I Wouldn't Belong To A Church That Seemed More Concerned With Race Than God

the UCC is not an exclusive denomination. The fact that this particular church in a black community tries to minister to the specific needs of that community does not bother me in the least. This seems like a tempest in a teapot about Barak.... much like the Faux News "reports" about him attending a radical islamic madrassa.

Uh...yeah. Pretty much. :thup:

I knew this would have repercussions, not the last:

http://howardwasright.com/index.php/site/more/458/

Wednesday, February 21, 2007
Obamination
Demercrats item by Erik Rush

How many Americans would vote for a presidential candidate who was the member of a church that professed the following credo?

1. Commitment to God
2. Commitment to the White Community
3. Commitment to the White Family
4. Dedication to the Pursuit of Education
5. Dedication to the Pursuit of Excellence
6. Adherence to the White Work Ethic
7. Commitment to Self-Discipline and Self-Respect
8. Disavowal of the Pursuit of “Middleclassness”
9. Pledge to make the fruits of all developing and acquired skills available to the White Community
10. Pledge to Allocate Regularly, a Portion of Personal Resources for Strengthening and Supporting White Institutions
11. Pledge allegiance to all White leadership who espouse and embrace the White Value System
12. Personal commitment to embracement of the White Value System.

The question is rhetorical, of course. The answer is that such a candidate wouldn’t have a snowball’s chance in hell of getting elected dog catcher (apologies to America’s animal rescue and public safety personnel) let alone President, because that candidate would be instantly branded a racist, among the most vile and frightening of white supremacists.

And those holding the branding irons would be 100% right.

Yet, in the “About” section of the U.S. Senate website for Barack Obama, Democratic senator from Illinois and contender for the Democratic nomination for President of the United States, it states that Obama and his family “live on Chicago’s South Side where they attend Trinity United Church of Christ.”

So…?

Seems the church's pastor is making news, though it's not being picked up by others. Weird that, front page of NY Times, not being discussed. Lots of links at site:

http://www.slate.com/id/2165717/&#obamapastor

Old CW: Not Black Enough; New CW: What's All This Black Business? Tom Maguire wonders why Jodi Kantor's front-page NYT piece on Barack Obama's pastor, Rev. Dr. Jeremiah Wright, hasn't generated more controversy. Having now read it, I tend to agree. I'd certainly be more comfortable with a presidential nominee whose main spiritual man 1) hadn't visited Col. Qaddafi (even back in '84); 2) talked less about "oppression" and "this racist United States of America;" 3) when discussing the solution to poverty, talked more about individual achievement and less about the role of "community"--including maybe even celebrating "middleclassness" instead of using it as shorthand for selfishness; 4) in general wasn't so obsessed with race--as evidenced most negatively in talk of "white arrogance" and derogatory reference to the "Great White West." ... I suspect Rev. Wright is going to be a bigger problem for Obama's campaign than has been conventionally perceived. When Obama declared "we worship an awesome God in the blue states," were voters expecting this?...

P.S.: The attack on "the pursuit of 'middleclassness'" referred to by the NYT and in this Freeper post doesn't seem to appear on the church's web site. At least doesn't appear to be where bloggers once said it was. Has it been expunged? I don't know. ... Update: Several emailers point to this Web Archive site. ...

P.P.S.: Obama's views aren't necessarily his pastor's, as he points out. But Obama himself seems to have embraced the idea that poverty is "rooted in societal indifference and individual callousness"--reflecting Wright's Disturbing Tendencies #2 and #3. Do you think poverty is rooted in "individual callousness"? I don't. ...

[How does Wright's "Black Value System" talk differ from the parallel semi-tribal sentiments you might hear, say, in a synagogue?--ed Relevant question. Further discussion required. I don't think many synagogues rail against "gentile arrogance," for one thing. But I haven't spent a lot of time in synagogues.] 2:15 A.M. link

"in my father's house are many rooms"

Kathianne...do you even GO to church?

Yes dear, I do. I was just posting on a thread I remembered regarding a post on Slate, hardly a bastion of the right wing.

are you down on Obama because he attends a black church in a downtrodden black community that has as its mission the uplifting of that community? That is completely typical of the UCC which is, like it or not, the direct descendant of the church brought over by the pilgrims.

I would have no problem if Bill Richardson attended a UCC church in a downtrodden hispanic community that had as its mission the uplifting of that community and the honoring of that ethnic group trying to make a go of it in a country ruled by whitey.

It seems as if she is down on the church for focusing so much on "race".

and a church in a black downtrodden community that seeks to empower its congregation needs to focus on race and on the goodness of that race and to counteract the second class status that white society has placed on that race since their forefathers were brought over in chains in slave ships.

and a church in a black downtrodden community that seeks to empower its congregation needs to focus on race and on the goodness of that race and to counteract the second class status that white society has placed on that race since their forefathers were brought over in chains in slave ships.

