Icy Disaster

Unkotare

Diamond Member
Aug 16, 2011
I didn't watch it (or anything else from this Winter Olympics), but according to all reports today, the figure skating yesterday was a complete and total shit show. Many of the skaters expected to win or place fell on their asses again and again. Whatever, but the reaction of their coaches and trainers when they got off the ice was cold to the point of hatred. These are children! Particularly the Russians, are put at younger and younger ages under more and more physical and emotional stress, even injected with harmful drugs, met with cruelty instead of support. It is tantamount to child abuse. Even some of the retired skaters from years past commentating on the games broke down in tears at witnessing such a spectacle. That sport is all kinds of fucked up.

I am not sure what needs to be done to get back to a fun sports competition. I remember in the past Olympic athletes from different countries supported each other and everyone was shown to have a good time.

I didn't watch it (or anything else from this Winter Olympics), but according to all reports today, the figure skating yesterday was a complete and total shit show. Many of the skaters expected to win or place fell on their asses again and again. Whatever, but the reaction of their coaches and trainers when they got off the ice was cold to the point of hatred. These are children! Particularly the Russians, are put at younger and younger ages under more and more physical and emotional stress, even injected with harmful drugs, met with cruelty instead of support. It is tantamount to child abuse. Even some of the retired skaters from years past commentating on the games broke down in tears at witnessing such a spectacle. That sport is all kinds of fucked up.

I’m sure the Russian has more on her mind than landing the triple lindy

First, Russia was banned from sending a team to the Olympics because of doping scandals. The IOC agreed that the Russian Olympic Committee (ROC) could send a team. It was a shame. That the young Olympic skater, Kamila Valieva, herself was under investigation for doping just goes to show the extent the Russians were going to cheat. The Russians should not have been allowed to compete period.

There really should be an age limit before these skaters can be allowed to compete in the Olympics. 15 years old is really too young. Combine their young age and the pressures on the coach to win (especially in authoritarian nations) creates an untenable situation. The same could also be applied to gymnastics as well.

Last edited:

Forum List

Back