Iams pet food recall for salmonella

syrenn

Rookie
May 10, 2010
Just an FYI. Imas pet food, both dog and cat, has put out a recall on some of its dry food that may be contaminated with salmonella. Check Imas web site for the codes on your food and toss them.

P&G Expands Voluntary Limited Recall of Specialized Dry Pet Foods
Due to Possible Health Risk

CINCINNATI, July 30, 2010 - The Procter & Gamble Company (P&G) (NYSE:pG) is voluntarily expanding its recall to include veterinary and some specialized dry pet food as a precautionary measure because it has the potential to be contaminated with salmonella. No salmonella-related illnesses have been reported.

P&G Expands Voluntary Limited Recall of Specialized Dry Pet Foods

Last edited:
Salmonella carried by hedgehogs...
:eusa_eh:
Hedgehog Alert! Prickly pets can carry salmonella
Jan 31,`13: Add those cute little hedgehogs to the list of pets that can make you sick.
In the last year, 20 people were infected by a rare but dangerous form of salmonella bacteria, and one person died in January. The illnesses were linked to contact with hedgehogs kept as pets, according to a report released Thursday by the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention. Health officials on Thursday say such cases seem to be increasing. The CDC recommends thoroughly washing your hands after handling hedgehogs and cleaning pet cages and other equipment outside. Other pets that carry the salmonella bug are frogs, toads, turtles, snakes, lizards, chicks and ducklings.

Seven of the hedgehog illnesses were in Washington state, including the death - an elderly man from Spokane County who died in January. The other cases were in Alabama, Illinois, Indiana, Michigan, Minnesota, Ohio and Oregon. In years past, only one or two illnesses from this salmonella strain have been reported annually, but the numbers rose to 14 in 2011, 18 last year, and two so far this year. Children younger than five and the elderly are considered at highest risk for severe illness, CDC officials said.

Hedgehogs are small, insect-eating mammals with a coat of stiff quills. In nature, they sometimes live under hedges and defend themselves by rolling up into a spiky ball. The critters linked to recent illnesses were purchased from various breeders, many of them licensed by the U.S. Department of Agriculture, CDC officials said. Hedgehogs are native to Western Europe, New Zealand and some other parts of the world, but are bred in the United States.

Source

I don't see anything about a recall on that link. I even typed "recall" in Search and nothing came up.

Last edited:
Actually, when you call my vet the "on hold spiel" talks about how you shouldn't handle pets food or treats.

WTF are they putting in our pet food?

I had a sick dog, had to make everything from scratch, time consuming, really hope I don't have to do that again.

• Banned
Actually, when you call my vet the "on hold spiel" talks about how you shouldn't handle pets food or treats.

WTF are they putting in our pet food?

I had a sick dog, had to make everything from scratch, time consuming, really hope I don't have to do that again.

been there done that too.... I named it boscos chicken in a pot.

I have 3 outdoor cats. I hope the birds and other critters do not get salmonella.
Just rolled out to my workshop to give the cats some lap time.

Kinda cool out here so I cranked up the heat a bit.
They have a heated place to sleep and hang out.

I feed my dogs Canine Caviar plus a homemade concoction I cook up, but the cats just get Iams and Fancy Feast. :)

Glad to see this isn't a current thread. Because even for the cats I would pay attention to a recall of their food!

Another good reason not to be kissin' no frogs lookin' fer Prince Charmin'...
:eusa_eh:
CDC: Frogs with salmonella could still be in homes
Mar 11,`13 -- They live underwater, eat bloodworms, and are promoted on pet websites. But African dwarf frogs can carry salmonella.
An outbreak tied to the frogs sickened nearly 400 people, mostly children, from 2008 to 2011. Since these miniature amphibians can live up to 18 years, some linked to the outbreak may remain in U.S. home aquariums. That's according to government researchers in a Monday report from the journal Pediatrics.

Five outbreak-linked cases also occurred last year. No one died. The Centers for Disease Control and Prevention advises washing hands after touching the frogs' aquarium water and says young children should not clean aquariums.

The California breeder linked to the outbreak briefly suspended distribution and cooperated with authorities.

Source

I fix a stew for my dogs to add to their PURINA Beneful dry dog food. One chicken, boiled in water with light seasonings of salt and a touch of pepper...LOTS of carrots (fresh, not canned) and 2 cups white rice. Cook until the meat falls off the bone, romove the bones and make sure you get them all, and there is the stew. I add about 1/4 cup to their dry dog food.
The cat gets Friskies or Fancy Feast.

Purina has not been on the recall list. I trust them.

Forum List

Back