I wonder if this is Romney's reason.........

ABikerSailor

Diamond Member
Aug 26, 2008
Newberry, SC
You know........a friend of mine and I were talking recently about Mitt Romney and why he won't release his tax returns, and she told me that it could be that he's been deficient in his tithing requirements to the Mormon church, and releasing his tax returns would show his bishop how much money he REALLY makes.

Here's a link.........

Tithing always comes first in Mormonism. Any member who is struggling in any way (job loss, broken down car, depression, etc) will always be counseled to pay tithing in order to receive blessings. All blessings, privileges and callings in the LDS Church are centered around tithing. Without paying a full tithe, a member cannot be a “member in good standing”.

Mormons are required by Commandment of God to pay 10% of all their GROSS income to the LDS church. This includes all income, including, employment, social security, Medicare, food stamps and trust funds and any other form of income, even including finding money on the ground.

The Church Of Jesus-Christ of Latter-Day Saints brings in an estimated 6.5 to 7.0 billion dollars a year in annual tithing revenues. The Church refuses to disclose to the public or its members how much money it receives annually and what those funds are used for. Because the LDS Church is a tax-exempt organization, it does not have to publicly disclose financial books.

In 2005 the LDS Church purchased two shopping malls in Downtown Salt Lake City for $500 million dollars. The Church plans to spend $1 to $3.5 billion dollars renovating them. In official statements from LDS Church, the Church claims that not one dollar of member tithing funds went into the deal.

Mormons are required to attend a Tithing Settlement with the Bishop each year. A member is questioned in a one-on-one interview with the Bishop to ensure the member is paying a full 10%. Those members who are not paying a full 10% loose their temple recommends and are prevented from entering the Temple.

Mormons who loose their temple recommends are in serious jeopardy of loosing their Celestial blessings. A Mormon who does not pay tithing cannot enter the temple. If a member cannot get into the temple, the member cannot learn the secret handshake, secret password, secret "new name" and special “sealings”. Without these, the member will be unable to pass Joseph Smith and the angels who guard the entrance to the Celestial Kingdom.

The Mormon Curtain - MORMON TITHING

So..........what do the rest of you think? It would look really bad for him to be the nominee and have his church kick him out.

Tithing is between a man and God. No one has ever been excommunicated for failure to pay tithing.

He has money. I am not sure what releasing tax returns does anyway other than tell us they have money.

Mitt ought to tell the press that as soon as Obama releases his college transcripts, he will release his tax returns. Oh wait, that would make Mitt a racist! Must not question the Obama!!

sw50sw8sw578.gif

Tithing is between a man and God. No one has ever been excommunicated for failure to pay tithing.

In Christian churches they wouldn't be excommunicated for it. By the article it looks like it's a strict requirement for Mormons. I think it's pretty sickening for any religion to tell someone the HAVE TO pay our your out! That's crazy! But, some of these cultish religions are just that way, have their own rules.

Like the JW ...they're some really strange ones! If your family belong to this, and one person in that family decides to leave, their whole family are not supposed to have any communications with that person unless they come back. So you're disowned by your own family for not wanting to following their religion. It's pretty sick!

He has money. I am not sure what releasing tax returns does anyway other than tell us they have money.

Yeah........but he's hid his money in offshore accounts (Bain capital) and there are a lot of things financially his bishop might not be aware of.

You're supposed to give 10 percent to the church every year. If Romney was to count all his holdings and not just what he's earned via speaking fees, he's severely underpaid his church.

Don't think their rules are draconian? Here's another part from the same link........

Mormons are commanded that tithing must come first before anything else. Utah has the highest rate of bankruptcies in the United States. Mormons often are told "I cannot pay my bills until I've paid my tithing." Mormons will even pay their tithing rather than give the money to a relative who is on the verge of eviction. Mormon published magazines (Ensign, New Era) constantly stress that tithing must always be paid.

Recently, Mormon Senator Orrin Hatch passed legislation that allowed members to pay a full tithe even while they were in bankruptcy court. (See S. 4044).

Mormons are told: "if a destitute family is faced with the decision of paying their tithing or eating, they should pay their tithing." (Lynn Robbins, General Conference, April 2005).

Mormons who have not paid tithing will be denied a temple recommend and will be considered "unworthy". However; Mormons who pay "back-tithing" (some as much as $5000 or more) are instantly found to be worthy and can receive their temple recommends back once the money has been paid. The Mormon Church uses this as an extortion method when it comes to temple marriages. Parents or family members who have not paid tithing are required to pay back tithing - sometimes in the thousands of dollars - which must be paid before a temple recommend can be issued in order to see their own children married.

Mormons are further threatened that if they do not pay a full tithe, they will be burned with fire when Jesus Christ comes again. Mormons see Tithing as "fire insurance".

Mormons who claim that tithing is purely "a personal choice" are deceiving themselves and outright lying.

