ID Theft: Another Twist, Many Copy Machines contain Hard Drives

Gatekeeper

Nov 11, 2009
New Jersey
Another twist in how people can steal your identity, in my opinion, this practice should be illegal. Hard drives installed on many copy machines since 2002, at the workplace and stores where you make your own copies.

This may be an old story, but I wasn't aware of it.

"Consumers and business owners will photocopy highly confidential tax forms containing Social Security numbers, employer identification numbers and other sensitive information in places outside the home, leaving them vulnerable to digital theft," Ed McLaughlin, president of Sharp Document Solutions Company of America, said in a statement.
Photocopiers: The newest ID theft threat - Computerworld

Also, just found out that when these machines are replaced, many of the old ones are shipped to NIGERIA, with the hard drives and their contents that can be used to form databases which are sold for, amongst other things, ID theft.

There should be warnings on every one of these copy machines where ever they are advising the user that every copy is stored, so guard your personal information, don't copy anything with your SS#, bank numbers etc.

I wish I could post this information in the current events section, since it is so important, in my opinion, that people be made aware of what is going on with their personal information. But cross posting is not allowed from what I read.

Last edited:
Another twist in how people can steal your identity, in my opinion, this practice should be illegal. Hard drives installed on many copy machines since 2002, at the workplace and stores where you make your own copies.

This may be an old story, but I wasn't aware of it.

"Consumers and business owners will photocopy highly confidential tax forms containing Social Security numbers, employer identification numbers and other sensitive information in places outside the home, leaving them vulnerable to digital theft," Ed McLaughlin, president of Sharp Document Solutions Company of America, said in a statement.
Photocopiers: The newest ID theft threat - Computerworld

Who cares? How many people get their ID stolen this way? People who are selling security want to scare idiots like you into buying their products.

Last edited:
Having what I thought may be an intelligent conversation and some asshole comes in and calls us "Idiots". Some people just have no clue how to have a civil discussion.

'F' OFF! DANTE

I was shocked when I first read this. It makes an awful kind of sense.

I havne't used a copy machine for my personal information ever, but the bank I used to work at had so many copy machines all over the place..... but the bank was very anal about that kind of thing. I would imagine smaller banks wouldn't be.

BTY they are working on technology to replace hard drives with electronic ones. no moving parts. no boot up or wait time. push the power button there's the desktop. downside more expensive. until cost are recovered

Having what I thought may be an intelligent conversation and some asshole comes in and calls us "Idiots". Some people just have no clue how to have a civil discussion.

'F' OFF! DANTE

Discussions laced with alarmist reasoning and paranoid fantasies are mostly what people like you post on message boards. Please excuse me for stating the obvious---you're an idiot.

'F' OFF! DANTE

Discussions laced with alarmist reasoning and paranoid fantasies are mostly what people like you post on message boards. Please excuse me for stating the obvious---you're an idiot.

so are you

[youtube]mIKMuFki02c[/youtube]​

Forum List

Back