if being offended by someone speaking a foreign language is racist, or

I think anyone who wants a decent job/education here, would be well advised to learn English. On the other hand, most of our forefathers did not come here knowing English, mine did as they were from UK, but most didn't.

That's because the English language is spoken by the majority of the United States and it makes sense for them to learn English as quickly as they can but to discriminate against them because they have not yet learned English is simply unacceptable. Almost every other country with a major English speaking population also finds that English is spoken frequently. The second language of most non-English speaking countries is English. You go to Germany as a tourist and they will speak English to you. If you go to Russia, China or anywhere else you will find that they will be able to speak English with you. They do so because they recognize that English is an useful language to speak. Of course they get upset when Americans come to their country and refuse to even try speaking their language and demand that they speak English to them, but this isn't what Spanish speakers are doing in this country. They are simply speaking their native language while trying to learn English at the same time. It shows the bigotry of those who get upset over this (i.e., it was true of every immigrant group and these people have decided to ignore history because it doesn't support their claim that these groups refuse to assimilate).

Problem with the flood we've had in the past 30 years, the immigrants do not feel compelled to learn the language, so much of their environment is Spanish friendly. That to me is not a good thing, not because they shouldn't have access to news and such, but because they can't rise socioeconomically. Keep the language at home and gatherings, but learn the language.

What you have to understand which I think you fail to understand is that every immigrant group was never truly successful at learning the language during the first generation and they preferred to speak their native tongue whenever possible. Almost every big city had areas where no English was spoken and there were entire towns where the street names were not even in English. This wasn't a bad thing. Now, in El Cenizo, Texas the City Council conducts its meetings in Spanish because they understand that the people of the city were predominately Spanish speaking. Some people may have a problem with this but the reality remains that it is only natural for them to do so.

On the other hand, I don't think a parent speaking to a child in native language in the store equates with not learning English. They could be here legally and just arrived. More likely, the child knows English fine, but parent is more comfortable with home language and wants the child to know both.

That's has been the case since this country was started and every immigrant group has spoken their native language during the first generation and the second generation are the ones who completely assimilate while retaining their cultural heritage. This is good for the country and for our society.

agreed, and when i say culture, i dont mean, dont be a jew, a christian, a mexican, I mean, be an american first, everything else second.

I am not even an American first. I put God first, my family second and then my country comes in dead last. If I had to pick between the traditions of my family and those of my country I will choose to go with the traditions of my family. This is something that every Mexican American, Canadian American, and French American understands.They understand the need to retain their culture and to put it first. You seem to imply that they should not do so. The difference is that putting these things first is not putting your new country second to your previous country. The mere fact that you left your original country to come to the United States shows that you put this country before that one.

You can have your quinsenta (the girl becoming a woman at 16), your traditions, whatever they are relative to your culture, cuban, iranian, whatever, but be a proud american first, not iranian-american, not israeli-american, american-american, or american-iranian, american-cuban, american-mexican.

And this is where you are mistaken. If these people are to retain their heritage and their culture they must be Iranian American, Cuban American, Israeli American, French American, Spanish American, Mexican American, Russian American and so on. Anything less then this will cause them to lose their heritage within the first or second generation and then future generations will spend money, time and resources trying to reconnect to their past by doing genealogy and never truly gaining back what they had lost.

Put this country first. You dont have to abandon your language, but if you with people who dont speak your language, speak english.

That's simply nonsense. There is not a single country in the world where that is the case when it comes to Americans. We go there, and we demand that they speak English to us and then when they get angry with us we think them rude and arrogant. Why do you think Americans consider the people of Quebec, Canada arrogant? Why do you hear Americans who have been to France complain about how arrogant the French are for wanting us to at least try to speak French. I do not know of a single Mexican American who does not try to speak English to others. There is none that walks up to a stranger in a store and say: "Fucking talk Spanish to me or else."

if your in a private setting, with people who speak hebrew, or spanish, fine.

Except, they don't have to relegate their language to a private venue. If they want to speak Hebrew in public with people who want to speak Hebrew with them then they have the right to do so. As for the government and other businesses. It only makes sense for them to speak the native language of a person so they can understand. You don't tell a deaf person: Speak English and not American Sign in public, if you are in a private setting, with people who sign, fine." :eusa_boohoo:

Moderation is good, but that comes from us arguing :p

it is government job to protect us from terrorists, not from ourselves.

Unless you have a mental or physical disability, government owes your nothing. In other words, unless you truly need a safety net, or help, you are not entitled to it, breathing alone does not qualify you for help.

:p

Your statement is inherently false and the reason is simple. You contribute to the government in the form of taxes, and the government uses your money to do the things they want to do and you can expect some benefit in return and a gurantee that if you continue to pay your taxes, work and do what you need to do to get ahead in life that if something bad should happen to cause you to lose everything the government will privde a net to catch you and from which you can return to where you were before through your own hard work. Every person has the right to a safety net because without it our society will fall apart. You say, "unless you have a mental or physical disability, government owes you nothing" but why don't you continue on with this statement and say, "unless you have a mental or physical disability, you owe the government everything they say you owe them."

Good, it shows some damn honesty on his part. After reading his posts I started to respect him even though I disagree with him. It shows that he has the fucking balls necessary to speak his damn mind without caring about what others thought of him. He's right for telling jackasses to suck his damn cock if they don't like what he has to say. Blah, blah, blah and blah. :eusa_boohoo:

No he was croosing the line into a state of mouth frothing hysteria and the usual gutter language you pollute the board with

President Felipe Calderón of Mexico has announced that Mexico will not participate in the next Summer Olympics. He said that, "Anyone who can run, jump, or swim has already left the country."

Also if the US builds the fence, Mexico will lose all it's pole vaulters to America

Now, the government is training people in the sport of tunnel swimming

New Topics

Forum List

Back