Identifying the post to which one is replying?

manifold

Diamond Member
Feb 19, 2008
your dreams
Is there an automatic way (without quoting) to identify the post (or poster) to which one is replying?

Address the poster or the post number. It's a lot easier to use the quote function.

It would be helpful if posters would remember to do that when not using the quote option. Unless a post immediately follows the one to which it is a reply, if there is no indication in the post, by quote or reference to post number or poster, it's not always obvious by context to whom the post is a reply.

• Banned
It would be helpful if posters would remember to do that when not using the quote option. Unless a post immediately follows the one to which it is a reply, if there is no indication in the post, by quote or reference to post number or poster, it's not always obvious by context what to whom the post is a reply.

Not to name names or anything...

ALLIE!

What is the problem with using the quote function? Oh I know, it's too easy to go back and figure out what was said, especially on really long threads.

Not sure if I understand your meaning but it's not always apparent from context to which post a person is replying.

Using the quote function allows another to keep backtracking. Without it, one has to find the specific post by reading through X number of pages.

Agreed. The problem is when people do not use the quote function or do not reference the post they are responding to by post number. If the context is ambiguous, then even backtracking doesn't help.

On another board I was on, the number of the post to which you were replying was automatically displayed above your post. No ambiguity in case you chose not to quote the post you were replying to.

On another board I was on, the number of the post to which you were replying was automatically displayed above your post. No ambiguity in case you chose not to quote the post you were replying to.

You obviously have to click on something to put that funtion into operation. Clicking on "quote" works just as easily.

Forum List

Back