If bankrupting businesses is bad...why do corporations do it to each other so often?

One answer, efficiencies of the market place coupled with consumer demand for lower prices.

Competition between two companies on equal footing in a free market is a whole lot different than a government rigging the game in favor of one of those businesses, or worse yet, purposefully hoping to put entire industries out of business.

Yeah! - Like when Walmart rolls in & demands they pay no or lower city, county, state & federal taxes that their smaller competitors must pay. Costing us taxpayers half a million dollars per Walmart store on average. Then they pay their workers lower than poverty wages so the taxpayers must pay another half a million dollars per Walmart store on average to support their workers. Why do you want to use your taxes to subsidize walmart so they can run you out of business????????

Wal-Mart is on the Government dole raising my taxes!!! Every Wal-Mart store is costing tax payers about a million dollars. They have 9,000 stores in the USA costing us tax payers $9 Billion a year! Walmart makes $16 Billion in profits a year & cry about paying taxes & evade taxes with loopholes. Walmart can pay the $9 billion they are costing us tax payers without having to raise any prices in their stores. It's time they paid their own way just like I have to!

BTW - Wal-Mart is no longer the biggest bloodsucking big box retailer on the government dole. I use them as an example because info on them was easiest to find.

LOL

Libtards are cute when they meme.

Competition between two companies on equal footing in a free market is a whole lot different than a government rigging the game in favor of one of those businesses, or worse yet, purposefully hoping to put entire industries out of business.

Yeah! - Like when Walmart rolls in & demands they pay no or lower city, county, state & federal taxes that their smaller competitors must pay. Costing us taxpayers half a million dollars per Walmart store on average. Then they pay their workers lower than poverty wages so the taxpayers must pay another half a million dollars per Walmart store on average to support their workers. Why do you want to use your taxes to subsidize walmart so they can run you out of business????????

Wal-Mart is on the Government dole raising my taxes!!! Every Wal-Mart store is costing tax payers about a million dollars. They have 9,000 stores in the USA costing us tax payers $9 Billion a year! Walmart makes $16 Billion in profits a year & cry about paying taxes & evade taxes with loopholes. Walmart can pay the $9 billion they are costing us tax payers without having to raise any prices in their stores. It's time they paid their own way just like I have to!

BTW - Wal-Mart is no longer the biggest bloodsucking big box retailer on the government dole. I use them as an example because info on them was easiest to find.

So if they are so vile and evil then how is it that your elected officials welcome them with open arms? Is it jobs and economic development or some conspiracy. Must be Bush's or the GOP's fault right?

Yep. Just the exact type of responses I was expecting:

"What a retard"
"Thats different"
"Brain dead"
"Obama lover"

But no logic on why its GOOD for corporations to put each other out of business. Hey, our govt is controlled by big business anyway. So...govt is really just a competing company with a "govt" logo slapped on it. And the Govt's "shareholders" are the takers.

Now...any truly good, in depth responses for a real debate? Or more kindergarten insults?

What's to debate? The premise is mindless drivel. Companies that can't compete in the markets fail. That's the way it works. Government saddling business with bureaucratic largess to the point they can't operate is quite another.

You need an econ 101 class bub. Hell, a home-ec class would be something.

Im not talking about a shitty company that is gonna fail all on it's own. Im talking about hostile corporate actions that are meant to harm other companies. I, for one, like Wal-Mart. But, hate to see when one comes in and crushes so many other businesses. Two of them in areas I grew up (Gaffney, SC and Boiling Springs, SC) are small towns that had lots of mom and pop spots. Wal-Mart came in and crushed them. Local gas and grocery stores that had done fine for 50-100 years, and when Wal-Mart shows up, they go out of business. Had Wal-Mart not came, they'd still be open. Was a store in Gaffney, SC or BSprings, SC gonna make/break Wal-Mart? No. Of course not.

But thats an example. There are millions more examples of hostile corporate moves that harm other companies, some unintentional, some intentional.

Just saying...if hurting a business is BAD, it should always be bad. Right?

