Ichiro Traded to the Yankees

Japanese are not like us..they want to be perfect before they speak the language. That's one of the biggest problems I've had as an ESL teacher for Japanese students on short home stay programs, getting them to talk even though it's not "perfect"....

That kind of generalization is not helpful or accurate.

It's fairly accurate...I've taught hundreds of Japanese students over the years and my biggest problem was getting them to talk. Once I convinced them that it didn't matter if they were perfect or not, as long as they tried, then I managed to work on their pronunciation and they started speaking and bonding with their host families. Always took a week.... Felt sorry for the groups that were only here a week.

Japanese are not like us..they want to be perfect before they speak the language. That's one of the biggest problems I've had as an ESL teacher for Japanese students on short home stay programs, getting them to talk even though it's not "perfect"....

It's fairly accurate....

No, it's a generalization based on your subjective impressions. Those are almost always counter-productive. What you are talking about is something that depends on the individuals involved and their personal circumstances much moreso than their native language or country of origin.

It's fairly accurate...I've taught hundreds of Japanese students over the years and my biggest problem was getting them to talk. Once I convinced them that it didn't matter if they were perfect or not, as long as they tried, then I managed to work on their pronunciation and they started speaking and bonding with their host families. Always took a week.... Felt sorry for the groups that were only here a week.
I spent 3 years in Japan doing the same. What gets them out of their shell is to get them to talk to each other during the lesson so that they weren't so self conscious about their accents and such.

I spent 3 years in Japan doing the same. What gets them out of their shell is to get them to talk to each other during the lesson so that they weren't so self conscious about their accents and such.

What you are talking about is a consideration that depends on age, circumstance, personality, motivation, setting, etc.

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GtImIqR5neU&feature=related]Ichiro's Favorite American Expression - YouTube[/ame]

NY reporter says that Ichiro speaks "fluent English."

Ms fans already knew that when he used interpretors - when he gave an interview at all.

Most around here fed-up with his act...............

Went to the game last Wednesday at Camden Yards, everyone had a good time!

0002.jpg

View from my seat:

0001.jpg

Forum List

Back