I work, I pay for me and my son's health insurance - he still doesn't get coverage.

This is why I can't understand why Republicans want to do away with the requirement that hospitals give life saving emergency treatment to patients regardless of ability to pay. As it stands now, that law is the only thing that would keep my son alive if he gets into a bad accident or gets deadly sick.

No, it's not the only thing. Neither is insurance the "only thing". These kinds of narrow-minded assumptions are what create bad policy, where someone decides that the way to fix things is to force their "only thing" on everyone else through government. No thanks.

okay, name some other "things"
Maybe laying a little dynamite into that bear trap of a wallet of yours and paying for services rendered?

I work full time and pay for myself and my son's health insurance through my employer.

That's not good enough, though. Apparently not only do I need to pay for health care for my son, I've got to hope hard enough that the morons that run health insurance can get their idiotic minds together enough to actually give me what I pay for it.

He was denied coverage for his 6 month vaccinations the other day. Some sort of paperwork glitch that according to CIGNA "happens all the time". No big problem - we just have to pay for everything out of pocket until CIGNA can figure out how to give me the product I paid for. Hope he doesn't get pneumonia or anything like that between now and ? when CIGNA feels like giving me the product I paid for. We've got a few thousand in the bank but nothing to cover a big medical event.

Of course - I should have to worry about not having the money to pay for my son's medical expenses - I have health insurance, that's why I bought it - so that I would have to worry about paying for the big event.

FUCK CIGNA - you guys are ASSHOLES>

Its not often you have to pay for vaccinations here. Or medical treatment.

But I shouldn't sing the virtues of a universal health care system, should I?

No, it's not the only thing. Neither is insurance the "only thing". These kinds of narrow-minded assumptions are what create bad policy, where someone decides that the way to fix things is to force their "only thing" on everyone else through government. No thanks.

Infinite ways. Seriously, do you really think we'd all just lay down and die if the insurance industry vanished tomorrow?

good non-answer :thup:

Maybe laying a little dynamite into that bear trap of a wallet of yours and paying for services rendered?

hey, shithead, he paid for the insurance to pay for that.

i knew you weren't a rocket surgeon, but you're revealing depths of stupidity previously unplumbed.

:thup:

Infinite ways. Seriously, do you really think we'd all just lay down and die if the insurance industry vanished tomorrow?

It's a non-question. I could sit here and outline all the different things that people are trying (local community efforts, catastrophic-only insurance coverage, pre-paid, doctor based 'plans', etc, etc....) that will be banned by PPACA, but would it matter?

You're defending a law that forces all of us into one solution (corporate health insurance) and effectively bans all others. Further, it dictates basic details of coverage and limits us to government-sponsored providers. It cuts off at the knees a growing trend to find alternatives to traditional corporate health insurance. I suspect this is why the industry finally acquiesced on health care "reform". They saw it as an opportunity to cement their dominance via force of law.

Last edited:

It's a non-question. I could sit here an outline all the different things that people are trying (local community efforts, catastrophic-only insurance coverage, pre-paid, doctor based 'plans', etc, etc....) that will be banned by PPACA, but would it matter?

You're defending a law that forces all of us into one solution (corporate health insurance) and effectively bans all others. Further, it dictates basic details of coverage and limits us to government-sponsored providers. It cuts off at the knees a growing trend to find alternatives to traditional corporate health insurance. I suspect this is why the industry finally acquiesced on health care "reform". They saw it as an opportunity to cement their dominance via force of law.

no i'm not, you partisan halfwit.

i'm defending the op's right to get what he paid for.

you're the asshat who decided that wanting to have your insurer pay what they contracted to pay for is some defense of obamacare.

the good news for you is that rectal craniotomies will be covered. :thup:

duh

i knew you weren't a rocket surgeon, but you're revealing depths of stupidity previously unplumbed.

I think maybe you're missing Oddball's point. The assumption that we can pay a low monthly premium and simply 'have access' to all the health care we want isn't realistic.

Granted, the insurance salesmen sell it that way, but insurance really doesn't really work that way. It's not a club that you join and then get all the health care you want. It's hedge against unexpected risk. As a means of financing regular expenses, it's just plain dumb. It's far more efficient to pay for services out of pocket. We should be paying for as much of our health care as possible ourselves, and indulging the overhead and expense of insurance only for real catastrophes.

That said, I think Oddball is missing the point as well - as the OP's complaint is simply about insurance companies screwing us over. That's a real problem and one of the reasons I want to see us turn away from insurance as way of dealing with this kind of insecurity. It just doesn't make much sense to do business with a company whose profits depend on them denying you service as much as possible.

I think maybe you're missing Oddball's point. The assumption that we can pay a low monthly premium and simply 'have access' to all the health care we want isn't realistic.

Granted, the insurance salesmen sell it that way, but insurance really doesn't really work that way. It's not a club that you join and then get all the health care you want. It's hedge against unexpected risk. As a means of financing regular expenses, it's just plain dumb. It's far more efficient to pay for services out of pocket. We should be paying for as much of our health care as possible ourselves, and indulging the overhead and expense of insurance only for real catastrophes.
^^^^
This.

