Ideas you wish someone with money would market

MaggieMae

Reality bits
Apr 3, 2009
Seems people, me included, are always thinking of something to improve everyone's lifestyle, but never have the "seed" money to get started.

The weekend in NE being hot and humid for May, I got in my car this morning and the windshield was all fogged up on the inside, and that got me thinking about all the winter mornings when the windshield gets fogged up regularly. It's a pain. You wipe it off with a cloth and it comes right back, leaving streaks, or you need to run the defrost instead of the heat.

Why hasn't someone figured out a way to install wipers INSIDE the car? They could, with the push of a button, rise from the edge of the dashboard, give a few swipes, then return to a resting position. I believe the auto manufacturers already have devised a way to encase a GPS system that can be raised only when needed. So why not interior windshield wipers?

Any other ideas anyone wants to share?

When I was a kid (keep in mind I am 46) I remember asking my parents why don't they make a device sorta like a garage door opener that will open/lock your car.
Also (no kidding) I remember when we bought our first house, I was using a screwdriver to put something together and I thought - why doesn't someone make a screwdriver like a ratchet set so you don't have to keep fumbling around putting it back into the screw head.

There have been others.

When I was a kid (keep in mind I am 46) I remember asking my parents why don't they make a device sorta like a garage door opener that will open/lock your car.
Also (no kidding) I remember when we bought our first house, I was using a screwdriver to put something together and I thought - why doesn't someone make a screwdriver like a ratchet set so you don't have to keep fumbling around putting it back into the screw head.

There have been others.

Makes you want to scream, I know. I had an idea several years ago that actually everyone thought was silly, but I even had my son the engineer do a schematic and took it to one of those "market your invention" places. It was for a plant umbrella that was portable and sturdy enough to use only when high winds or rain threatened to ruin your patio plants (which had happened to me). Of course that place wanted about $10,000 to get it going, so that was that. Less than two years later, voila! Plant umbrellas appeared in almost all the gadget catalogs.

There have been others.

Makes you want to scream, I know. I had an idea several years ago that actually everyone thought was silly, but I even had my son the engineer do a schematic and took it to one of those "market your invention" places. It was for a plant umbrella that was portable and sturdy enough to use only when high winds or rain threatened to ruin your patio plants (which had happened to me). Of course that place wanted about $10,000 to get it going, so that was that. Less than two years later, voila! Plant umbrellas appeared in almost all the gadget catalogs.

Should have put up the 10K. Sounds like you may have done well.

There have been others.

Should have put up the 10K. Sounds like you may have done well.

The only one who had that kind of money was my brother, and he thought it was silly. (Much later when I showed him one in a catalog, he just shrugged.) Ironically, my brother was able to borrow $10K from our father for an "invention" of his own which was a device to check the condition of buried gasoline tanks (i.e., rust) without ripping up the whole area. Although that idea was more sexy than mine, he went through that money in no time forming a partnership, building a prototype, then didn't have the funds to market it. Mine would have been much cheaper to just get put on some shopping network.

C'est la vie. The best laid plans.

Back when the kids were in diapers, I thought "Drypers" would be a catchy product name.
6 months later, there they were on store shelves. Shit, I could have at least copyrighted the name.

Ooh I said shit and diapers in the same paragraph. :D

I invented the internet, but Algore stole it from me.

Then I hate you. The Internet often is the bane of my existence. (Just kidding.) Now I have to get back to it; I'm almost finished.

Ketchup and Mustard in the same bottle.

On what? A dogburger? Ooh, that's awful. A burgerweiner?

I'd rather see a real invention that would warm up ketchup and mustard as soon as they come out of the frig. I hate a nice hot burger or dog suddenly gone cold because of the condiments. And I never remember to take them out of the frig an hour or so before use. Maybe microwaveable containers that would warm in 10 seconds or something.

Forum List

Back