Ice Age Columbus

One point here. There is no reason not to suppose that there were people from Asia doing the same thing. Only in boats, less with the ice. Evidence would be difficult to obtain, as the sea rise has destroyed much of it.

In the Steens Mountain area of Oregon they have found Clovis points, and evidence that the tool skills brought spread from the East coast all the way to the West Coast. And then there was a population crash and a resultant total toolbag change. That started with the advent of the Younger Dryas.

Yep, who may well have been Polynesian. I have never doubted that men were just as adventurous many thousands of years ago as they are today. I think if we somehow had a time machine I think we would find that there were many starts, some of them ending in failure in North and South America.

From Woodland, Oregon, we had a dig that produced a wingbone of a bird with a 14 ft wingspan, as well as a human hair.

Weird Washington

In 2005, a group from the Oregon Archaeological Society was excavating a site near Woodburn, Oregon. They found what they thought was an elk bone, but upon further analysis, it was discovered that the bone and several others on site belonged to an ancient bird known as the Teratorn. Teratorn bones have recently been found in Argentina and all across North America, in Oregon, California, Florida, and New York. The largest example found had a wingspan of over 24 feet, and weighed over 170 pounds. It was probably a carnivore, as it had a beak and jaw designed to pick up and swallow small prey whole. These birds probably thrived at the end of the last Ice Age, and paleontologists think they died out as the glaciers melted.

There may well have been terror birds from South America in Florida contemperaneous with humans. Just another serious challenge to survival for the early settlers of North America.

Angry Spam, I used to eat that in the field. It usually led to angry stomach and bowels.

Forum List

Back