That said, I think Oddball is missing the point as well - as the OP's complaint is simply about insurance companies screwing us over. That's a real problem and one of the reasons I want to see us turn away from insurance as way of dealing with this kind of insecurity. It just doesn't make much sense to do business with a company whose profits depend on them denying you service as much as possible.
Actually, my point was a tad more cryptic.

Liberoidal Kool-Aid bangers like Poopy-poo don't seem to give a flying fuck when certain other immense bureaucratic organizations fail or outright refuse to deliver on their promises, like educating kids, reducing/ending poverty, wiping out recreational drug use, running mass transit, or even filling the potholes in the street...In those instances, we're either supposed to pony up more in taxes or lower our expectations and STFU....But woe betide the whole fucking world if HE doesn't get what he says he paid for, exactly where, when and how he wants it, preferably tied up with a pretty gold ribbon.

I was just putting the shoe on the other foot.

^^^^
This.

Actually, my point was a tad more cryptic.

Liberoidal Kool-Aid bangers like Poopy-poo don't seem to give a flying fuck when certain other immense bureaucratic organizations fail or outright refuse to deliver on their promises, like educating kids, reducing/ending poverty, wiping out recreational drug use, running mass transit, or even filling the potholes in the street...In those instances, we're either supposed to pony up more in taxes or lower our expectations and STFU....But woe betide the whole fucking world if HE doesn't get what he says he paid for, exactly where, when and how he wants it, preferably tied up with a pretty gold ribbon.

I was just putting the shoe on the other foot.

if your point is cryptic, it isn't much of a point, is it?

you're probably used to it by now.

He paid for insurance you silly gits.

So now your patting the insurance companies for screwing him out of what he paid for?

I will NEVER understand how insurance companies (and medical facilities of any type, for that matter) can deny coverage for ANY unforseen major illness or trauma.

As far as something as simple as a well baby check up and shots? I'm sure that the insurance company is using any and all monies paid out of pocket to fuel their paychecks...in the meantime, Joe and Jane Doe and little Mikey are struggling to make ends meet all the while paying out to the Ins. Co. every week to make certain that Mikey gets his 'NEEDED' healthcare.

I work full time and pay for myself and my son's health insurance through my employer.

That's not good enough, though. Apparently not only do I need to pay for health care for my son, I've got to hope hard enough that the morons that run health insurance can get their idiotic minds together enough to actually give me what I pay for it.

He was denied coverage for his 6 month vaccinations the other day. Some sort of paperwork glitch that according to CIGNA "happens all the time". No big problem - we just have to pay for everything out of pocket until CIGNA can figure out how to give me the product I paid for. Hope he doesn't get pneumonia or anything like that between now and ? when CIGNA feels like giving me the product I paid for. We've got a few thousand in the bank but nothing to cover a big medical event.

Of course - I should have to worry about not having the money to pay for my son's medical expenses - I have health insurance, that's why I bought it - so that I would have to worry about paying for the big event.

Isn't Obamacare wonderful?

CIGNA. This is not ObamaCare you fucking idiot.

In my 35 year career, I've never had employer coverage of any kind. Not one cent.

But good luck to ya, poopy pants. :thup:

You will survive because you must. And that in itself is a great motivator.

i've always had coverage.

i wouldn't work somewhere that didn't make it part of my compensation, as well as std, ltd, life insurance and a 401k[/QUOTE]

Liar.:eusa_hand:

CIGNA. This is not ObamaCare you fucking idiot.

Apparently you haven't been paying attention the last 4 years. Obamacare requires everyone to get insurance through their job, which is going to be CIGNA, and other companies like it.

it's got nothing to do with obamacare, stooge.

In my 35 year career, I've never had employer coverage of any kind. Not one cent.

But good luck to ya, poopy pants. :thup:

You will survive because you must. And that in itself is a great motivator.

i've always had coverage.

i wouldn't work somewhere that didn't make it part of my compensation, as well as std, ltd, life insurance and a 401k[/QUOTE]

Liar.:eusa_hand:

fuckwit say what?

Last edited:

I had a similar thing happen but it was the dentist. Kids got their check-ups, dentist sent forms to ins. co. then dentist billed me two weeks later (with a late fee included!) because ins. co. didn't pay. So I pay them then called the ins. co. (yeah, dumb on my part should have called the ins. co. first. Live and learn). Ins. co. says they never got the form. Dentist says they faxed it ..oops, fax didn't go through. So I ask dentist when am I going to get my money back. They say 'we only reconcile the books once a month and checks go out after that so it will be three or four weeks since we just did the books'. I said 'oh, I have a late fee policy of $5 if any money that is mine isn't returned within two weeks'. They didn't find it amusing; I didn't find them to be very accommodating considering they were the ones who screwed up in the first place. When I finally got my money back I switched dentists.

You can put off your son's vaccinations until you get the insurance problem resolved. You can also talk to your doctor and asked to be billed for any services, that gives you some time to get the problem straightened out. What exactly did CIGNA say was the problem anyway? If it's just a paperwork glitch that 'happens all the time' then they should resolve it fairly quickly. Any big emergency comes up in the meantime? Just explain the situation and asked to be billed.

it's got nothing to do with obamacare, stooge.

I thought Obamacare made everyone in America buy insurance from giant companies like CIGNA. When did that change?

Forum List

Back