Iconic photos through time

BDBoop

Platinum Member
Jul 20, 2011
Don't harsh my zen, Jen!
I hope many will participate. I was just searching Jackie Kennedy on Pinterest, as I am reading Upstairs at the White House, and she was much beloved by the Chief Usher, Mr. West. It's an excellent read, I highly recommend it to any history buffs.

So. I was looking up Jackie, and it occurred to me, there are so many pictures online of historic moments, people and locations. I don't want to put any parameters on it, just say if it touches something in you, I hope you'll share it here (and say why, if you can.)

17248ecbd105bd78a908d4e5c5db74ea.jpg

She was so very young! And beautiful. They were both so photogenic.

A photobooth photo of Jackie Kennedy and JFK, possibly taken during their honeymoon in 1953, courtesy the John F. Kennedy Library

• Banned
9b9b0f33fffa62198d038b7876427073.jpg

Raising the Flag on Iwo Jima is a historic photograph taken on February 23, 1945, by Joe Rosenthal. It depicts five United States Marines and a U.S. Navy corpsman raising the flag of the United States atop Mount Suribachi during the Battle of Iwo Jima in World War II.

Raising the Flag on Iwo Jima is a historic photograph taken on February 23, 1945, by Joe Rosenthal. It depicts five United States Marines and a U.S. Navy corpsman raising the flag of the United States atop Mount Suribachi during the Battle of Iwo Jima in World War II.

Classic!!

Vincent Price at his best.....

I had occasion to meet the man a few years later when he was on an antique buying visit to ............. (sorry, not gonna reveal where I might still be). He was a true gentleman who took great delight in people believing he was like the characters he so often played.

Only wish the time with him could have been longer than the few minutes it actually was.

Attachments

• $The-House-of-Usher-vincent-price-833573_580_400.jpg
    $The-House-of-Usher-vincent-price-833573_580_400.jpg
    19.8 KB · Views: 69
Anne-Morrow-Lindbergh-holding-her-infant-son-Charles-Jr..jpg

Reading this my first thought went to the Lindbergh kidnapping. This picture always brought the tragedy home for me

• Banned

Classic!!

I'm hoping that those with older memories than mine (I'll be 56 next month) will weigh in. When I post such as these, they aren't my memories. They were history to me, not current events. :)

Eleanor Roosevelt, in a very flattering photo (she was quite a homely woman). From what I read in Upstairs at the White House, she was in constant motion, just a virtual whirlwind of going places and getting things done.

4482e60fd2056d06ee848bde35f94877.jpg

Classic!!

I'm hoping that those with older memories than mine (I'll be 56 next month) will weigh in. When I post such as these, they aren't my memories. They were history to me, not current events. :)

Me too. I'm 54 in September. I remember seeing all of these pictures and I watched a lot of the old, black & white movies but I'm a product of the 60s and 70s.

a20e13a3e81a141b6c22a121c5e4e48b.jpg

Kent State Massacre - 4 Dead in Ohio The tipping point at home for the end of the Vietnam War. I remember when this happened. It was terrible! College students at Kent State were shot by the police while protesting the Vietnam War.

Forum List

Back