Or it can focus on the commonality of the human race, and teach the actual difference between race and ethnicity. We learn that there is so little difference in DNA as to be none between the "races".

But heck. We can continue to focus on "race" to fix "race" problems, or we can begin to teach the larger picture.

How is it that the President said his little thing that everybody is making fun of?...

Oh yes, 'I'm a big picture guy.'

Teaching "race" as a divisor is the scientific equivalent of teaching Creationism in science class..

oh stop it.... of course the content of character is more important than the color of skin..... Obama's church tries to find ways for downtrodden blacks to feel good about themselves. Some UCC churches try to do similar things to other constituencies. Is it really any skin off your lilly white back? Does it really hurt you or inconvencience you so much that you need to make a big fucking deal about it?

oh stop it.... of course the content of character is more important than the color of skin..... Obama's church tries to find ways for downtrodden blacks to feel good about themselves. Some UCC churches try to do similar things to other constituencies. Is it really any skin off your lilly white back? Does it really hurt you or inconvencience you so much that you need to make a big fucking deal about it?

I am making no big deal of it. I simply pointed out what I understood her to be saying.

Does it really hurt you to hear another point of view about somebody? Did it harm them for me to talk about it on this site? Was I influenced somehow by "racism" by pointing out what I understand another to mean?

Was it really deserving of foulness in language?

Honestly.

I do feel that focusing on "race" as part of a teaching anywhere when it is solely a social construct only perpetuates and continues a problem that will never cease unless we actually begin to promote a different view.

I will continue to promote that message, as did a person whom I consider to be a hero.

no.... I am sorry.... I do not mean to antagonize you...I understand where you are coming from.... and I understand where the board of deacons at Obama's church is coming from....neither place is a bad place.

I am making no big deal of it. I simply pointed out what I understood her to be saying.

Does it really hurt you to hear another point of view about somebody? Did it harm them for me to talk about it on this site? Was I influenced somehow by "racism" by pointing out what I understand another to mean?

Was it really deserving of foulness in language?

Honestly.

I do feel that focusing on "race" as part of a teaching anywhere when it is solely a social construct only perpetuates and continues a problem that will never cease unless we actually begin to promote a different view.
I will continue to promote that message, as did a person whom I consider to be a hero.

:clap2:

I couldn't agree more.

Is it really any skin off your lilly white back?

This is a curiously hateful comment from someone who presumably fancies himself "anti-racist." In my dealings I've always found that those who hate the absolute hardest are those who spend a lot of time denouncing "racism" and "hate" and "oppression" and etc.

Myself, I've always been interested in how folks like "maineman" (from Maine? You know it's the whitest state in the union, right?) come to have such violent sentiments against... whites. I'll bet a lot "maineman" is a white, liberal male living in a very white environment in a place cold enough to keep away blacks and Mexicans. Ever notice how those people rail hardest against "white supremacy"? These kinds would get eaten alive in Harlem, believe me.

This is a curiously hateful comment from someone who presumably fancies himself "anti-racist." In my dealings I've always found that those who hate the absolute hardest are those who spend a lot of time denouncing "racism" and "hate" and "oppression" and etc.

Myself, I've always been interested in how folks like "maineman" (from Maine? You know it's the whitest state in the union, right?) come to have such violent sentiments against... whites. I'll bet a lot "maineman" is a white, liberal male living in a very white environment in a place cold enough to keep away blacks and Mexicans. Ever notice how those people rail hardest against "white supremacy"? These kinds would get eaten alive in Harlem, believe me.
I don't hate whites...I do sort of hate republican assholes like you. but that's about it....and I am a liberal male living in Maine... there are not many blacks in Maine at all, but I do know most of them.... and I live here, not because it is cold enough to keep away the blacks and mexicans (wow! what an incredibly racist thing to even think!) but because the US Navy sent me here on active duty and I fell in love with the sparse population and the beauty of the landscape...plus I am near the ocean which I love.

I don't hate whites...I do sort of hate republican assholes like you. but that's about it....and I am a liberal male living in Maine... there are not many blacks in Maine at all, but I do know most of them.... and I live here, not because it is cold enough to keep away the blacks and mexicans (wow! what an incredibly racist thing to even think!) but because the US Navy sent me here on active duty and I fell in love with the sparse population and the beauty of the landscape...plus I am near the ocean which I love.

I can't wait to move to Montana, because of the sparse population, the beauty of the landscape, and I'll be in or near the mountains which I love.

Oh, and I don't think that WJ is a republican.

! can't wait to move to Montana, because of the sparse population, the beauty of the landscape, and I'll be in or near the mountains which I love.

what? not because you want to get away from colored folks????

Oh, and I don't think that WJ is a republican.

neither do I, but I DO think he is an asshole. :lol:

Forum List

Back