I'd Like To Announce....

I am going to have to have one.....soon, and I mean real soon....

I had an Arby's reuben once and couldn't finish it... awful!

I make a reuben to DIE for.

NOTHING touches the microwave. Microwaves destroy the molecular structure.

I use Pumpernickel instead of Rye. Good quality deli corned beef... Boar's Head is good.
Generous amount of swiss... sauerkraut and thousand island.

The way I make them is on a griddle. I butter the bread slices and put on the griddle. Then I add the meat and cheese on one piece of bread. Flip the blank piece of bread over the top then flip the sandwich. Once the bread has toasted, remove from griddle, add kraut and dressing, cut in half... serve with dill slices.

Yech! First off, I put the swiss on the corned beef and nuke if for 15 seconds....only long enough to melt the cheese and warm the beef. Thousand Island? good Lord, no. Pumpernickel? you gotta be kidding. And you don't need deli corned beef....boil your own brisket, two hours max, so you can Rueben whenever you get the urge. After 15 minutes, ladle off the salt and fat foam that rises to the surface. IMPORTANT NOTE: slice the corned beef AGAINST THE GRAIN so it stays solid instead of stringy. To each there own, but grilling bread rarely turns out well...it chars or gets hard. Only a lightly toasted rye is required so the fixins don't make it soggy. Follow my recipe...it took several tweaks to perfect it.
117537-98aabc77dde0769fc46fef528a3c535e.jpg

Last edited:
Yech! First off, I put the swiss on the corned beef and nuke if for 15 seconds....only long enough to melt the cheese and warm the beef. Thousand Island? good Lord, no. Pumpernickel? you gotta be kidding. And you don't need deli corned beef....boil your own brisket, two hours max, so you can Rueben whenever you get the urge. After 15 minutes, ladle off the salt and fat foam that rises to the surface. IMPORTANT NOTE: slice the corned beef AGAINST THE GRAIN so it stays solid instead of stringy. To each there own, but grilling bread rarely turns out well...it chars or gets hard. Only a lightly toasted rye is required so the fixins don't make it soggy. Follow my recipe...it took several tweaks to perfect it.

But you think Arby's is good.. that's your standard. I think they suck.

Yes, thousand island is often used as well as pumpernickel. It's just a variation and perhaps it's a regional thing. I've used Russian, mustard, spicy mustard before and sometimes I use rye when I can't get fresh pumpernickel.

I didn't say I "grilled" them, I use a griddle or pan over low heat. Turns out like a grilled cheese. They're in the pan long enough to warm the meat and melt the cheese. I've never put meat in the microwave, I just don't like how it turns out.

I guess I could do my own brisket and make my own sauerkraut... hell, make my own freakin' bread and dressing too! lol ...It's just easier for me to get it at the deli.

As far as how good mine are... all my friends rave over them. I've has them actually bring me the stuff to make them! Every gathering we have, they want to know if I'm doing ruebens.

I think they ALL sound good. I love the salty, sour, cheesy. No need for us to get defensive. Any way someone likes them should be fine.

Forum List

Back