I Would Never Pay For My Kid To Attend A College -

Yeah, it should be like a military camp, no thinking involved at all. I mean, it's not like educations should be encouraging thinking in any way at all. China has it right, just pump out fucking robots.

Nah, you can protest all you want, scream all you want. Just don't get in the way of the administrative flow, or other students' opportunities to gain an education, or cause damages.

If you do, you're expelled, simple as that. No refund, no tickee, no washee.

Frankly, students should be so mired down with curriculum work they don't have time for such puerile nonsense.

No sweat off my back. If some college wants to change at the whims of the students, let em. What do I care. Let's see the education those kids get, are they prepared to become productive citizens upon graduation? If they aren't then the value of the education provided by that school will be devalued, and people won't pay to go there, but hey, they'll have a building with a neat o paint job.

Do you know how many doors have opened to me, simply because I had a degree. It's crazy.

ep_chart_001.png

Those who have less than high school are fare more likely to earn less and more likely to be unemployed. It's quite simple really, the more educated you are, the more you're going to earn.

That has been true, but there is a new dynamic added for many who are graduating- suffocating debt. There are a number of kids graduating today with degrees that will not support the debt they have incurred to pay for the degree. There is a generation full of college grads who are under employed and deep in debt. They will have to forgo buying a house, raising families and even saving for retirement for years. It's caused by predatory lending which is supported and encouraged by our government. They take high school grads with no real life experience, and put them in a situation to go 10's of thousands of dollars in debt to buy something that is not worth the money.

Yeah, it should be like a military camp, no thinking involved at all. I mean, it's not like educations should be encouraging thinking in any way at all. China has it right, just pump out fucking robots.

Nah, you can protest all you want, scream all you want. Just don't get in the way of the administrative flow, or other students' opportunities to gain an education, or cause damages.

Frankly, students should be so mired down with curriculum work they don't have time for such puerile nonsense.

No sweat off my back. If some college wants to change at the whims of the students, let em. What do I care. Let's see the education those kids get, are they prepared to become productive citizens upon graduation? If they aren't then the value of the education provided by that school will be devalued, and people won't pay to go there, but hey, they'll have a building with a neat o paint job.

Do you know how many doors have opened to me, simply because I had a degree. It's crazy.

ep_chart_001.png

Those who have less than high school are fare more likely to earn less and more likely to be unemployed. It's quite simple really, the more educated you are, the more you're going to earn.

That has been true, but there is a new dynamic added for many who are graduating- suffocating debt. There are a number of kids graduating today with degrees that will not support the debt they have incurred to pay for the degree. There is a generation full of college grads who are under employed and deep in debt. They will have to forgo buying a house, raising families and even saving for retirement for years. It's caused by predatory lending which is supported and encouraged by our government. They take high school grads with no real life experience, and put them in a situation to go 10's of thousands of dollars in debt to buy something that is not worth the money.

There is the debt factor, there are other alternatives, go to Germany, for example. The debt is ridiculous. The US wants an educated workforce or not?

It's just another case of the govt looking after their own. You go to universities in other countries and they are functional. They do the job. In the US you have groundsmen riding around on golf carts, you have state of the art sports facilities, you have universities spending thousands on having top sports players, why? What is the point? no point, they just have shit loads of money and they have to spend it.

ep_chart_001.png

There is the debt factor, there are other alternatives, go to Germany, for example. The debt is ridiculous. The US wants an educated workforce or not?

It's just another case of the govt looking after their own. You go to universities in other countries and they are functional. They do the job. In the US you have groundsmen riding around on golf carts, you have state of the art sports facilities, you have universities spending thousands on having top sports players, why? What is the point? no point, they just have shit loads of money and they have to spend it.

Yep, because the government is guaranting college for any high school grad willing to accept the debt. It's predatory lending. These kids have no idea what they are getting themselves into. They just hear people like you say you have to get your degree. Times are changing. I graduated college in early 80's. My entire education cost less than $20K, got a degree from a world renown engineering school, and my first year salary was more than the cost of the degree. Tell me where you find that today. Times are changing.

....you're thinking along the lines of China, where they produce robots. Kids who are so tired by the time they're 12 that all creativity is knocked out of them.

That is not true. It's offensive to demean millions of people you've never met that way.

You do realize why people protest, right? It's the change things.

Yes, again, you're thinking along the lines of China, where they produce robots. Kids who are so tired by the time they're 12 that all creativity is knocked out of them.

You want to change something? Go through the legal process to change it.

Otherwise, pound sand.

I was kept extremely busy in my school years. It only increased my creativity, because the education I received gave me material from which to draw inspiration.

But this isn't always the case. Do you honestly think everyone is exactly the same as you?

Most teachers these days like to claim they teach critical thinking. One cannot think critically unless there is some within one's skull to think critically about.

And no. There is no one like me. Anywhere. :laugh:

Critical thinking isn't easy to teach

It is unarguably easy to teach, so long as you give students something to think critically about, as opposed to telling them what they must think.

How long have you been a teacher?

You want to change something? Go through the legal process to change it.

Otherwise, pound sand.

I was kept extremely busy in my school years. It only increased my creativity, because the education I received gave me material from which to draw inspiration.

But this isn't always the case. Do you honestly think everyone is exactly the same as you?

Most teachers these days like to claim they teach critical thinking. One cannot think critically unless there is some within one's skull to think critically about.

It is unarguably easy to teach, so long as you give students something to think critically about, as opposed to telling them what they must think.

Tae Kwon Do Sabumnim since 1988. Now essentially retired but still drop in occasionally on classes and tournaments.

Tae Kwon Do Sabumnim since 1988. Now essentially retired but still drop in occasionally on classes and tournaments.

That's nice, but applicable to the discussion?

That's nice, but applicable to the discussion?

Of course. Students don't dictate to the Master what they need to learn. That would be silly.

I have taught students of all ages, from four and up.

In terms of critical thinking, it has been my experience that the study of any legitimate martial art requires a certain study of physics and anatomy, along with philosophy, the nature of man and self-discipline, self-construction and the higher human virtues. The first two are the simplest.

The others are more difficult. In those matters the student must not be indoctrinated by ideology, but be presented with choices appropriate to their age in order for them work out within their own minds what choice is the truest and noblest. The point is to aid them in building a strong moral character in spite of the pressures of modern culture, instead of simply telling them how and what to believe.

In my early schooldays, we had fairy tales that taught very young children the higher virtues, and they did a fair job. Those have long since disappeared from the public system.

Now they are taught that government is god, not servant.

ep_chart_001.png

Yep, because the government is guaranting college for any high school grad willing to accept the debt. It's predatory lending. These kids have no idea what they are getting themselves into. They just hear people like you say you have to get your degree. Times are changing. I graduated college in early 80's. My entire education cost less than $20K, got a degree from a world renown engineering school, and my first year salary was more than the cost of the degree. Tell me where you find that today. Times are changing.

Well, any country which makes education difficult to get, will see where this gets them.

Forum List

Back