Identify this SHIP!

shipman

Rookie
Apr 1, 2011
Snapped this photo in Portland Oregon. it's docked at Swan Island. anybody want to venture a guess? Class? hull number what its used for. Maybe somebody even knows exactly what this ship is used for. it's driving me :cuckoo:

Attachments

• $204866_10150526770945093_798460092_17975398_7953581_o.jpg
    $204866_10150526770945093_798460092_17975398_7953581_o.jpg
    590 KB · Views: 136
MSC Ship Inventory - USNS Observation Island

She could be related to this MSC special mission ship.

Missile Range Instrumentation Ships - T-AGM

Description: Military Sealift Command operates two missile range instrumentation ships, USNS Observation Island (T-AGM 23) and USNS Invincible (T-AGM 24). Missile range instrumentation ships provide platforms for monitoring missile launches.

Features: USNS Observation Island operates worldwide, monitoring compliance with strategic arms treaties and supporting U.S. military weapons test programs. Observation Island carries an Air Force shipborne phased-array radar system for collecting data on missile tests. The ship is operated by Military Sealift Command for the U.S. Air Force Technical Applications Center at Patrick Air Force Base, Fla.
Invincible provides a platform for a dual-band radar developed by the U.S. Air Force to support data collection requirements on theater ballistic missiles.

It's much larger than that I looked at all of the navy records it has 2 satellite transceivers on the rear deck this ship is HUGE. I think I saw Pacific something or other on it couldn't read from there. might be a missile tracking ship of some sort...

It's much larger than that I looked at all of the navy records it has 2 satellite transceivers on the rear deck this ship is HUGE. I think I saw Pacific something or other on it couldn't read from there. might be a missile tracking ship of some sort...

Does it look like this...?

observationisland.jpg

USNS Observation Island is one of the two Missile Range Instrumentation Ships that are part of the 26 ships in Military Sealift Command's Special Mission Ships Program.

• Length: 564 feet
• Beam: 76 feet
• Draft: 28 feet, 7 inches
• Displacement: 17,015 long tons
• Speed: 20.0 knots
• Civilian: 66 mariners/34 sponsor personnel contract mariners
• Government-Owned/
Chartered: Government-owned

MSC Ship Inventory - USNS Observation Island

I retired from MSC a few years ago. I don't recognize this one as one of ours. Maybe the spooks own it.

I thought it was illegal to photograph naval ships. Espionage and all that. And to disseminate that information worldwide on a message board at that!!!

Just think the NSC is reading this read trying to figure out who Shipman is.

I thought it was illegal to photograph naval ships. Espionage and all that. And to disseminate that information worldwide on a message board at that!!!

:eusa_eh:

Military Sealift Command operates approximately 110 noncombatant, civilian-crewed ships that replenish U.S. Navy ships, conduct specialized missions, strategically preposition combat cargo at sea around the world and move military cargo and supplies used by deployed U.S. forces and coalition partners.

Military Sealift Command

US Navy Ships

:eusa_eh:

Military Sealift Command operates approximately 110 noncombatant, civilian-crewed ships that replenish U.S. Navy ships, conduct specialized missions, strategically preposition combat cargo at sea around the world and move military cargo and supplies used by deployed U.S. forces and coalition partners.

Military Sealift Command

US Navy Ships

Click around on that Navy site to see pics of various Navy ships...

Illegal? I don't think so. Raising red flags and looking to be investigated, I would give that option a 99.9% probability.

It looks like it has a bunch of balloons on it.

Probably keeps it from sinking if it hits an iceberg.

I spent April Fool's Day locked up with a bunch of teenagers (I teach high school). What a treat.

Forum List

Back