Ichiro Traded to the Yankees

Mad Scientist

Feels Good!
Sep 15, 2008
I don't follow sports but I found this headline interesting for one reason.

My wife and I have friends visiting from Japan next month and wanted to see Ichiro play when Seattle visits Baltimore next month.

Ichiro has played in Seattle for what, 12 years? And now, the month before our friends travel from the other side of the world to see him, he gets traded! They may have already bought the tickets too!

Mr. and Mrs. Yamada are really nice people and I hate seeing this happen but you gotta' admit it's kinda' funny.

I've already checked and if they REALLY want to see him in NY, the YankMees aren't at home again until the 13th against Tejas.

Side Note: If you have a Canon Copier, Mr. Yamada probably wrote the software for it.

I never liked the guy.

Was a prima donna. Should fit in well with the Yanks.

Never gave interviews as a rule -on the rare exceptions he did - used an interpretor - even though he speaks FLUENT ENGLISH!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

For the past 10 years my brother and I have said Ichiro belongs in a NY Yankee uniform

I don't follow sports but I found this headline interesting for one reason.

My wife and I have friends visiting from Japan next month and wanted to see Ichiro play when Seattle visits Baltimore next month.

Ichiro has played in Seattle for what, 12 years? And now, the month before our friends travel from the other side of the world to see him, he gets traded! They may have already bought the tickets too!

Mr. and Mrs. Yamada are really nice people and I hate seeing this happen but you gotta' admit it's kinda' funny.

I've already checked and if they REALLY want to see him in NY, the YankMees aren't at home again until the 13th against Tejas.

Side Note: If you have a Canon Copier, Mr. Yamada probably wrote the software for it.

Take heart, we have two more Japanese players in the Mariners....:D

I never liked the guy.

Never gave interviews as a rule -on the rare exceptions he did - used an interpretor - even though he speaks FLUENT ENGLISH!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Japanese are not like us..they want to be perfect before they speak the language. That's one of the biggest problems I've had as an ESL teacher for Japanese students on short home stay programs, getting them to talk even though it's not "perfect".

I, on the other hand, was not afraid to try out my Japanese in Japan...even called a poor baby "scary" instead of "cute" due to my mispronunciation...

Last edited:
I never liked the guy.

Japanese are not like us..they want to be perfect before they speak the language. That's one of the biggest problems I've had as an ESL teacher for Japanese students on short home stay programs, getting them to talk even though it's not "perfect".

I, on the other hand, was not afraid to try out my Japanese in Japan...even called a poor baby "scary" instead of "cute" due to my mispronunciation...
I've found just the opposite with Spanish speakers who know only a little English.

I have a little repertoire of Spanish malaprops and I use them...Seems that making them laugh at an "accidental" butchering of the language makes them more comfortable using what little English they know.

I couldn't believe the arrogance of the guy................................

I never liked the guy.

I've found just the opposite with Spanish speakers who know only a little English.

I have a little repertoire of Spanish malaprops and I use them...Seems that making them laugh at an "accidental" butchering of the language makes them more comfortable using what little English they know.

I've worked with many Mexicans, and for the most part they appreciate when you at least attempt to communicate with them in their language, and they respond in kind.

Can't say I blame them. I appreciated it when they used whatever English they knew when I vacationed down there.

I've worked with many Mexicans, and for the most part they appreciate when you at least attempt to communicate with them in their language, and they respond in kind.

Can't say I blame them. I appreciated it when they used whatever English they knew when I vacationed down there.

Giving out lunches at the church I find the opposite. When the Mexicans come in, I try to talk to them in Spanish but they get mad and all of a sudden they speak English really well...of course I've found it differently in other places. I ran across a Mexican in Costco one day and translated for her. She spent the next 20 minutes telling me how much Guadalajara has changed since I was last there, all in Spanish. Maybe it depends on where you run into them?

Giving out lunches at the church I find the opposite. When the Mexicans come in, I try to talk to them in Spanish but they get mad and all of a sudden they speak English really well...of course I've found it differently in other places. I ran across a Mexican in Costco one day and translated for her. She spent the next 20 minutes telling me how much Guadalajara has changed since I was last there, all in Spanish. Maybe it depends on where you run into them?

These are co-workers I'm stuck with all day so I guess they don't take as much comfort in being an ass.

Sayanara to the the arrogant smuck.

Never ONCE heard his voice in English is his years with the Mariners...

Respect the language.

Never spokea wordof English witrh the Ms

Whar the fuck is that???????????????????????????????

Sayanara to the the arrogant smuck.

Never ONCE heard his voice in English is his years with the Mariners...
Didn't he help the Mariners win 116 games? Why didn't they win the Series that year? He can't play every position, to include Manager.

I think yer just mad cause you know that now the Mariners face at least a decade or more of "suck" :D

Sidenote: A Japanese tabloid once offered 1 Million dollars for a picture of Ichiro... naked!

Japanese are not like us..they want to be perfect before they speak the language. That's one of the biggest problems I've had as an ESL teacher for Japanese students on short home stay programs, getting them to talk even though it's not "perfect"....

That kind of generalization is not helpful or accurate.

BFD - who won the WS in 2001
The sucjass Az Arizonaz dibackcs????????????????????????????????

I never liked the guy.

He is not a "prima donna," he is just a strange genius. And you are not qualified to judge his fluency in English.

Respect the language.

Never spokea wordof English witrh the Ms

Whar the fuck is that???????????????????????????????

How'd you do the last time you were interviewed for national television in Japanese when you knew your every word would be picked apart by the press?

If you heard him give an interview in Japanese you might understand why someone realized it would not be a good idea to try it in English.

Forum List

Back