Idea for bar that allows smoking

robot.gif

I think your robot needs a g-string to receive tips in, EZ.

I'm cracking up thinking about those poor cops...they deserve a safe working environment, too, and should be allowed to refuse to arrest anyone that might blow smoke in their faces.

:lol:

I was talking to some people the other day that are trying to get the county to approve an idea they have for a bar that allows smoking. Smoking in bars here has been against the law for a couple of years here and they are trying to work around the law.

Their idea is basically a self-serve bar, or something modeled on the old fashioned automats, where mixed drinks are made by machine while beer is dispensed from a tap that lets you deposit coins in it. Employees would not be allowed in the bar during hours of operation, only to clean up and restock and make repairs after the bar is closed.

Therefore, there would be no danger of employees experiencing second hand smoke...I'm interested in finding out if the county will go for this or admit that the smoking laws have nothing to do with second hand smoke and more to do with protecting us from ourselves.

Any thoughts?

I didn't want to put this in the other thread as it is slightly off topic.

ACtually the argument for banning smoking in bars is that the employees will be forced to smoke.

In San Francisco, for example, the law reads that way.

EErgo, in San francisco there's at least one bar where former employees and the owner have formed a limited partnership such that it now has NO EMPLOYEES.

Hence this bar, I am informed, still allows smoking.

I haven't been there, but the source of this story is somebody whose veracity I trust.

I haven't noticed patronage drop off much at all since smoking bans went into effect.

A lot of the bars around here just added a patio area outside their bar. A small price to pay to keep your customers. If you can't take 5 minutes to step outside an burn your cig, you're a lazy fuck.

I don't agree with a government ban, although I like the idea of no one smoking in the bar I'm at. I'd really rather not breathe your disgusting ass cig exhaust.

If nothing else, stepping outside is common courtesy.

I was talking to some people the other day that are trying to get the county to approve an idea they have for a bar that allows smoking. Smoking in bars here has been against the law for a couple of years here and they are trying to work around the law.

Their idea is basically a self-serve bar, or something modeled on the old fashioned automats, where mixed drinks are made by machine while beer is dispensed from a tap that lets you deposit coins in it. Employees would not be allowed in the bar during hours of operation, only to clean up and restock and make repairs after the bar is closed.

Therefore, there would be no danger of employees experiencing second hand smoke...I'm interested in finding out if the county will go for this or admit that the smoking laws have nothing to do with second hand smoke and more to do with protecting us from ourselves.

Any thoughts?

I didn't want to put this in the other thread as it is slightly off topic.

ACtually the argument for banning smoking in bars is that the employees will be forced to smoke.

In San Francisco, for example, the law reads that way.

EErgo, in San francisco there's at least one bar where former employees and the owner have formed a limited partnership such that it now has NO EMPLOYEES.

Hence this bar, I am informed, still allows smoking.

I haven't been there, but the source of this story is somebody whose veracity I trust.
That's not a bad idea. I didn't realize that you could get around employee laws like that.

imagine if bars or rstaurants had total sections cut off from the non-smokers where they can light up

whata fucking crazy idea

imagine if bars or rstaurants had total sections cut off from the non-smokers where they can light up

whata fucking crazy idea

had that here in Mass. all the owners spent big $$$ to put in exhaust systems, etc. a year or two late they outlawed smoking indoors in public anyway.

whata fucking crazy idea

had that here in Mass. all the owners spent big $$$ to put in exhaust systems, etc. a year or two late they outlawed smoking indoors in public anyway.

yup, in nyc too...stupidest fucking thing ever...

Who's checking ID's?

Wait ... they still check ID's?

How else are you going to keep this from becoming a teen hangout? Seriously, vending machines that dispense alcohol... I woulda been all over that at 16. :D

It was a joke ... of course it seems fewer people have noticed just how young the bar crowd looks or it may just be my area. Most of those I see coming from the bars from just around the corner look no more than 15. I usually can't sleep when the bars let out on weekends and my computer is next to one of my windows.

whata fucking crazy idea

yup, in nyc too...stupidest fucking thing ever...

Tried it here to ... I smell another con job in it but meh, most likely not.

I haven't noticed patronage drop off much at all since smoking bans went into effect.

A lot of the bars around here just added a patio area outside their bar. A small price to pay to keep your customers. If you can't take 5 minutes to step outside an burn your cig, you're a lazy fuck.

I don't agree with a government ban, although I like the idea of no one smoking in the bar I'm at. I'd really rather not breathe your disgusting ass cig exhaust.

courtesy is what it's all about.

Certainly, but this bar isn't looking to have you as a customer. Not that they wouldn't welcome you, I'm sure.

Certainly, but this bar isn't looking to have you as a customer. Not that they wouldn't welcome you, I'm sure.

This type of bar would have a very limited clientele. Not very likely that non smokers would want to go in a place like that so smokers would only be able to go there with their other smoker friends but still have to go to non smoking bars to be with a bigger crowd. Most likely most would stick with the non smoking bars because going outside for a smoke is not such a difficult thing to do when your a halfway considerate person. With the number of smokers decreasing and the fact that even many smokers don't like densely smoke filled areas or the odors that cling to their clothes after spending time in such places I think these types of bars would have a high risk for going under. Add to all that lack of personal service and no clean up during open hours, it sounds like these places would be pretty dismal places to hangout.
I certainly do hope you :smoke:and Montezuma :evil: the best of luck however. Sincerely, I do. :razz:

Last edited:

Forum List

Back