If an electoral college tie.

jasonnfree

Gold Member
May 23, 2012
Things could get interesting. This means the house of reps would step in. Since it's majority is republican, they'd pick Romney for sure. But the Senate would pick Vice Prez. And they would pick Democrat for sure. The question is, could the Prez (Romney) fire Biden if he becomes a pain in the neck? We're sure living in interesting times. See link

An Electoral College tie – and what it would mean

Things could get interesting. This means the house of reps would step in. Since it's majority is republican, they'd pick Romney for sure. But the Senate would pick Vice Prez. And they would pick Democrat for sure. The question is, could the Prez (Romney) fire Biden if he becomes a pain in the neck? We're sure living in interesting times. See link

well let just say that congress will have to come together. romney would be president but in term of vp well we see.

it be messay afffair so let hope it does not come to that

I don't think so...the V.P. can resign, or be impeached, but not dismissed....he or she is an elected official...not an appointee that serves at the President's pleasure.

But, Romney could order the VP to leave Washington on a diplomatic mission...say to Antarctica...anytime there was a close vote in the Senate.

Under the Constitution, the Vice President is the next in line of succession for the presidency, the President of the Senate and presides over joint sessions of Congress, nothing more, so under this unlikely scenario, Romney could simply exclude Biden from the executive branch entirely. By current custom, the Vice President is treated as a part of the executive branch, but arguably the founding fathers saw him as more a part of the legislative branch of government.

Romney has already pulled ahead in EV votes so a tie isn't going to happen.

The VP could ignore that without the President being able to do squat about it.

The Veep has but one constitutional job: preside over the senate.

I don't think so...the V.P. can resign, or be impeached, but not dismissed....he or she is an elected official...not an appointee that serves at the President's pleasure.

But, Romney could order the VP to leave Washington on a diplomatic mission...say to Antarctica...anytime there was a close vote in the Senate.

That is Dick Cheney's erroneous assertion of which branch does the Veep belong.

Wrong then, and wrong now.

Under the Constitution, the Vice President is the next in line of succession for the presidency, the President of the Senate and presides over joint sessions of Congress, nothing more, so under this unlikely scenario, Romney could simply exclude Biden from the executive branch entirely. By current custom, the Vice President is treated as a part of the executive branch, but arguably the founding fathers saw him as more a part of the legislative branch of government.

Funny how the cocky and confident liberals went from "Obama's a lock!! He'll win all 57 states!" to "what if it's a tie?" ...:lol:
it seem like gop are cocky one now. many producing threads like romney won the election. which i understand as romney leading but still.

I am not sure the winner is going to reach 300 votes.

Pretty sure the President will get 300-320. The questions are about NH, NV, IA, CO. He doesn't get to 300 without winning Florida and Ohio of which I think he'll win both.

It's instructive to see where each man has "given up". Fairvote.org has a grid that shows the candidate travels but puts some weird stipulations onto what they call a "visit".

CNN offers the following:

Campaign Explorer - 2012 Election Center - Elections & Politics from CNN.com

If you go by it....

Romney hasn't bee in

WI since 8/12
MI since 8/24
PA since 9/28

Obviously, they've given up on these states; you can also track the spending by the campaigns (not PACs) in these states. PA is registering $0.00 for each. MI also a $0.00 for each. Romney is spending money in Wisconsin but is being out spent by Obama in the major areas. La Crosse and Wausau (sp?) are being inundated with Romney ads.

As for OH: Obama has nearly doubled the ad spending of Romney. Again, these are campaign ads, not PAC ads.

Suburban Cincinnati and southern Ohio will determine to whom the state's votes flow. Obama is spending 2.1 million more there than Romney. If I were the DNC, I'd stage some car crashes on every bridge from Kentucky to Ohio on Election day. You know Romney will be busing people in to vote for him (like Obama will do in WI from IL).

Florida is strange. According to the site, Romney has spent no money in northern Florida (Tallahasse/Panama City) but $2.6 in J'Ville. Both sides had spent heavily in south Florida but central I-4 corridor spending is surprisingly showing an Obama surge.

In both States, OH and FL, again according to the site's campaign spending, Romney is actually spending either the same amount or less than he did in September. :confused:

Funny how the cocky and confident liberals went from "Obama's a lock!! He'll win all 57 states!" to "what if it's a tie?" ...:lol:
it seem like gop are cocky one now. many producing threads like romney won the election. which i understand as romney leading but still.
Don't mistake resolve for cockiness, decker. I assure you that as GOP members, people like me are quite tied to keeping America a free Republic, and not a large central Fed Democrats want to keep the undeserved indentured to them through handouts. The same voters can become active when they realize the American dream is likeliest to fall on a hard worker than a mooch who makes a parasite of him or herself by voting for those who exploit the treasury for personal gain when they can give a pittance to moochers for votes, and then go for the gold for their own, and not other Americans. If you can't see this from the standpoint of the 34 failed businesses like Solyndra, who walked away with over seven billion dollars in cash from 100% guaranteed government loans, the majority of them donors to Democrats, and passing the largest tax hike on the face of the earth against the American middle class through Obamacare, then I really can't help you.

Oh, yes, the Obamacare tax hike is scheduled to begin both after the election is over and the next administration is in place a short time later. Only Obama doesn't play fair with receipts. For example he has no compunctions about raiding Medicare funds to support his sundry legislations, then turning around and touting what a failure the Republicans have made of the bankrupt system that he personally bankrupted. When the American taxpayer gets the bill for Obamacare out of their wages, in addition to their already average of $4,000 less per annum less in pay since Obama took office, they will have to pay that much more in tax that the Democrats lied about, assuring everyone with ears to hear that Obamacare would not raise taxes. The entire thing is a tax. All of it. And middle class income people will have to pay it, just like Social Security.

The DNC hides its scams until it is too late to do anything about it, as in after election time has passed and is forgotten.

Don't let Democrats get a free ride on the delayed tax-raising scam that Obamacare is in America. The money might go to other Democrat ventures as they arise, and not to the people who paid the Obamacare tax if Democrats win. Stop that dead in its tracks by voting Republican.

Last edited:

No, the President cannot fire the Vice President.

Jeezums.
What the fuck is wrong with our schools these days?

And Romney would win the House not because a majority of the House is Republican, but because a majority of the individual state delegations are Republican.

The VP also has power under the 25th amendment, though it requires a majority of the cabinet agree with him.

I would suspect in such a situation Romney would exclude Biden from any executive duties but Biden would probably then spend a lot more time at the Senate trying to influence things there. Maybe become the first VP to actually preside over the Senate on a regular basis.

Last edited:

No, the President cannot fire the Vice President.

Jeezums.
What the fuck is wrong with our schools these days?

And Romney would win the House not because a majority of the House is Republican, but because a majority of the individual state delegations are Republican.

Each State gets one vote to be sure, However doesn't the NEW Congress do the voting? As far as I can tell that hasn't happened yet ( LOL) and we won't know who has what till after the election.

Forum List

Back