Ideological consistency: Obama/Libya, Bush/Iraq, Clinton/Kosovo

Discussion in 'Politics' started by bucs90, Mar 20, 2011.

1. bucs90

bucs90 Gold Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +19,210
    Ok. I have to have some help understanding this here. I'm not as "interrigent" as the common left wing college sophomore, so I must ask for help understanding this. From 2002-2008, we saw some of the most intense, disgusting, disrespectful behavior from our left wing trashing our former president. Nazi comparison, demands that he be arrested, claims of war for oil, illegal wars, lying to the public, just all around nasty rhetoric, pure hate.

So, what is the ideological consistency here?

Kosovo- A nation that didn't attack us, but horrible human crimes occurred. Clinton attacked.
    Iraq- A nation that didn't attack us, but horrible human crimes occurred. Bush attacked.
    Libya- A nation that didn't attack us, but horrible human crimes occurred. Obama attacked.
    Pakistan- A nation that didn't attack us, but harbored terrorist, Obama attacked.

Now, why is the hatred from the left only directed at one of the above? Am I missing something?

• Thank You! Thank You! x 1
  2. Late2TheParty

Late2TheParty Classical Liberal

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +32
    A lot of the criticism comes from libertarians and still comes from libertarians.

A lot of the nastiness comes from partisans, just as they attacked Clinton over an affair (but laid off Newt), attacked Bush over everything, and the same with Obama.

Are we to shed crocodile tears over Bush's treatment while ignoring Obama's (birth certificate, etc.) Who really cares.

3. skookerasbil

skookerasbil Gold Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +6,193
    Of course the Obama polls numbers are up today.............

What surprise:lol::lol::lol: As expected.......independents are loving this and responsible for the Obama bump. Meanwhile, the left..........with the core principle spine of a Hershey Bar become suddenly two faced when THEIR guy takes us to war. Obama hasnt lost a single vote this weekend from his base.

4. Toronado3800

Toronado3800 VIP Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +355
    This is a really interesting situation politically. At least Obama isn't falling in with any generic party line.

Sounds like we are hitting Libya harder than advertised. We will see what happens for limiting our involvement. I must say Clinton did limit his engagements in both Bosnia and Somalia. Although the "win at any cost even if it bankrupts us" fellas use this as a negative.

Even more scary is the Republican stance supporting the President's right to declare private wars. I would figure if another nation suddenly attacked us like we are attacking Libya it would be a declaration of war. Honest I thought you needed something from Congress to do this. Republicans obviously don't agree. Democrats I suppose are more liberal in their Constitutional interpretation and don't agree. Interesting. Wonder if any Republicans will pick on this and burn statues of Ronnie along with Obama.

5. bucs90

bucs90 Gold Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +19,210
    Goes to show.......the left will support anything from anyone so long as they identify themselves as a left winger.

If Obama announced tomorrow that he hates gay people and issued an executive order to ban gay marriage forever........lefties would say "Well at least he's addressing the issue!! Bush wouldnt!"

6. Toome

Toome Active Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +259
    Military operations have nothing to do with political ideologies. They have everything to do with policy. When negotiations and compromises aren't enough, you send in the shooters. Every US president has realized this.

The ramblings of those who think they understand political ideologies shouldn't be used as a political template. Reality is not so black and white.

7. GHook93

GHook93 Aristotle

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +4,927
    Get your facts on Kosovo. Kosovo was never a nation! Kosovo was the heartland of Serbia. The Muslim Albanians, Bosinians and other Muslims, streamed into the country and slowly but surely started to ethnically cleanse the country of the native Serbian population. What Clinton and the history books didn't tell you is well before Serbia responded Kosovo, the Muslims from mostly Albania were slaughtering and committing genocide on the Serbians in Serbian's heartland of Kosovo. Finally the Serbs said enough is enough and invaded to take back their homeland. And they did it with barbaric, merciless force!!! That is what really happened there!

Last edited: Mar 21, 2011
  8. hipeter924

hipeter924 Not a zombie yet

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +1,433

Clinton's supporters deny or otherwise ignore the atrocities against at least 500 civilians they committed in their Serbian bombing campaign.

Last edited by a moderator: Aug 19, 2014
  9. Midnight Marauder

Midnight Marauder BANNED

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +1,876
    The problem is you're lumping all of these together, not considering that each one has its specific details that make it unique from all the others.

That is the source of your confusion, you have over simplified it. Remember, President Obama told us all, "Avoid the simple answer." :lmao:

10. Londoner

Londoner Gold Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +1,704
    Allow me to make an aside about all the bullshit regarding humanitarian intervention (no matter who is selling it, Bush or Obama): the underlying reason for intervention, whether initiated by Left or Right, is not humanitarian but geopolitical, i.e., politically unstable regions wreak havoc on global markets. [I'm sure you understand that the American economy is tied to resource markets from very dangerous parts of the globe. Do you know what would happen if a terrorist nation shut down the Straight of Hormuz or if American clothing brands lost the kind of cheap sweatshop labor that comes from dangerous places? Indeed, next time you're in Walmart, please read the labels on the products in order to discover that many of them are made in dangerous 3rd world regions which are prone to instability. Whenever one of those regions becomes politically unstable, the US government flies in under the cloak of "saving people"]

Last edited: Mar 20, 2011