Idea for bar that allows smoking

Ravi

Diamond Member
Feb 27, 2008
Hating Hatters
I was talking to some people the other day that are trying to get the county to approve an idea they have for a bar that allows smoking. Smoking in bars here has been against the law for a couple of years here and they are trying to work around the law.

Their idea is basically a self-serve bar, or something modeled on the old fashioned automats, where mixed drinks are made by machine while beer is dispensed from a tap that lets you deposit coins in it. Employees would not be allowed in the bar during hours of operation, only to clean up and restock and make repairs after the bar is closed.

Therefore, there would be no danger of employees experiencing second hand smoke...I'm interested in finding out if the county will go for this or admit that the smoking laws have nothing to do with second hand smoke and more to do with protecting us from ourselves.

Any thoughts?

I didn't want to put this in the other thread as it is slightly off topic.

It would never fly in my area because the bartenders are held liable for "overservice". What some here are talking about doing is classifying their establishments as private clubs, and then charging something like $1 per year for membership. It'll be interesting to see if that works.

LOL ... um ... there are ways around the bans and some of our local bars have found very creative ways to include a smoking section. One such was the heated out door patio ... exactly 25 feet from the door with a heated walkway. Take that environuts! Now they are wasting energy to make a profit. They also happen to be the only bars that are not hurting in our area and yet we only have a 15% smoking rate.

You say there is no danger, what about the danger of over drinking, without anyone cutting you off?

I'm not getting in that girl/guys car! :eek:

But, like I said in the other 25 page thread, I think Indiana got it right.

They have smoking and non-smoking bars. It let's the CUSTOMER and the EMPLOYEE make that choice of where they want to socialize and work.

Smoking or non-smoking?

It would never fly in my area because the bartenders are held liable for "overservice". What some here are talking about doing is classifying their establishments as private clubs, and then charging something like $1 per year for membership. It'll be interesting to see if that works.
That could be worked around, though. There could be a booth with a separate ventilation system where employees could observe...or the employees could dispense drinks through some type of vacum enclosed system. It'd be pretty cool if they could get robots to go around to the tables, the entire operation could be overseen by one or two people.

They have smoking and non-smoking bars. It let's the CUSTOMER and the EMPLOYEE make that choice of where they want to socialize and work.

Smoking or non-smoking?
We don't have that option. All bars and restaurants are non-smoking.

Smoking or non-smoking?
We don't have that option. All bars and restaurants are non-smoking.

Oh, I like your robot idea! :cool:

Do you have to tip the robot I wonder?

drinking-38.gif

An bouncer stationed outside the entrance would check IDs...just like in many bars now.

An bouncer stationed outside the entrance would check IDs...just like in many bars now.

Is this the same guy that will have to break up bar fights inside the establishment?
It's a sports bar, so it shouldn't attract that kind of crowd. I guess the bouncer could wear a space suit, or something robotic looking to keep in theme....with it's own breathing apparatus. Call the cops to break up fights that get out of control.

Wait, are cops protected from breathing in SHS? This could be a problem.

Is this the same guy that will have to break up bar fights inside the establishment?
It's a sports bar, so it shouldn't attract that kind of crowd. I guess the bouncer could wear a space suit, or something robotic looking to keep in theme....with it's own breathing apparatus. Call the cops to break up fights that get out of control.

Wait, are cops protected from breathing in SHS? This could be a problem.

:lol: yeah, they're protected from SHS but not bullets! :rofl:

But seriously, I like the concept, but getting around employee exposure is a serious challenge and so far I'm not convinced it's one that can be overcome.

Forum List

Back