I won't Vote in 2012

This is not some "platitude" this is reality.

If you have a look at history you'll find this exact scenario played out over and over again.

From Rome to the Modern day, you'll find that many Democratic nations gave up Democracy on their own.

To some pretty horrific outcomes.

It's the responsibility of every citizen in this country to make sure that doesn't happen.

Because believe it or not..as bad as it is now..it can get far worse.

I'm not sure we're talking about the same things, tbh.

Lack of participation, imo, is not why the Country is currently as corrupt as it is.

To me, it's simply greed.

A simple get out the vote won't fix that aspect of human nature, and further, it won't even help it (it has? Since when?).

There's room for optimism in my world, ALWAYS.
But it never seems to trump reality.

The lack of voting is not what's wrong with our Country. It's the controllers of our Economy, that are what's wrong with this Country. And if everyone on the list is thusly controlled by $greed$ in one form or another, I refuse to continue to dignify them with a Vote. It's counterintuitive, to me.

Show me the right fucking person. I'm not going to politely ask for it any more and plug my nose and pull a lever when it's not delivered. All that means is that I voted for the best sounding lying ass hole.

I'm going to demand it, from now on.

If that goes against whatever plan was meant for Democracy, then it's not my albatross to wear. It's the greedy's albatross to wear.

The problems are you are alluding to are the direct result of a "lack" of voting and a "lack" of participation by the electorate in government.

And the main problem is that when things are going well for people, for the most part, they don't pay attention. They want to raise their families, go to work, go to the movies, have bbqs and not really worry about the issues facing the country.

And then there are those that capitalize on that attitude. The pump big money into candidate that are friendly to their agenda, and do their very best to legislate in their favor.

They rely on people remaining apathetic..or pissed off. To pissed to vote.

And that's why we are at this point.

Sallow,

We can agree to disagree here. I do understand your point of view. I just don't think in practice that it's exactly what's going on, is all.

Sallow,

We can agree to disagree here. I do understand your point of view. I just don't think in practice that it's exactly what's going on, is all.

But it is exactly what's going on.

Don't take my word for it.

Pick up a book on Rome.

Seriously.

Just read one.

Sallow,

But it is exactly what's going on.

Don't take my word for it.

Pick up a book on Rome.

Seriously.

Just read one.

I disagree, still.

To me, it's follow the money.

We can ALL, 100% of us, Vote, but it will STILL yield a Corporately owned croney. How do I know?> Who else has the promotional capabilities?

Well...I'm going to walk into the wind...kind of...

I think you have a total right to say "I don't like any of these canidates, neither stand for what I believe in and I'm not voting for either of them." and still have a right to complain.

I think it's a principled position.

You have convictions that you don't want to comprimise...I can respect that.

BUT...and you know there was a but...I wouldn't skip election day, there is more on the ballot than POTUS.

Write yourself in, and vote in the other elections and referendums, but don't stay home.

Last edited:
Well...I going walk into the wind...kind of...

I think you have a total right to say "I don't like any of these canidates, neither stand for what I believe in and I'm not voting for either of them." and still have a right to complain.

I think it's a principled position.

You have convictions that you don't want to comprimise...I can respect that.

BUT...and you know there was a but...I wouldn't skip election day, there is more on the ballot than POTUS.

Write yourself in, and vote in the other elections and referendums, but don't stay home.

And I respect this post.

I've often wondered why people consider a throw-away vote (voting for a candidate you know has no chance to win) participating in the system and laudable, but not voting at all is some horrible evil. In both cases, you know your vote or lack of same will have the same effect on the outcome : none.

I do understand wanting as many people as possible to participate in the electoral process. The problem is that, based on our history, when it comes to presidential elections that participation only means something when voting for a Dem or Rep (minus a few exceptions).

If I want neither the Dem nor Rep candidate to be elected and don't see either as a 'lesser of two evils', am I really doing anything by writing in, say, the name of a neighbor who I consider the best-suited person for president I know, but that no one outside my community has ever heard of, that is different than not voting at all? Sure, I can say, "I voted!" but what was the point? I knew my vote would have as much effect on the outcome of the election as if I had not voted at all.

I understand G.T.'s feelings completely. I do not see much measurable difference between the two parties. Sure, there's plenty of rhetoric and pandering, but in practice, Dem or Rep seems to make little real difference. Maybe if there were a viable independent candidate to vote for, things would look different, but as far as I can see there is not. Rather than picking the lesser of two evils, for some of us at least, it is more a matter of picking a flavor of equal evils.

I've often wondered why people consider a throw-away vote (voting for a candidate you know has no chance to win) participating in the system and laudable, but not voting at all is some horrible evil. In both cases, you know your vote or lack of same will have the same effect on the outcome : none.

I do understand wanting as many people as possible to participate in the electoral process. The problem is that, based on our history, when it comes to presidential elections that participation only means something when voting for a Dem or Rep (minus a few exceptions).

If I want neither the Dem nor Rep candidate to be elected and don't see either as a 'lesser of two evils', am I really doing anything by writing in, say, the name of a neighbor who I consider the best-suited person for president I know, but that no one outside my community has ever heard of, that is different than not voting at all? Sure, I can say, "I voted!" but what was the point? I knew my vote would have as much effect on the outcome of the election as if I had not voted at all.

I understand G.T.'s feelings completely. I do not see much measurable difference between the two parties. Sure, there's plenty of rhetoric and pandering, but in practice, Dem or Rep seems to make little real difference. Maybe if there were a viable independent candidate to vote for, things would look different, but as far as I can see there is not. Rather than picking the lesser of two evils, for some of us at least, it is more a matter of picking a flavor of equal evils.

you............complete..me.

lol j/p.

Thanks for the post. Maybe I'm not nuts afterall.

There's no point. I'm not going to plug my nose and Vote for Obama and I'm not going to plug my nose for a GOP Hannity/Rush dick licker, either.

Instead of voting that day, I'm going get road-head on the Coast, eat a Lobster dinner in Maine, and possibly play checkers with a Moose. Moose will probably win, so I won't bet money.
Dont vote then you have place to complain about the candidate!

There's no point. I'm not going to plug my nose and Vote for Obama and I'm not going to plug my nose for a GOP Hannity/Rush dick licker, either.

Instead of voting that day, I'm going get road-head on the Coast, eat a Lobster dinner in Maine, and possibly play checkers with a Moose. Moose will probably win, so I won't bet money.
Dont vote then you have place to complain about the candidate!

hrrm?

Forum List

Back