IC SGA passes bill to create system to report microaggressions

CherryPanda

Aug 12, 2014
he Ithaca College Student Government Association passed a bill March 16 to create an online system to report microaggressions, which sponsors of the bill said will create a more conducive environment for victims to speak about microaggressions.

The bill, sponsored by Class of 2018 senator Angela Pradhan, calls for the implementation of a campus-wide online system to report microaggressions to “make Ithaca College a safer, more inclusive and diverse community for all students.”

Pradhan said the online system would fill what she sees as a lack of an adequate system to report microaggressions.

“I know a lot of senators are working on microaggression stuff within their respective schools, but I felt that there was a need for something to happen schoolwide,” Pradhan said. “And if there was a concrete way to document [microaggressions] online, it would provide students a way to kind of state what’s going on.”

The system would allow individuals reporting microaggressions to remain anonymous. However, junior Kyle James, vice president of communications and co-sponsor of the bill, said those reporting a microaggression would likely have to reveal their identity if they wanted to pursue any legal action.

James said in addition to a space to report the particular incident, the online system would track the demographics of those reporting microaggressions as well as those accused of committing them.

Pradhan said the way the demographic information would be tracked is not set in stone, but it will likely be based on a temporary pin and coding system. She said the system would note the gender, race, age and school within the college and year of both the person reporting the microaggression and the person being reported.

The system would also contain a way to distinguish between staff, faculty members and both international and American students, as well as a mechanism to include where the microaggression took place, Pradhan said.

IC SGA passes bill to create system to report microaggressions The Ithacan

Does anyone know what microaggression is? Like, any example? And what about the legal actions the kids were talking about?
I'm just confused trying to imagine the situation... Somebody did something to me that might be insulting (let's imagine, whistled in my back evaluating my appearance) and I do what... come to my computer and inform the college about that? o_O
It's really strange concept, actually. It feels like those kids don't have real problems to solve. Correct me if I'm wrong, but I just don't get it.
And I don't want them to grow up and pass bills in the Congress.

A micro aggression is unconscious racism, sexism or homophobia.

Examples.

Your neighbor is gay. You ask him to help you decide which upholstery material will look best with the wall color you chose. That's micro aggression. Just because he's gay doesn't mean he's into interior design. You are unconsciously homophobic.

The teacher corrects the grammar on an assignment. One of the students corrected is black. That's micro aggression and racism. Correct grammar is patrimony and white supremacy.

A woman is shopping and asks a sales woman rather than a sales man if the dress makes her look fat. That's sexism. The male ability to judge and express an opinion about a fat ass is just as valid as a womans.

Examples.

Your neighbor is gay. You ask him to help you decide which upholstery material will look best with the wall color you chose. That's micro aggression. Just because he's gay doesn't mean he's into interior design. You are unconsciously homophobic.

The teacher corrects the grammar on an assignment. One of the students corrected is black. That's micro aggression and racism. Correct grammar is patrimony and white supremacy.

A woman is shopping and asks a sales woman rather than a sales man if the dress makes her look fat. That's sexism. The male ability to judge and express an opinion about a fat ass is just as valid as a womans.

Hmmm... I don't know, the listed examples don't seem objective.... I mean, it's like pretending you know what other person meant to do or say. Like... C'mon, teacher is supposed to correct students without any regard to their race, a woman in a store might look for female opinion because she feels uncomfortable talking about her fat ass with a male assistant. As for the gay neighbour... Who knows, maybe, he is into interior design...
Or were you just a bit sarcastic and I missed that?

he Ithaca College Student Government Association passed a bill March 16 to create an online system to report microaggressions, which sponsors of the bill said will create a more conducive environment for victims to speak about microaggressions.

The bill, sponsored by Class of 2018 senator Angela Pradhan, calls for the implementation of a campus-wide online system to report microaggressions to “make Ithaca College a safer, more inclusive and diverse community for all students.”

Pradhan said the online system would fill what she sees as a lack of an adequate system to report microaggressions.

“I know a lot of senators are working on microaggression stuff within their respective schools, but I felt that there was a need for something to happen schoolwide,” Pradhan said. “And if there was a concrete way to document [microaggressions] online, it would provide students a way to kind of state what’s going on.”

The system would allow individuals reporting microaggressions to remain anonymous. However, junior Kyle James, vice president of communications and co-sponsor of the bill, said those reporting a microaggression would likely have to reveal their identity if they wanted to pursue any legal action.

James said in addition to a space to report the particular incident, the online system would track the demographics of those reporting microaggressions as well as those accused of committing them.

Pradhan said the way the demographic information would be tracked is not set in stone, but it will likely be based on a temporary pin and coding system. She said the system would note the gender, race, age and school within the college and year of both the person reporting the microaggression and the person being reported.

The system would also contain a way to distinguish between staff, faculty members and both international and American students, as well as a mechanism to include where the microaggression took place, Pradhan said.

Does anyone know what microaggression is? Like, any example? And what about the legal actions the kids were talking about?
I'm just confused trying to imagine the situation... Somebody did something to me that might be insulting (let's imagine, whistled in my back evaluating my appearance) and I do what... come to my computer and inform the college about that? o_O
It's really strange concept, actually. It feels like those kids don't have real problems to solve. Correct me if I'm wrong, but I just don't get it.

Microaggression: term invented by bleeding hearts when others would laugh at calling a 'sneer' or 'rude gesture' an 'act of aggression.' :)

go with sarcastic

Feels like I'm losing my sence of humor ;)

Microaggression: term invented by bleeding hearts when others would laugh at calling a 'sneer' or 'rude gesture' an 'act of aggression.' :)

But those bleeding hearts are taking actions to bring this 'acts' to a new level which may end with absolutely absurd law suits... And no one is telling them they lack common sense!

Examples.

Hmmm... I don't know, the listed examples don't seem objective.... I mean, it's like pretending you know what other person meant to do or say. Like... C'mon, teacher is supposed to correct students without any regard to their race, a woman in a store might look for female opinion because she feels uncomfortable talking about her fat ass with a male assistant. As for the gay neighbour... Who knows, maybe, he is into interior design...
Libtards always assume they know what other people need.

Libtards always assume they know what other people need.

I guess, you nailed it. We're living in the world where everybody but us knows perfectly what we need, feel, want and lack. And thus those people feel obliged to act according to this knowledge.

Examples.

The entire point behind micro aggression is that such aggression isn't objective. It's subjective.

A victim of micro aggression just stopped a charity event because the flyer had a picture of maracas. No one knew who saw the flyer but one woman found this cultural appropriation a form of micro aggression.

Forum List

Back