if a member of congress

i think it would depend on what agency and what the spouse's role was and what gain, if any, the member of congress and/or his family would gain from the appointment.

what's on your mind?

• Banned
i think it would depend on what agency and what the spouse's role was and what gain, if any, the member of congress and/or his family would gain from the appointment.

what's on your mind?

actually, i misspoke. it wasn't a spouse, it was a significant other.

gretchen morgansen's new book on the financial meltdown is quite critical of barney frank and his relationship with herb moses vis a vis fannie and freddie.

i'm trying to decide whether or not to be outraged

what's on your mind?

gretchen morgansen's new book on the financial meltdown is quite critical of barney frank and his relationship with herb moses vis a vis fannie and freddie.

well, do you think it impaired his judgment in any way? do you think that reliationship contributed to the meltdown?

Well, if you are not outraged by Clarance Thomas and his wifey..then this should be no great shakes.

I do think it's inappropriate and great care should be exercised to insure no conflct of interests.

what's on your mind?

I happens all the time but it doesn't mean there is an advantage there. An opportunity, yes.

I'm not sure if this would be another example but when Bill was president and used Hillary as an unofficial advisor. She had a say and it came right to the edge, maybe stepping over the line at times.

Barney and his SO? His being such a lightning rod in politics and lifestyle, they're probably very careful.

We're talking politics tho.

Well, if you are not outraged by Clarance Thomas and his wifey..then this should be no great shakes.

I do think it's inappropriate and great care should be exercised to insure no conflct of interests.

Yeah those two are strange.

had their spouse hired by an agency over which the member had some influence, would you think that was appropriate?

Was the spouse or SO qualified for the job?

Did the member 'influence' the hiring?

I think we need to consider these on individual cases. It's unfair for a spouse or SO to be unable to take a job for which they are well qualified, just because they happen to be married to or in a relationship with a member of congress. However, if that member assisted their SO to get the job - that would be inappropriate.

had their spouse hired by an agency over which the member had some influence, would you think that was appropriate?

Par for the course with Democrats.

After all we had Hillary, an un-elected spouse, putting together Hillarycare in the 90s.

But what you told us about Barney Fwank may explain why he so stubbornly tried to stop any reform of Fannie Mae when Bush tried to reform it. Where did you get that info? Good grab!

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_MGT_cSi7Rs]YouTube - ‪Shocking Video Unearthed Democrats in their own words Covering up the Fannie Mae, Freddie Mac Scam that caused our Economic Crisis‬‏[/ame]

what's on your mind?

well, do you think it impaired his judgment in any way? do you think that reliationship contributed to the meltdown?

yes, i do think it impaired his judgment. i think it would impair just about anyone's judgment. as to whether it contributed to the meltdown, quien sabe?

i need to read the book

"Frank’s assistance in helping Moses land the job was first reported in a new book about the fiscal meltdown by Pulitzer Prize-winning New York Times [NYT] reporter Gretchen Morgensen.

In an interview Tuesday on WBUR’s “Fresh Air,” Morgensen said Frank “was very aggressive and really tough on those who were testifying in Congress about reining in Fannie Mae and Freddie Mac” during hearings after Moses was hired. She said Fannie Mae “rolled out the red carpet” for Moses as part of a strategy to curry favor with Frank and other members of the Financial Services Committee.

Morgensen also noted that members of the committee raked in tens of thousands in campaign donations from Fannie and Freddie execs, including Frank, who received $42,000 in contributions from 1989 through 2008"

Barney Frank knocked on his Fannie - BostonHerald.com

the book's title is "Reckless Endangerment"

yes, i do think it impaired his judgment. i think it would impair just about anyone's judgment. as to whether it contributed to the meltdown, quien sabe?

i need to read the book

fair enough. i have no opinion on this one yet. i know that when bill clinton was president he put hillary in charge of health care. i think that helped him lose congress two years into his term.

i also think that clarence thomas should have recused from Citizen's United because it benefitted his wife.

i need to read the book

I guess those for the this kind of behavior have never heard of the word NEPOTISM.

Why would anyone be outraged over Clarance Thomas and his wife? The attempts I've seen to show a conflict of interest are a stretch at best. has something new been found?

Forum List

Back