That's another thing, and I get it. That's why I don't shop at Wal Mart except in rare instances. I shop at a local grocery store here that has been in business since the 40's. I shop at the local hardware store when I can... more because Home Depot sucks. If I need 3 hex screws, they have 2. Plus I can get out of the local hardware store in minutes usually.

We dine local too.

What's to debate? The premise is mindless drivel. Companies that can't compete in the markets fail. That's the way it works. Government saddling business with bureaucratic largess to the point they can't operate is quite another.

Im not talking about a shitty company that is gonna fail all on it's own. Im talking about hostile corporate actions that are meant to harm other companies. I, for one, like Wal-Mart. But, hate to see when one comes in and crushes so many other businesses. Two of them in areas I grew up (Gaffney, SC and Boiling Springs, SC) are small towns that had lots of mom and pop spots. Wal-Mart came in and crushed them. Local gas and grocery stores that had done fine for 50-100 years, and when Wal-Mart shows up, they go out of business. Had Wal-Mart not came, they'd still be open. Was a store in Gaffney, SC or BSprings, SC gonna make/break Wal-Mart? No. Of course not.

But thats an example. There are millions more examples of hostile corporate moves that harm other companies, some unintentional, some intentional.

That's another thing, and I get it. That's why I don't shop at Wal Mart except in rare instances. I shop at a local grocery store here that has been in business since the 40's. I shop at the local hardware store when I can... more because Home Depot sucks. If I need 3 hex screws, they have 2. Plus I can get out of the local hardware store in minutes usually.

We dine local too.

Thats a fair take on it. I applaud you for spending some money local!

Yeah! - Like when Walmart rolls in & demands they pay no or lower city, county, state & federal taxes that their smaller competitors must pay. Costing us taxpayers half a million dollars per Walmart store on average.

Guess you missed the whole "on equal footing in a free market" part. Wal-Mart has the right to ask for whatever they want: no one is obligated to give it to them. If you're not happy with your elected officials giving them tax breaks then vote for someone else.

Then they pay their workers lower than poverty wages so the taxpayers must pay another half a million dollars per Walmart store on average to support their workers. Why do you want to use your taxes to subsidize walmart so they can run you out of business????????

That's cute. Putting words in my mouth. Nice work.

I don't want to see Wal-Mart get any tax breaks. I want to see them compete like any other business would on the same footing.

Paying their worker's poverty wages? Is Wal-Mart not bound by federal minimum wage laws?

Wal-Mart is on the Government dole raising my taxes!!! Every Wal-Mart store is costing tax payers about a million dollars.

Then don't shop there and vote for someone else.

Every Wal-Mart store is costing tax payers about a million dollars. They have 9,000 stores in the USA costing us tax payers $9 Billion a year! Walmart makes $16 Billion in profits a year & cry about paying taxes & evade taxes with loopholes. Walmart can pay the $9 billion they are costing us tax payers without having to raise any prices in their stores. It's time they paid their own way just like I have to!

Care to link to where you're getting this from? Otherwise, forgive me for not taking you seriously.

Last edited:

We dine local too.

Thats a fair take on it. I applaud you for spending some money local!

Thanks. We used to have many great local dept. and other stores here.. Maison Blanche, D.H. Holmes, Katz & Bestholf... all gone. It is sad.... but the Wal Mart model seems to work for people. To me, Wal Mart is like a human experiment gone horribly wrong.. it's a freak show.

Just a quick question, I expect some very...um...entertaining responses to. If its so bad and awful to bankrupt or hurt a business...like they say Obama's reelection is gonna do.......then why is it that the corporate world does that to other businesses all the time??

Huge corporations seek to crush small businesses that may grow to compete with them. Wal-Mart crushes mom and pop stores. Wal-Mart doesn't need that extra profit in some small town, but they're coming anyway. Big corporations seek to put each other out of business also. They try to, and celebrate, hurting their fellow American companies at any cost. Will their own company survive with the competition surviving also? Sure. But they all try to kill each other off anyway.

So...how dare those soulless creatures in suits talk shit about a policy that may "harm" their business, while they've been trying for decades to KILL someone else's business?

Fuck 'em. Karma sucks.

