Identifying Sock Puppets?

manifold

Diamond Member
Feb 19, 2008
your dreams
Registration Guidelines:
Individuals are allowed one account. Anyone found to be in violation risks having all accounts banned. We have several tools at our disposal to identify multis. We use them. You may think you can get away with it, but you can't. So don't.

1) Apart from checking IP Addresses, what other tools or methods are used to identify individuals who violate this rule?

2) How hard would it be for someone who knows what they are doing to make sure they have a different IP address for each different account?

1) Apart from checking IP Addresses, what other tools or methods are used to identify individuals who violate this rule?

2) How hard would it be for someone who knows what they are doing to make sure they have a different IP address for each different account?

Fishing for help?

• Banned
Fishing for help?

No. I'm a huuuuuuuuuuuuge fan of the rule personally. And I suspect a few people here are getting away with breaking it. I once posted at a board where sock puppetry was allowed and SOP. IMO, it changes the dynamic drastically, and not in a good way.

No. I'm a huuuuuuuuuuuuge fan of the rule personally. And I suspect a few people here are getting away with breaking it. I once posted at a board where sock puppetry was allowed and SOP. IMO, it changes the dynamic drastically, and not in a good way.

For once I am in total agreement with you.

Basically, one would have to have a different ISP for each ID. For the smarmy ones who think an office would work, if a number is one or two off ... I'm asking questions.

The program itself automatically bounces newly registered against existing members. I can also check manually.

If you have a specific accusation, feel free to PM with it. If not, I ask that you not post such an implication in a public forum.

Thanks,

Gunny

I believe there are a few programs you can use to anonymize your IP when surfing. I just recently started using a program called Peer Guardian 2. Mainly, because I D/L torrents and I'm tired of Comcast telling me I'm violating a law and that they "reserve the right to discontinue" my internet service. Go ahead, discontinue it. The only one who loses is YOU. I'll just get another provider.

Whether or not PG2 hides my IP address here, I have no idea. If it does, let me know so I can make multiple member accounts here and fuck with Manifold.

The posts on copyright infringement can be found in the Law and Justice System subforum under the thread titled "Copyright Infringement."

Real original, I know.:eusa_hand:

Forum List

Back