Iceberg 4 miles wide breaks off from Greenland glacier

Wow, you could pour a lotta scotch over an ice cube 4 miles wide.

You only pour the cheap shit over ice cubes, not the good stuff.
I paid for it, if I want it over ice that's how I'mma drink it.

You can put ketchup on prime rib that you bought also...doesn't make you any less of a putz because you paid for it.

If you are going to pour it over ice, you may as well buy the cheap stuff, since you cheapen the good stuff by pouring it over ice...do you put a little umbrella in it also...the umbrellas make it more classy..right?

Keep it in the freezer and you wont need ice.
I like ice. Thanks though.

You can put ketchup on prime rib that you bought also...doesn't make you any less of a putz because you paid for it.

If you are going to pour it over ice, you may as well buy the cheap stuff, since you cheapen the good stuff by pouring it over ice...do you put a little umbrella in it also...the umbrellas make it more classy..right?

Than keep it in the freezer and drop a few cubes in it.

I'm curious. The glaciers are fresh water and the ice breaks off into the salty ocean. I wonder why kind of fish live where glaciers meet the ocean.

Your opinion means nothing.

It isn't an opinion...It is a demonstrable fact...do a bit of reading on fine whiskeys and how the are best enjoyed. You literally destroy the very characteristics that the additional aging puts into whiskey when you pour it over ice...and even more so if your ice is made with tap water.

What happens when you add water or ice to whisky or whiskey - whiskyforeveryone.com

:clip:

Adding water
By adding a few drops of water to a whisky, you can open up different, new and subtle flavours that you previously had not experienced. This is especially true when drinking cask strength whiskies that have higher alcohol levels (these can be up to and over 60% ABV in some cases). With cask strength whisky the alcohol and resulting burning in your mouth can overpower even the most prominent flavours. By adding some water, this dilutes the alcohol and reduces its effect, giving both the prominent and more subtle flavours a chance to shine. Imagine drinking a fruit cordial or concentrate without any water and then with water - it is essentially the same idea. How much water you then add is entirely dependent on your taste.

Adding ice
Ice is slightly different. Rather than enhancing flavours, it inhibits them as the ice makes the temperature of the whisky drop rapidly. It is the same as when you drink a good white wine that has been chilled down too much. It will be a more refreshing drink and calm the burn of alcohol, but can make the whisky taste dull and flat. The aromas and taste will only start to open up and reveal their full characteristics once the whisky starts to warm up to room temperature.
It's your opinion. Other people may share it, but it's still.jjst your opinion, and therefore meaningless to me.

Not an opinion...the science is there.

I didn't say that you couldn't use ice...Hell, I drink whisky on ice...just not the good stuff. As I said, ice masks the very attributes that make the good stuff cost more....and that isn't opinion.

Then maybe your idea of the "good" stuff is different from mine.

Good stuff

th

What you pour over ice

th

Don't get me wrong...there is nothing wrong with monkey shoulder, and a lot of other whiskeys at that price point. if you haven't tried it, at less than $30, it is a damned fine scotch...but not to ever be confused with the good stuff.

Last edited:

Crepitus, get your self a set of stones so not to dilute your single malt, they are not much money and make a world of difference.

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B002GZX2DE/?tag=ff0d01-20

Crepitus, get your self a set of stones so not to dilute your single malt, they are not much money and make a world of difference.

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B002GZX2DE/?tag=ff0d01-20

It isn't so much the water...a bit of water opens up a good whiskey...Of course you shouldn't use ice made with tap water...chlorine, fluoride and all....I lived in Alaska a while a very long time ago and you could get glacier ice in the liquor stores...great stuff to pour middle grade whiskey over...the stuff effervesces like an alka seltzer but not as strong....it is cooling it that suppresses the nose and the taste.

Forum List

Back