lighten up francis. If you think life is hard now, with your attitude you are in for one rude awakening

Last edited: Dec 24, 2008
  10. Shogun

Shogun Free: Mudholes Stomped

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +2,260
    My answer to the original question is because when forded to choose between a life or personal choice this society has picked post-fertilized choice. The fetal life campaign is not working. pro-lifers should hit on the fact that they too are FOR choice: the pre-fertalization choice to control the possibility of pregnancy. It moves the concept of choice to apply in a preventive role than an irresponsible role. That, and I'd focus on the genetic realities of distinct human beings while, again, deflating the idea that being pro-life is the antithesis of being pro-choice.