Ideas you wish someone with money would market

Discussion in 'Science and Technology' started by MaggieMae, May 30, 2011.

1. MaggieMae

MaggieMae Reality bits

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +1,601
    Seems people, me included, are always thinking of something to improve everyone's lifestyle, but never have the "seed" money to get started.

The weekend in NE being hot and humid for May, I got in my car this morning and the windshield was all fogged up on the inside, and that got me thinking about all the winter mornings when the windshield gets fogged up regularly. It's a pain. You wipe it off with a cloth and it comes right back, leaving streaks, or you need to run the defrost instead of the heat.

Why hasn't someone figured out a way to install wipers INSIDE the car? They could, with the push of a button, rise from the edge of the dashboard, give a few swipes, then return to a resting position. I believe the auto manufacturers already have devised a way to encase a GPS system that can be raised only when needed. So why not interior windshield wipers?

Any other ideas anyone wants to share?

2. iamwhatiseem

iamwhatiseem Gold Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +6,128
    When I was a kid (keep in mind I am 46) I remember asking my parents why don't they make a device sorta like a garage door opener that will open/lock your car.
    Also (no kidding) I remember when we bought our first house, I was using a screwdriver to put something together and I thought - why doesn't someone make a screwdriver like a ratchet set so you don't have to keep fumbling around putting it back into the screw head.

There have been others.

3. MaggieMae

MaggieMae Reality bits

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +1,601
    Makes you want to scream, I know. I had an idea several years ago that actually everyone thought was silly, but I even had my son the engineer do a schematic and took it to one of those "market your invention" places. It was for a plant umbrella that was portable and sturdy enough to use only when high winds or rain threatened to ruin your patio plants (which had happened to me). Of course that place wanted about $10,000 to get it going, so that was that. Less than two years later, voila! Plant umbrellas appeared in almost all the gadget catalogs.

4. FA_Q2

FA_Q2 Gold Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +4,331
    Should have put up the 10K. Sounds like you may have done well.

5. MaggieMae

MaggieMae Reality bits

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +1,601
    The only one who had that kind of money was my brother, and he thought it was silly. (Much later when I showed him one in a catalog, he just shrugged.) Ironically, my brother was able to borrow $10K from our father for an "invention" of his own which was a device to check the condition of buried gasoline tanks (i.e., rust) without ripping up the whole area. Although that idea was more sexy than mine, he went through that money in no time forming a partnership, building a prototype, then didn't have the funds to market it. Mine would have been much cheaper to just get put on some shopping network.

C'est la vie. The best laid plans.

6. uscitizen

uscitizen Senior Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +4,807
    I invented the internet, but Algore stole it from me.

7. FuelRod

FuelRod Gold Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +924
    0% financing was my idea.

8. Mr. H.

Mr. H. Diamond Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +15,419
    Back when the kids were in diapers, I thought "Drypers" would be a catchy product name.
    6 months later, there they were on store shelves. Shit, I could have at least copyrighted the name.

Ooh I said shit and diapers in the same paragraph. :D

9. MaggieMae

MaggieMae Reality bits

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +1,601
    Then I hate you. The Internet often is the bane of my existence. (Just kidding.) Now I have to get back to it; I'm almost finished.

10. MaggieMae

MaggieMae Reality bits

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +1,601
    I'll still take you up on that, as long as you don't jack up the interest rate to 29.99% in 12 months. Send me the information. :lol:

• Thank You! Thank You! x 1