If and when SCOTUS throws out all or part of HCA who will you blame?

Who will be to blame if HCA is thrown out?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Uh, yeah it was. The following document comes from The Heritage Foundation. Have you heard of them? Republican think tank?

1989 Assuring Affordable Health Care for All Americans

Do you have something, from an earlier date, that shows the mandate being anyone else's idea?

Heritage is not the GOP.
Fail.

Yeah? Lotta liberals and Democrats in The Heritage Foundation is there?

The Heritage Foundation is an American conservative think tank based in Washington, D.C. Heritage's stated mission is to "formulate and promote conservative public policies based on the principles of free enterprise, limited government, individual freedom, traditional American values, and a strong national defense".

No, I'd say not.

So there is no mention of the GOP in their mission sstatement. Nor are all Republicans conservatives.
Fail. Twice.

How is a public 'option' unconstitutional?
You can't have a public option without it being supported by forcing people to contribute money to the system.

Got anything to back that up or are you pulling shit out of your ass?

Yes, Obamacare. Why do you think they included the mandate? It is impossible to coerce people into an insurance system without coercing the people who least need health insurance. The alternative is skyrocketing costs and insolvency.

I don't what? I am asking you a question I am not saying one way or the other.

The 9th and 10th amendment are part of the constitution aren't they? So what are there purpose How would they be used?

Are you saying the 9th and 10th amendments are not part of the Constitution?

You don't know the 9th and 10th are part of the Constitution?
Did I say they weren't?
Well are they? What are their usage, and how would they be applied?

Well jake since the 9th and 10th amendments were written into the Constitution via the bill of rights what are the usage of those amendments surely they have a purpose. How would they be applied?

You can't have a public option without it being supported by forcing people to contribute money to the system.

How would it be funded?

How would what be funded? People paying for their own insurance? The people would fund it by purchasing insurance. Either from private companies or through the option to purchase it from the government.

Yes, Obamacare. Why do you think they included the mandate? It is impossible to coerce people into an insurance system without coercing the people who least need health insurance. The alternative is skyrocketing costs and insolvency.

Next time try answering the question I asked.

FAIL

FAIL

I did.
You fail.
You're just racking them up today. Take your stupid pill this morning?

FAIL

The question was clearly answered. Go look at the Heritage suggested mandate for more info.

FAIL

I did.
You fail.
You're just racking them up today. Take your stupid pill this morning?

He takes a daily dose...

You'll make him cry, though...

FAIL

The question was clearly answered. Go look at the Heritage suggested mandate for more info.

Oh I know, it just wasn't answered by Rabbi.

You don't know the 9th and 10th are part of the Constitution?
Did I say they weren't?
Well are they? What are their usage, and how would they be applied?

Well jake since the 9th and 10th amendments were written into the Constitution via the bill of rights what are the usage of those amendments surely they have a purpose. How would they be applied?
Article [IX.]
The enumeration in the Constitution, of certain rights, shall not be construed to deny or disparage others retained by the people.

Article [X.]
The powers not delegated to the United States by the Constitution, nor prohibited by it to the States, are reserved to the States respectively, or to the people.

Article I - US Constitution
Section. 8.
The Congress shall have Power To lay and collect Taxes, Duties, Imposts and Excises, to pay the Debts and provide for the common Defence and general Welfare of the United States; but all Duties, Imposts and Excises shall be uniform throughout the United States;

Legal Challenges to the Affordable Care Act

Legal Challenges to the Affordable Care Act

The focus of the Affordable Care Act cases has been on how to characterize the decision not to purchase insurance coverage. The government argues that the healthcare market is unique in that no one can permanently “opt out” of the market. The question comes down to how an individual decides to pay for the expenses that will inevitably be incurred in that market: through health insurance, out-of-pocket payment, or uncompensated care that is funded by third parties through cost-shifting in the healthcare market.

The three judges who have upheld the constitutionality of the individual mandate agree. Individuals who choose not to purchase health insurance are making an economic decision that, taken in the aggregate, has a substantial impact on the healthcare market. As Judge Steeh wrote, “far from ‘inactivity,’ by choosing to forgo insurance plaintiffs are making an economic decision to try to pay for health care services later, out of pocket, rather than now through the purchase of insurance, collectively shifting billions of dollars...onto other market participants” (see Thomas More Law Center v. Obama).

As an alternative to Commerce Clause authority for the individual mandate and penalty, the government also cites Congress’s broad powers “to lay and collect Taxes, Duties, Imposts and Excises, to... provide for the...general Welfare of the United States” (U.S. Constitution, Article 1, Sec. 8).

The government argues that the healthcare market is unique in that no one can permanently “opt out” of the market.

Individuals who choose not to purchase health insurance are making an economic decision

... provide for the...general Welfare of the United States”

not including the Commerce clause in this discussion does not preclude its use by the USSC.

The reasoning behind the Courts decision is what will make the above poll relevant or not ... as well as the relevancy of the Robert's Court itself judged by time and the presidents it may try to establish.

An activist court is clearly the correct response. It's also funny, because if the individual mandate is unconstitutional, it's pretty obvious the same thing applies to Republican plans to privatize Social Security and Medicare.

Since obama did not write the HCA, nor did he ever read it, there will be no shortage of people to blame.

Uh, yeah it was. The following document comes from The Heritage Foundation. Have you heard of them? Republican think tank?

1989 Assuring Affordable Health Care for All Americans

Do you have something, from an earlier date, that shows the mandate being anyone else's idea?

Heritage is not the GOP.
Fail.

When all else fails, play semantics games! Weeeeeeee!!

its called clarity of argument. And its a good thing in a debate.

Actually, the argument I have been making is that the claim that the individual mandate was an idea that originated with the GOP is untrue.

"Originated with" means that they were the first major political party to introduce a health reform package built on an individual mandate. That's indisputable fact, their 1993 legislation is still sitting on the internet at the Library of Congress website. The individual mandate was the right's answer to the left's preference for an employer mandate (as in the Clinton plan).

If that is your definition of "originated with", then ok. But it is not how I use the term.

What other meaning of the word is there in the context of legislative action? Congress doesn't generate policy ideas, they generate legislation. There's a whole other policy apparatus for generating policy itself--and, yes, that even includes hack organizations like Heritage.

I don't know of anyone who disputes that the individual mandate found its way into Congress and legislation via the GOP after being trumpeted by one of their policy farms. I don't know that this is an important fact, but it's a funny little quirk of recent political history.

Forum List

Back