When a corporation like Wal Mart puts a mom and pop out of business, the customer invariably wins. The entire community invariably wins. Instead of mom, pop and a helper, over 100 people in that community now have jobs. Customers have access to better merchandise, more variety.

Companies are put out of business by bigger companies for all kinds of reasons, usually because the take over company has a better business model, offers better products to the consumer, has read the future demand better. The government puts companies out of business to create dependency among the people who used to work there. There is no benefit to anyone. It's just a vacancy.

So...

Im seeing some say that taking up more "market share" is natural. Human greed, right? And the shareholders of the govt want more 'market share". Its natural guys, remember?

None of you should be shocked. Humans are greedy, regardless of what sector they are in. They'll use whatever legal tools are at their disposal to get more "market share". Its human nature.

The government doesn't produce anything. It has no products. The government takes for the sole purpose of redistribution. There is no market for the government to share in. In order for one business to put another out of business they have to do something differently. Offer a better product or service. That's how to get market share. I've put businesses out of business before. Those are the legal tools to use. Should the customer be deprived of a better choice because to offer that better choice is to be greedy?

If I have a restaurant that's the only restaurant on this side of town, I'm not a good cook, and I don't keep it none to clean. You open a restaurant across the street, you are an excellent cook and keep the premises spotless, not only that, but you invested in nice decor and hired experienced servers is it bad that you get the market share and put me out of business? Are you greedy if you do that? The human nature is in the customer, to go where the food is good, the place clean, the environment pleasant and the people nice. That's human nature of the kind that makes fortunes.

My husband bought businesses, built them up and sold them. Sometimes he bought the same business several times as the market share was taken by "the greedy" that offered more or better. You just don't know anything about what makes a business successful.

Just a quick question, I expect some very...um...entertaining responses to. If its so bad and awful to bankrupt or hurt a business...like they say Obama's reelection is gonna do.......then why is it that the corporate world does that to other businesses all the time??

Huge corporations seek to crush small businesses that may grow to compete with them. Wal-Mart crushes mom and pop stores. Wal-Mart doesn't need that extra profit in some small town, but they're coming anyway. Big corporations seek to put each other out of business also. They try to, and celebrate, hurting their fellow American companies at any cost. Will their own company survive with the competition surviving also? Sure. But they all try to kill each other off anyway.

So...how dare those soulless creatures in suits talk shit about a policy that may "harm" their business, while they've been trying for decades to KILL someone else's business?

Fuck 'em. Karma sucks.

Terrible, terrible post. Competition between two companies on equal footing in a free market is a whole lot different than a government rigging the game in favor of one of those businesses, or worse yet, purposefully hoping to put entire industries out of business.

Like this statement???
a) coal companies facing “a regulatory environment that’s aggressively aimed at constraining the use of coal.”
b) Obama says: "if somebody wants to build coal utility plant it’s just that it will bankrupt them,!"
c) And he went on to say: “Under my plan....electricity rates would necessarily skyrocket"

Fuck 'em. Karma sucks.

Who said bankrupting businesses is bad? As I recall, it was the Democrats that opposed letting the banks and Detroit go bankrupt, the Republicans thought it would be good.

What is bad are all the government regulations that make it harder for new businesses, this forces the government to compensate for the lack of innovation by propping up old businesses that should fail to make room for the new ones.

Greed for the unearned has certainly captured the hearts of welfare dependent parasites..........They is owed !!!!!

Yep. Just the exact type of responses I was expecting:

"What a retard"
"Thats different"
"Brain dead"
"Obama lover"

But no logic on why its GOOD for corporations to put each other out of business. Hey, our govt is controlled by big business anyway. So...govt is really just a competing company with a "govt" logo slapped on it. And the Govt's "shareholders" are the takers.

Now...any truly good, in depth responses for a real debate? Or more kindergarten insults?

WalMart did not put mom n pop businesses out of business. Their customers did. Their customers compared the two offerings and chose WalMart. Had MomNPop been able to compete with WalMart they'd still be in business. Don't blame WalMart. Blame the customers.

Forum List

Back