ICE Your Cell Phone

Divine Wind

Platinum Member
Aug 2, 2011
Texas
I read an article on this in the local newspaper recently and it seems like a good idea:

ICE Your Cell Phone
Paramedics are asking that everyone add at least one additional entry to their cell phone contacts list. Please add an ICE entry. ICE stands for In Case of Emergency. This number should dial the person in your family that can respond to medical decisions if you are injured or incapcitated.

If you are in an accident, paramedics know to check your phone for your emergency contact information. Imagine taking a look and trying to figure out who to call out of the twenty or more numbers on your phone. By adding a contact entry that's designated as an emergency contact number (ICE), you can make their job much easier and possibly save your own life.

So program an ICE entry on your cell phone today, as a matter of fact, pull it out right now as you're reading this article. If you have more than one person the paramedics can contact in case of an emergency, you can add additional ICE numbers to your list. Your primary contact should be listed under ICE, then you can add the other contacts under ICE1, ICE2, ICE3, etc.

After you program ICE into your phone, have your spouse, your kids, your parents, and your friends do the same thing. If there are people in your life that you care about, they should all have ICE on their phones.

Cell Phones & ICE

In case of emergency - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Yes, my brother told me about this last year. I have him and my fiance as my ICE contacts in case something would happen. It's a GREAT idea, so the people who need to be contacted can be ASAP.

Thanks for posting!

I can tell you from personal experience that ICE is a good thing for your cell phone. My wife was in a very serious auto accident four years ago and having ICE in her cell phone was a tremendous assistance to the police and the hospital.

medics don't necesarilly need to know who you are, they need to know what you are.

and while family members and/or other info might be had via c-phone, medalert tags have been the staple of the industry because they're DUMB

to insist on supplementing and/or replacing them via techhnology that is not universal is to interject more mayhem in the malestrom

~S~

I can tell you from personal experience that ICE is a good thing for your cell phone. My wife was in a very serious auto accident four years ago and having ICE in her cell phone was a tremendous assistance to the police and the hospital.

so tell us the story then.....~S~

so tell us the story then.....~S~

I've told the story several times on the board in the past and won't go into great detail again but having ICE on her cell phone allowed the police and hospital to contact NOK quickly in an emergency situation.

i can tell you from personal experience that ice is a good thing for your cell phone. My wife was in a very serious auto accident four years ago and having ice in her cell phone was a tremendous assistance to the police and the hospital.

so tell us the story then.....~s~

i've told the story several times on the board in the past and won't go into great detail again but having ice on her cell phone allowed the police and hospital to contact nok quickly in an emergency situation.

nok?

~s~

Maybe I should create and market the world first waterproof, er water resistant cell phone - because everyone knows texting in the shower is fun.

Maybe I should create and market the world first waterproof, er water resistant cell phone - because everyone knows texting in the shower is fun.

Too late! Best waterproof cell phones

Sonim XP3 waterproof cell phone review

For those with smart phones, there are even apps with contacts and medical info.

Android Apps for ICE – Smartphone App for Medical Emergency Contact
Emergency Contact Apps:
First, there are applications available in the Android Market specifically to support ICE. These can be easily found by searching the Market for “In Case of Emergency”. Two popular applications are provided by Appventive and Sera-Apps. Both of these are similar in that they allow entry and display of emergency contact numbers and additional information such as medications, allergies, and insurance data. One advantage that Appventive’s product provides is the ability to place a button on the phone’s lock screen so that the data is available even if the phone is protected with a password or pattern lock.

Simple Alternative:
As a simple alternative to installing a dedicated application, many Android notepad applications have the ability to place a shortcut to a note on the phone’s home page. Using this “pin” or “sticky note” feature, one can create a note titled ICE and fill it with all of the pertinent information: emergency contact numbers, medication, allergies, primary doctors, and anything else which may be important in a medical crisis. Once created this note can be placed on the home page where it can be easily found. A drawback to this approach is that the information is not available if the phone is locked.

