ied placers in afgh get owned

So our boys saved some lives from those asshats trying to kill them!

BRAVO! :clap2:

yes, they have some crazy accents so they might be British but either way they are on "our side" and it was an awesome shot & job

the worst part of the whole IED / mine thing is it doesn't just kill soliders and they don't go away when the soliders leave. they kill local children, regular civillians, etc for years and years until they are all blown up. in cambodia they placed so many mines decades after the war they are still clearing them and people are still dying from them.

Didn't like the laughter or the commentary. I liked the result though. One guy went way up and he came down like three seconds later.

Didn't like the laughter or the commentary. I liked the result though. One guy went way up and he came down like three seconds later.

I couldn't understand the commentary except that some person radioed in saying an IED blew up and they said it wasn't a bomb but them. I don't think that was really laughter, mostly excitement from killing people trying to kill them

the worst part of the whole IED / mine thing is it doesn't just kill soliders and they don't go away when the soliders leave. they kill local children, regular civillians, etc for years and years until they are all blown up. in cambodia they placed so many mines decades after the war they are still clearing them and people are still dying from them.

IEDs are remote detonated, not pressure detonated. I think they rarely, if ever, kill locals (unless that was the intended target).

IED teams place them and then watch them to detonate them. If the target doesn't show, they dig it up out of the ground and try again.

I couldn't understand the commentary except that some person radioed in saying an IED blew up and they said it wasn't a bomb but them. I don't think that was really laughter, mostly excitement from killing people trying to kill them

I imagine that was a bunch of Air Force guys flying the drone doing the laughing. The radio traffic was probably from the ground unit who were aware of what happened. It wasn't uncommon for IED teams to blow themselves up in the process of placing their mines.

I don't mind the laughter. Those guys are trying to kill soldiers. Fuck them.

This is a fact. When I went to Laos to see the "Plain of Jars" we were not allowed to stray off the course marked out due to the plethora of live anti-personnel mines still active in the area.
I held Princess Diana in the highest regard for what she was trying to accomplish there and in many other countries with her campaign to eliminate land mines.

• Thanks
Reactions: blu

IEDs are remote detonated, not pressure detonated. I think they rarely, if ever, kill locals (unless that was the intended target).

IED teams place them and then watch them to detonate them. If the target doesn't show, they dig it up out of the ground and try again.

This is not always the case...in fact some are pressure detonated and infrared detonated.

This is not always the case...in fact some are pressure detonated and infrared detonated.

That wasn't the practice in our AO. They came up with some ingenious tricks. I know they used a pressure detonated system, but it had to be electronically armed first.

At any rate, I agree with the larger point. IEDs are bad news for all involved parties. Even if they are remote detonated, I don't think many people would be comfortable with the fact that they are driving over a couple of double stacked TC-6 anti-tank mines.

There was enough ordinance laying around in Afghanistan to spare. That's what was dangerous. Farmers would come to our base after plowing up mines from the soviet era and we'd generously pay them and send the engineers to blow them. Even after being in the ground for years and years they had all the explosive punch that they had when they were buried.

I understand Soviet mines were usually camouflaged as something else. Children's toys and the like.

I have no brief for the jerkasses doing this. I have to admit to feeling a bit of glee myself. But the laughter seemed out of place. But I have never been in that place. I think if I were there I would be feeling pretty joyful as well.

The good thing about this is there will be less IEDs in the region. fewer mine layers means fewer mines.

I understand Soviet mines were usually camouflaged as something else. Children's toys and the like.

I have no brief for the jerkasses doing this. I have to admit to feeling a bit of glee myself. But the laughter seemed out of place. But I have never been in that place. I think if I were there I would be feeling pretty joyful as well.

The good thing about this is there will be less IEDs in the region. fewer mine layers means fewer mines.

Believe me, if you'd ever been IED'd, you'd feel differently.

The Soviets used to disguise cluster bombs as toys. They did a lot of other devious shit too. We aren't perfect, but our command climate at least tries to act in good faith.

That is why the ROE, that the right loves to hate, is necessary.

The Soviet mines weren't intentionally disguised as kid's toys. The PFM-1 had the appearance of a butterfly and was mistaken as a toy. If you want to see mines intentionally designed to look like something they're not, just look to Palestinian terrorists and their doll bombs, salad dressing bottle bombs etc. Israelis are taught from an early age to NEVER touch anything seen or found on the streets.

:clap2:

They had a special on snipers yesterday on History Channel and how they would take out guys trying to set IEDs.

Forum List

Back