I mean, even if you're going bankrupt, you're still required to pay tithe.

I wonder why our 'liberal' friends never take the same interest in the records of their President?

Still puzzled as to why he won't release those college records. So how come y'all get so bent out of shape about Romney, and not your POTUS and his lack of transparency.

I wonder why our 'liberal' friends never take the same interest in the records of their President?

Still puzzled as to why he won't release those college records. So how come y'all get so bent out of shape about Romney, and not your POTUS and his lack of transparency.

Obama is running the most transparent administration ever. He even got an award for it.....

Obama finally accepts his transparency award... behind closed doors - The Federal Eye - The Washington Post

Now they are rethinking the whole thing....

Rescind President Obama's 'Transparency Award' now | Open letter | Comment is free | guardian.co.uk

oops....

Obama is running the most transparent administration ever. He even got an award for it.....

Obama finally accepts his transparency award... behind closed doors - The Federal Eye - The Washington Post

Rescind President Obama's 'Transparency Award' now | Open letter | Comment is free | guardian.co.uk

oops....

I think, if you dig around USMB, you will find a rather entertaining thread - started by yours truly *bows* on evidence from one of the world's leading institutions on governmental transparency and their evidence based research showing that Obama's Administration is not only less transparent than the previous - it is, indeed, the least transparent since research began. :eusa_shhh: Don't tell the liberals - they get very, very cranky about it. :lol:

Nothing to contribute about the thread as usual I see.

oops....

I think, if you dig around USMB, you will find a rather entertaining thread - started by yours truly *bows* on evidence from one of the world's leading institutions on governmental transparency and their evidence based research showing that Obama's Administration is not only less transparent than the previous - it is, indeed, the least transparent since research began. :eusa_shhh: Don't tell the liberals - they get very, very cranky about it. :lol:

yup you said that right!!!:eusa_whistle:

Did someone say that Romney refused to release his tax returns?

That's strange because I distinctly heard him say he would release his tax returns in April.

You know........a friend of mine and I were talking recently about Mitt Romney and why he won't release his tax returns, and she told me that it could be that he's been deficient in his tithing requirements to the Mormon church, and releasing his tax returns would show his bishop how much money he REALLY makes.

Here's a link.........

Tithing always comes first in Mormonism. Any member who is struggling in any way (job loss, broken down car, depression, etc) will always be counseled to pay tithing in order to receive blessings. All blessings, privileges and callings in the LDS Church are centered around tithing. Without paying a full tithe, a member cannot be a “member in good standing”.

Mormons are required by Commandment of God to pay 10% of all their GROSS income to the LDS church. This includes all income, including, employment, social security, Medicare, food stamps and trust funds and any other form of income, even including finding money on the ground.

The Church Of Jesus-Christ of Latter-Day Saints brings in an estimated 6.5 to 7.0 billion dollars a year in annual tithing revenues. The Church refuses to disclose to the public or its members how much money it receives annually and what those funds are used for. Because the LDS Church is a tax-exempt organization, it does not have to publicly disclose financial books.

In 2005 the LDS Church purchased two shopping malls in Downtown Salt Lake City for $500 million dollars. The Church plans to spend $1 to $3.5 billion dollars renovating them. In official statements from LDS Church, the Church claims that not one dollar of member tithing funds went into the deal.

Mormons are required to attend a Tithing Settlement with the Bishop each year. A member is questioned in a one-on-one interview with the Bishop to ensure the member is paying a full 10%. Those members who are not paying a full 10% loose their temple recommends and are prevented from entering the Temple.

Mormons who loose their temple recommends are in serious jeopardy of loosing their Celestial blessings. A Mormon who does not pay tithing cannot enter the temple. If a member cannot get into the temple, the member cannot learn the secret handshake, secret password, secret "new name" and special “sealings”. Without these, the member will be unable to pass Joseph Smith and the angels who guard the entrance to the Celestial Kingdom.

So..........what do the rest of you think? It would look really bad for him to be the nominee and have his church kick him out.

BRIGHAM YOUNG!!! I think you're right!!!

That's strange because I distinctly heard him say he would release his tax returns in April.

No........he said he MIGHT.

Interestingly enough, his father had no problem releasing 12 years worth, but then again, his father probably paid a proper tithe.

Romney has hid money offshore and is loathe to release his returns. Every time he's asked, his answer is always "maybe".

Nope, he's never said anything definite.

No........he said he MIGHT.

Interestingly enough, his father had no problem releasing 12 years worth, but then again, his father probably paid a proper tithe.

Romney has hid money offshore and is loathe to release his returns. Every time he's asked, his answer is always "maybe".

Nope, he's never said anything definite.

He 'hid' money? From who? He hasn't 'hidden' it very well, since the whole fucking country knows where it is. What's the matter, GayBikerBoy, you jealous of the rich dude?

Idiot.

Forum List

Back