ICE returns thousands of ancient artifacts seized from Hobby Lobby to Iraq

Disir

Platinum Member
Sep 30, 2011
WASHINGTON — U.S. Immigration and Customs Enforcement (ICE) returned 3,800 ancient artifacts, including cuneiform tablets, cylinder seals, and clay bullae, to the Republic of Iraq. The artifacts were smuggled into the United States in violation of federal law and shipped to Hobby Lobby Stores, Inc, a nationwide arts-and-crafts retailer.
“On behalf of U.S. Immigration and Customs Enforcement (ICE), and thanks to the hard work of the Office of the Special Agent in Charge in New York, it is a great honor for me to return so many priceless cultural artifacts to the people of Iraq,” said ICE Acting Director Thomas D. Homan. “I would like to thank my colleagues at U.S. Customs and Border Protection and the U.S. Attorney’s Office for the Eastern District of New York for making this repatriation possible,” Homan added. “We will continue to work together to prevent the looting of antiquities and ensure that those who would attempt to profit from this crime are held accountable. This ceremony should serve as a powerful reminder that nobody is above the law.”

Right on!

I can't believe they were stupid enough to buy them in the first place, let alone attempt to sell them.

I wonder what Hobby Lobby's side of the story is.

I can't believe they were stupid enough to buy them in the first place, let alone attempt to sell them.

I wonder what Hobby Lobby's side of the story is.

The Green family thought it was worth it because they wanted to put them in the Bible Museum. They knew in advance and they did it anyway.

WASHINGTON — U.S. Immigration and Customs Enforcement (ICE) returned 3,800 ancient artifacts, including cuneiform tablets, cylinder seals, and clay bullae, to the Republic of Iraq. The artifacts were smuggled into the United States in violation of federal law and shipped to Hobby Lobby Stores, Inc, a nationwide arts-and-crafts retailer.
“On behalf of U.S. Immigration and Customs Enforcement (ICE), and thanks to the hard work of the Office of the Special Agent in Charge in New York, it is a great honor for me to return so many priceless cultural artifacts to the people of Iraq,” said ICE Acting Director Thomas D. Homan. “I would like to thank my colleagues at U.S. Customs and Border Protection and the U.S. Attorney’s Office for the Eastern District of New York for making this repatriation possible,” Homan added. “We will continue to work together to prevent the looting of antiquities and ensure that those who would attempt to profit from this crime are held accountable. This ceremony should serve as a powerful reminder that nobody is above the law.”

Right on!

Who at Hobby Lobby is going to prison for the thefts?

Right on!

Who at Hobby Lobby is going to prison for the thefts?

Neither David Green nor Cary Summers will be going to jail. It's a slap on the wrist is what it is.

Well. with any luck ISIS will make a come back, get their hands on those precious artifacts and destroy them........:eusa_whistle:

Well. with any luck ISIS will make a come back, get their hands on those precious artifacts and destroy them........:eusa_whistle:

That's what I was thinking could happen, then the artifacts are destroyed forever.
Our own state department was behind the removal of thousands of artifacts ostensibly for safe keeping, others (primarily locals) snatched up thousands which ended up on the black market. In some instances the two were somewhat blurred........... Now that Iraq has supposedly defeated ISIS they want their artifacts back. The real question is how many of Hobby Lobby's purchased artifacts were via the black market or via the state department..........

That's what I was thinking could happen, then the artifacts are destroyed forever.
Our own state department was behind the removal of thousands of artifacts ostensibly for safe keeping, others (primarily locals) snatched up thousands which ended up on the black market. In some instances the two were somewhat blurred........... Now that Iraq has supposedly defeated ISIS they want their artifacts back. The real question is how many of Hobby Lobby's purchased artifacts were via the black market or via the state department..........

But the ones Hobby Lobby had weren't the ones the State Dept had..

You're 100% sure of that?

You're 100% sure of that?

It ain't my bidness, so no.

Forum List

Back