Using this “pin” or “sticky note” feature, one can create a note titled ICE and fill it with all of the pertinent information: emergency contact numbers, medication, allergies, primary doctors, and anything else which may be important in a medical crisis. Once created this note can be placed on the home page where it can be easily found. A drawback to this approach is that the information is not available if the phone is locked.

helpful, but as most cells are locked, it becomes something of a moot point

~S~

Using this “pin” or “sticky note” feature, one can create a note titled ICE and fill it with all of the pertinent information: emergency contact numbers, medication, allergies, primary doctors, and anything else which may be important in a medical crisis. Once created this note can be placed on the home page where it can be easily found. A drawback to this approach is that the information is not available if the phone is locked.

helpful, but as most cells are locked, it becomes something of a moot point

Mine isn't locked but I don't have a smart phone either. The Apps mentioned work even with locked phones. If you don't want this information on your phone or on the phones of your family members, don't put it on there. OTOH, some people do want it.
One of the benefits of living in a free country.
flag.gif

If a person has a medical condition requiring special attention then it would be to their benefit to wear a bracelet, pendant or some other object which details this information for EMT's and ER's.

well, maybe down the road it'll be a popular avenue, and maybe it'll actually outshine the current info collection tactics

but for now, it's not even in the cirriculum, so all those apps may well go unnoted.

presently, ems is used to looking for med alert braclets, necklaces, and maybe ankle cha cha on females. , even a fridge for the 'vial of life'

Once in a while, someone might check a wallet or purse but that's just for ID, and maybe meds, few are thinking c-phone yet

Living in the green mountains, i can honestly say the service s*cks, and c-phones will let you down every time

Then there is the issue of just what NOK can actually provide. If in fact it's a medical issue, and the patient is less than responsive, family would be high on the list

If it's trauma related, i'd say NOK won't be a whole lot of help, in fact winding them up can be just another cog in the wheel mitigating a mess out there

You people do realize that, all that is needed to pull up med records @ the local e.r. is name & D.O.B. right? That's statewide , at least here.....

~S~

well, maybe down the road it'll be a popular avenue, and maybe it'll actually outshine the current info collection tactics

but for now, it's not even in the cirriculum, so all those apps may well go unnoted.

presently, ems is used to looking for med alert braclets, necklaces, and maybe ankle cha cha on females. , even a fridge for the 'vial of life'

Once in a while, someone might check a wallet or purse but that's just for ID, and maybe meds, few are thinking c-phone yet

Living in the green mountains, i can honestly say the service s*cks, and c-phones will let you down every time

Then there is the issue of just what NOK can actually provide. If in fact it's a medical issue, and the patient is less than responsive, family would be high on the list

If it's trauma related, i'd say NOK won't be a whole lot of help, in fact winding them up can be just another cog in the wheel mitigating a mess out there

You people do realize that, all that is needed to pull up med records @ the local e.r. is name & D.O.B. right? That's statewide , at least here.....

~S~

You speak like somebody with a bit of intelligence on this subject but in reality you don't have a clue as to what you are talking about. I think you must have some sort of quirk against cell phones or something. In this area of the country, both the EMS and law enforcement are very much in tune with ICE on cell phones and they actually have message boards on the interstate recommending it. From personal experience, ICE worked well for me and I know others that have been helped by the ICE concept. I think you need to rethink your position.

I can see why Luddites are against high tech measures for simple safety issues. Personally, I'd recommend them all instead of relying upon one. After all, what if you forget your cell phone on the way to the liquor store? Still, a cell phone would carry more information than a simple bracelet. Not really necessary for most people, but for those with special conditions it could be a life-saver.

My info is simple, "B+, not allergic to anything. NoK: Cxxx Kxxxx (XXX)xxx-xxxx). For others, it could take up an entire pamphlet.

~S~

You speak like somebody with a bit of intelligence on this subject but in reality you don't have a clue as to what you are talking about. I think you must have some sort of quirk against cell phones or something. In this area of the country, both the EMS and law enforcement are very much in tune with ICE on cell phones and they actually have message boards on the interstate recommending it. From personal experience, ICE worked well for me and I know others that have been helped by the ICE concept. I think you need to rethink your position.

I'm not exactly a luddie, and yeah, i am rethinking my position Dog

like a mentor once said to me "what works, works"

pretty much i have so many stories to back him up, we'd go for pages here, so i won't discount that ICE could be in vouge universally soon

at present, it's not.

one thing you need to realize is, the majority of ems are creatures of repetition, we're talking people with anywhere from 40-140 (except the paraGod's) hours of training

inasmuch as there are exceptional McGuyvers out there. the majority rely on the KISS method ,along with all the anachronims engineered to keep it so

~S~

Forum List

Back